Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I finally got around to dabbling with excel, these semi-quasi charts are the best I can do atm... I initially did these benchmarks and charts to help quantify just how much overclocking a cheap/budget cpu can improve performance. As I worked through them I decided I also wanted to get idea of what impact ram frequency and timings had as well. I have yet to flesh out the timings and test them indepth but I may do that later on(if anyone shows interest that is), as well as possibly testing straps and fsb saturation(ie 133x9 vs 200x6)... But I think I am all benched out for now, running the benches became rather tedious, so a large scale update might take a week or so.

Some background on the settings and benchmarks and how they were conducted:

1. Upon entering XP with new settings I allowed the comp to sit a minute, thereafter I ended all unnecessary processes (same 4 everytime).
2. All runs were completed on the 1066 strap, except stock which auto defaulted to the 800 strap.
3. The timings are all 4-4-4-5 2t, expect @ 3006mhz all runs with 2/3 divider became 5-5-5-15 2t up to and including 3105mhz beyond that 2/3 pushed my ram beyond what 2.15 vDIMM would allow.
4. I took screens of every run, uncompressed totals 31.7mb using 7zip 12.6mb I will upload if anyone wants them.
5. To calculate actual memory freq (overall cpu freq / 9) X 2 X (inverted memory divider)... EX (3006mhz/9) X 2 X (3/2) = 1002 ddr2

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
That is some major work there mate. Glad to see my chip is capable of such thing. Rep+

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Good stuff, I think i will get one of these cpu's for my dad's rig. He's on an old AMD rig and wants a cheap C2D upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by shajbot View Post
That is some major work there mate. Glad to see my chip is capable of such thing. Rep+

Quote:
W0W!!!! Nice work

Quote:
Those numbers are very helpful for people who are trying to get some real world comparisons. Thank you for your effort.

Quote:
Good stuff, I think i will get one of these cpu's for my dad's rig. He's on an old AMD rig and wants a cheap C2D upgrade.
Thanks guys, just wanted to try and contribute... Hopefully this will help other e4300 owners out there.

Darn just tried uploading the 7z archive of the screens but I think I may have to convert it over to zip.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Wo, are you guys kidding? If he didn't do it the first time around, so he has to do it all over again?

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Maybe you could integrate temperatures at different voltages, give people an idea of what temps to expect.
Thats good idea, but if I do that I probably would want the measurements to be as accurate as possible... Whats the best way to ensure such accuracy? Would I need to use hardware to take the temps or simply use a software program?

OT- I just converted my 7z archive to zip and it doubled in size
... Where can I upload the 7z for free?

**EDIT**I recorded the vCORE set in BIOS and I can provide that but as per monitoring the temps I never recorded them, since they were never a real problem for me. Orthos only pushed my max temp to 60C when @ 1.445 vCORE which is the voltage 3303 mhz requires. Its also difficult to normalize and assume temps will be the same across different systems, moreso than pure CPU performance anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
Thats good idea, but if I do that I probably would want the measurements to be as accurate as possible... Whats the best way to ensure such accuracy? Would I need to use hardware to take the temps or simply use a software program?

megaupload or rapidshare .com

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post

Spit and finger method

Nah, TAT and Coretemp are what most folks rely on.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nice work Kromm
. Like grunion says, use TAT or Coretemp. I use coretemp on my 4300, the newer version reads them correctly, it knows the tjunction temp on 4300 should be 100C. TAT also gives me the exact same readings. Some people use speedfan, I think it's also accurate now, I haven't used that for a long time though.

OT- zacbrain, lmao hard about your avatar
. Watching it a few times and just kept getting funnier!

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is some fine work Kromm. Thanks for sharing.

You should put a link to this thread in your sig. Maybe it will inspire others to do the same thing with their rigs.

I don't normally say this in a thread but... +rep for your dedication to the hobby and for sharing your results with this forum!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Over
View Post

THanks alot dude now i cant wait to hit 3Ghz once i change me mobo.

You mobo looks ok. I would rather upgrade to ddr800 if possible =)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts