Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any utilities to show whether my RAM is seriously starving my CPU of info?

Or perhaps the more informed of u can tell from my current setup

P4 2.4a OCed @ 2.6
768mb of PC2100 RAM
Asus P4S800
FSB running at 4x112(448mhz)
Memory Bus speed at 2x149(298mhz)

sandra memory bandwidth benchmark i get around 2000Mb/s

I'm considering getting Corsair 2x512 3200 in the near future.

Is there a major difference in performance/overclockability between the Corsair CAS2 PT and the LL PT versions?

Cheers for ur input
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

Are there any utilities to show whether my RAM is seriously starving my CPU of info?

Or perhaps the more informed of u can tell from my current setup

P4 2.4a OCed @ 2.6
768mb of PC2100 RAM
Asus P4S800
FSB running at 4x112(448mhz)
Memory Bus speed at 2x149(298mhz)

sandra memory bandwidth benchmark i get around 2000Mb/s

I'm considering getting Corsair 2x512 3200 in the near future.

Is there a major difference in performance/overclockability between the Corsair CAS2 PT and the LL PT versions?

Cheers for ur input

Gotta love that P4S800!
lol
And yes, its probably the memory. BUT, what kind of PSU do you have? How many amps on the 12+v line because the 2.4's ALWAYS have a good overclock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought a new Tagan 480W and stuck it in few days ago.

does 28A down ye olde 12v line.

I love my Asus P4S800 so much its going into its own retirement box...it deserves a long rest...very long
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

Bought a new Tagan 480W and stuck it in few days ago.

does 28A down ye olde 12v line.

I love my Asus P4S800 so much its going into its own retirement box...it deserves a long rest...very long

Yup, lol. Cheap, reliable, good overclocker.. everything... lol.
But anywho, 28a is enough. What kind of cooling you got on there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a nice open case configuration for now


everything stock, not even an extraction fan.

Considering getting the Thermalright XP-120 heatsink, still thinkin in concern of futureproofing, prob get it anyway cos its a beast.

The lack of "proper" parts is cos I'd only really embarked on the path of the overclocker seriously over the past two weeks.

All cos of half life 2 bumming my system out....yes....hl2....my precious...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

a nice open case configuration for now


everything stock, not even an extraction fan.

Considering getting the Thermalright XP-120 heatsink, still thinkin in concern of futureproofing, prob get it anyway cos its a beast.

The lack of "proper" parts is cos I'd only really embarked on the path of the overclocker seriously over the past two weeks.

All cos of half life 2 bumming my system out....yes....hl2....my precious...

Ya, with stock you should still be able to push about 2.8-3.0 with that processor, just watch the temps. I'm still running stock cooler and I've got 3.4Ghz... with a Celeron... lol.
The only problem you might run into, is that the board only supports up to 1.6Vcore, compared to the usual 1.8-2.0V...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

sandra memory bandwidth benchmark i get around 2000Mb/s

I'm considering getting Corsair 2x512 3200 in the near future.

Is there a major difference in performance/overclockability between the Corsair CAS2 PT and the LL PT versions?

Cheers for ur input

Ya the memory is really holding you back. Even at this state you should be getting around 2500+ in mem bandwidth, unless the memory is on a divider other than 1:1.

The Corsair c2 pt are standard cas 2 with normal other latancies, LLs are cas 2 with lower than standard latancies, and the new XLs are the lowest latancies avaible with 2.2.2.5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Ya, with stock you should still be able to push about 2.8-3.0 with that processor, just watch the temps. I'm still running stock cooler and I've got 3.4Ghz... with a Celeron... lol.
The only problem you might run into, is that the board only supports up to 1.6Vcore, compared to the usual 1.8-2.0V....

really? 3.0 on stock? hmm, i think i ran it up at 2.8 before and was playing C&C generals 2 years ago and it kept crashin on me at that setting. Now i know that voltages play a part in stability...but does the mobo really only allow 1.6? that means i've only got 0.05V to play with...

Quote:


Originally Posted by zother

Ya the memory is really holding you back. Even at this state you should be getting around 2500+ in mem bandwidth, unless the memory is on a divider other than 1:1.

The Corsair c2 pt are standard cas 2 with normal other latancies, LLs are cas 2 with lower than standard latancies, and the new XLs are the lowest latancies avaible with 2.2.2.5.

Are the differences in the performance from a step in latency really major?

cos jumping from c2 to LL will cost me around £45 (bringing it up to £200)

I just need to know if its really worth spending all that on the difference in a single stepping in latency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mauguai

Are the differences in the performance from a step in latency really major?

cos jumping from c2 to LL will cost me around £45 (bringing it up to £200)

I just need to know if its really worth spending all that on the difference in a single stepping in latency.

Between the c2 and LL I would say the diffrence in nominal, but the XL are a good jump in performance because they use the Samsung TCCD chips which have good OC potential with low latancies and voltages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by zother

Between the c2 and LL I would say the diffrence in nominal, but the XL are a good jump in performance because they use the Samsung TCCD chips which have good OC potential with low latancies and voltages.

I've just had a wee look at the prices for 2x512 3200XL and astonished to find it at £187(whereas the LL PT was £200 on the SAME site). strange.

Anyhoo i'm probably gonna just go for it and get the XL as advised.

Unless of course there is a damn good reason why I should be aiming for higher rated ram (PC4000+) with regard to futureproofing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can't edit for some reason...

the ram i was talking about was called:

XMS3200 1gb 2x512 DDR XL

is this actually the TwinX set? or could it actually be something else? (the lower price than the LL PT is worrying)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
apologies for multi posting...but edit still bust.

ignore my last msg, i'm blind, just saw "corsair twinx1024-3200XL"

Happy days
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top