Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Titanium HD from Best Buy San Jose today for $47.99 and I thought I would share my initial thoughts with you guys after a few hours of listening to music and gaming. I am coming from a regular Titanium sound card. My headphones are AD700's.

Here are the main differences:

- Better up/down positioning. I noticed this in BF3. With the regular Titanium, you cannot differentiate a sound very well if it is coming from below you (downstairs in a building) or behind you/right next to you. With the HD, it is easier to differentiate the noises. Also when a Jet flies overhead, it is easier to tell exactly how high the jet is.

- Handles high frequencies better. When bullets flew past me in BF3, I got a little bit of a muddy, sharp tone with the Titanium. With the HD the sound is a lot more crisp and clear. They almost sound realistic!

- More realistic sounds. At one point I was going to get a tank in BF3 when it exploded when I was right next to me, and I jumped a little IRL (using HD). The sound was extremely realistic! I RPG'd a tank with my regular Titanium and the sound was still very realistic but it was different that the HD sound. Something was definitely off.

- Easier to pinpoint where footsteps are coming from. I used MW2 for the PC to test this. It was easier to tell exactly how far people were from you, and in what direction they were.

- Music quality: The music quality is a little richer than the regular Titanium. It handles higher frequencies better. I listened to some high quality metal tracks and the highs were clearer and more vibrant than the regular Titanium. The bass was the same for the most part

- Movies: For this I used one of the Bourne movies that we had at home, and watched 3 smalls sections. For the most part they sounded the same, except for two things. During the scene where the sniper shoots the guy at the train station, the loading and setting-up of the weapon sounds slightly different, and the high pitched clicking is more easily heard through the background music. Also during one of the explosion scenes, the clarity of the explosion just sounded better with the HD.

- Physical things: Well for one, you can have multiple sources hooked up to the HD, but you can only have one sound output connected to the regular Titanium. You can also change the Op-Amps on the HD. The dark cover is a plus since it will not get as dusty. Also, it looks a hell of a lot sexier!

That's all I have for now. I have only had the card for like 6 hours, but it is a great card so far. For $47.99 it was a steal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ComradeNF
View Post

I picked up a Titanium HD from Best Buy San Jose today for $47.99 and I thought I would share my initial thoughts with you guys after a few hours of listening to music and gaming. I am coming from a regular Titanium sound card. My headphones are AD700's.

Here are the main differences:

- Better up/down positioning. I noticed this in BF3. With the regular Titanium, you cannot differentiate a sound very well if it is coming from below you (downstairs in a building) or behind you/right next to you. With the HD, it is easier to differentiate the noises. Also when a Jet flies overhead, it is easier to tell exactly how high the jet is.

- Handles high frequencies better. When bullets flew past me in BF3, I got a little bit of a muddy, sharp tone with the Titanium. With the HD the sound is a lot more crisp and clear. They almost sound realistic!

- More realistic sounds. At one point I was going to get a tank in BF3 when it exploded when I was right next to me, and I jumped a little IRL (using HD). The sound was extremely realistic! I RPG'd a tank with my regular Titanium and the sound was still very realistic but it was different that the HD sound. Something was definitely off.

- Easier to pinpoint where footsteps are coming from. I used MW2 for the PC to test this. It was easier to tell exactly how far people were from you, and in what direction they were.

- Music quality: The music quality is a little richer than the regular Titanium. It handles higher frequencies better. I listened to some high quality metal tracks and the highs were clearer and more vibrant than the regular Titanium. The bass was the same for the most part

- Movies: For this I used one of the Bourne movies that we had at home, and watched 3 smalls sections. For the most part they sounded the same, except for two things. During the scene where the sniper shoots the guy at the train station, the loading and setting-up of the weapon sounds slightly different, and the high pitched clicking is more easily heard through the background music. Also during one of the explosion scenes, the clarity of the explosion just sounded better with the HD.

That's all I have for now. I have only had the card for like 6 hours, but it is a great card so far. For $47.99 it was a steal.

wow where in the world did you get it for 47.99? also nice review/impressions now i want one
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,138 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

Sweet now you're doin reviews!

"Best Buy's ******ed."

lol

Best Buy is ******ed
. A few months ago I was browsing their laptops and I overheard one of their employees telling a customer that a Core2Duo laptop was faster than the i5 laptop with HT just so they could get rid of their inventory.

And their prices suck too. $220 for a 5770? Come on... Come on Best Buy...
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,138 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ComradeNF
View Post

Best Buy is ******ed
. A few months ago I was browsing their laptops and I overheard one of their employees telling a customer that a Core2Duo laptop was faster than the i5 laptop with HT just so they could get rid of their inventory.

Wow...never trust best buy employees...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

Sweet now you're doin reviews!

"Best Buy's ******ed."

lol

ME TOO hahaha.

I thought you'd sound more Swedish. BTW optical "usually" uses TOSlink so it is different. *edit* Didn't watch it far enough lol. The cables that come with it look like Mini TOSlink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

Wow...never trust best buy employees...

And people actually cave into the ignorance =/. That's how Best Buy makes their money, ignorant PC buyers. Have you seen the prices of desktops there? There are some H67 desktops over $1000 with integrated graphics!

Although they do have some great deals from time to time (today for example). HP Touchpad for $100 was good too. Every so often they give a $50 gift card when you purchase a game console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ComradeNF
View Post

And people actually cave into the ignorance =/. That's how Best Buy makes their money, ignorant PC buyers. Have you seen the prices of desktops there? There are some H67 desktops over $1000 with integrated graphics!

Although they do have some great deals from time to time (today for example). HP Touchpad for $100 was good too. Every so often they give a $50 gift card when you purchase a game console.

And then Amazon price matches it with no tax
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Psykhotic
View Post

ME TOO hahaha.

I thought you'd sound more Swedish. BTW optical "usually" uses TOSlink so it is different. *edit* Didn't watch it far enough lol. The cables that come with it look like Mini TOSlink.

The reason I don't have a Swedish accent is because I lived in Texas for a couple years during Elementary school and I picked up English. Also, I attended an international school in Sweden for 2 years, although I was in the Swedish program. Since it was an international school though, I spoke English with friends. But if you listen, I mis-pronounce things a lot and sometimes I blabber on about strange things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
I've had mine for two months now. It excels in games and BF3 was amazing with it.

Glad to see you're enjoying it OP. HD w/ AD700s, Killer Combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dade_kash_xD
View Post

You have to use a receiver with multichannel analog inputs to use with that card to be able to hook up the speakers VIA RCA. Man Best Buy has that hard for $119.99 right now! I WISH I could buy that card for $47.99!!!

So what are those jacks on back, other than Mic and headphones...?

Like i said, newb to PC audio...
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top