Overclock.net banner

9881 - 9889 of 9889 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are correct, there should be 16 dedicated lanes coming directly from CPU (8 if you are using APU or Athlon) to X16_1 slot, 4 for M.2 and 4 for X370 chipset. According to the manual X1_1 and X1_3 are sharing bandwidth with X16_3. And all those lanes are from chipset. It's not mentioning X1_2 so I'll assume it has dedicated bandwidth, but still, it's coming from X370 chipset. Anyway, I would try that one maybe? Otherwise I would suspect board has some glitch or maybe GPU is faulty ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
if i understand the board. gpu is on first x16 slot. second (middle) x16 slot should stay empty. otherwise, they go to x8 mode.
Hmmm, thanks. That is the case right now: Only the top x16 slot is occupied by my gpu, the soundcard is in one of those smaller single slots. I will probably have to look for the cause of this problem somewhere else other than the slots I put my cards in, as that doesn't seem to be the problem then. I have no idea where to look for a solution other than drivers and bios settings etc, which I already reinstalled/reset etc. Thanks for your response anyway!

EDIT:

You are correct, there should be 16 dedicated lanes coming directly from CPU (8 if you are using APU or Athlon) to X16_1 slot, 4 for M.2 and 4 for X370 chipset. According to the manual X1_1 and X1_3 are sharing bandwidth with X16_3. And all those lanes are from chipset. It's not mentioning X1_2 so I'll assume it has dedicated bandwidth, but still, it's coming from X370 chipset. Anyway, I would try that one maybe? Otherwise I would suspect board has some glitch or maybe GPU is faulty ...
Did not see your reply when I responded to the other person responding to my problem. Yea, so in theory, how I have it now should work. The strangest thing for me is that it sometimes is x16, sometimes its x8. If it really was a hardware limitation you would expect that it would just constantly be at x8, and you would not see x16 operation at all. So it indeed might be some component, like the mobo, that is becoming unstable or something. At the moment of writing, I actually just had a hard crash where my pc restarted when I wanted to move a tab with a youtube movie. After that, the gpu was x16 again. Looking up the error report I got in Event Viewer, it might point to a problem with the mobo. I can always try to really clean the pcie slot where my gpu is in to make sure it is not just a jittery connection that sometimes can do x16 and sometimes x8 because of some dust or something (I already blew it out, but I might have to be more thorough). A new mobo would not hurt anyways (except my wallet), especially if I can get pcie 4.0, some more m.2 slots (Prime x370 Pro only has one) and guaranteed support for Ryzen 4000. But I will troubleshoot some more and start basic like cleaning pcie slots and the pcie connection on the card itself, maybe that will solve my problem.

Could also be the gpu itself of course, but I have some troubleshooting to do before I come to that conclusion. So the question for me now is: Is it the mobo that is giving my gpu problems, or the gpu itself?

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I would go from the basics with cleaning up the PCIE X16_1 slot and connectors on GPU first. I've seen cases where GPU would fall on lower speed if not seated properly. After that wipe out the drivers for GPU and chipset and download latest X370 chipset drivers (and enable Ryzen power plan) and Adrenalline drivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I personally have a 5700xt in the first x16 slot and a sound card in one of the down x1 slot and I can assure you my card run in x16.
I checked with gpu-z and it is fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suggest 2x16GB to be able to go for 4x16 if necessary but if the only thing you are interested on is performance I can tell you performance with 2x16 is clearly enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suggest 2x16GB to be able to go for 4x16 if necessary but if the only thing you are interested on is performance I can tell you performance with 2x16 is clearly enough.
I'm more wondering if this board is T-topology or daisy chain. It should be T-topology from what I've read but someone had a 2 DIMM setup and said it's a **** daisy chain because his RAM runs even worse in A1/B1 slots compared to A2/B2 (slot selection shouldn't matter at all for T-topology mobos).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm more wondering if this board is T-topology or daisy chain. It should be T-topology from what I've read but someone had a 2 DIMM setup and said it's a **** daisy chain because his RAM runs even worse in A1/B1 slots compared to A2/B2 (slot selection shouldn't matter at all for T-topology mobos).
i had two mismatched pairs, crucial and gskill. i had to put one pair in a1/a2 and the other pair in b1/b2. that got me better oc results. ive since given to smaller set to my nephew. not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any word on whether we're getting 1.0.8.1?

9881 - 9889 of 9889 Posts