Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let me start by first saying I am no audiophile. I have recently been on a get the most out of my PC phase and now i'm on to audio. I use my on board sound and play my audio with Winamp, Rock preset EQ. I have a 3 speaker (2 regular speakers, one big one with a bass hole or whatever its called.) Altec Lansing I bought from Costco a few years ago. I recently missed the $30 sound card that was a big deal on Amazon.com, but I wouldn't know how to tell if it would make things sound better anyway. I have an iPod but would like to replace it with a Zune within the next few months and am probably going to buy those Beta Brainwavez for it. I bought a pair of Koss KSC75 on Amazon a month ago for $15 and just now opened them. I usually prefer to play games and music through my speakers but may start wearing these for games for added immersion.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Consider upgrading is you want that "1080p" of audio, else, onboards these days are perfectly fine to listen to music, movies and games, 99% of the time..

The thing with the hole is a subwoofer

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I probably won't unless the card goes on sale again. I think what I'm going to do then is try to find the right software configuration. Anyone here a Winamp expert? lol.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I used winamp for +10years

The thing that could harm the sound is probably the way you set up your speakers. I think those are cheap ones, but it can still play great at a given volume with a decent EQing.

You probably have a bass level on that sub(woofer), don't set it to 10 (Let's say it's 1 to 10). I'd set it to about 3-4..

To get to the sweet spots with the speakers tones (if you have a knob for that), I would probably set WinAmp to the Classical preset.
I'd compare with the Rock preset and stuff, but probably would stick to the classical one and then fine-tune the tone knobs and sub bass.

Classical presets usually EQ around the mid/hi ranges than bass, but not too much, I think that it's better than a flat EQing..

Sure some would say ohhh you need to get the real sound before EQ the hardware (flat software EQ and then fine-tune the speakers knobs), but I don't agree.

Find the average volume that you'd use before making permanent settings, because lowering-raising the volume will change all the dynamics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts