Overclock.net banner

9901 - 9920 of 9930 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't say about modded bios, as I have no idea how much work and knowledge it takes to do that; it is more or less clear we aren't getting any support from ASUS:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am very curious about RAM speed for this board now with new BIOS.

Personally I am running 3600MT/s (Samsung B-die sticks) which I have been doing a long time (almost a year I think), my CPU is 3700X.

Is it anyone here who is able to run RAM in higher speeds?

I noticed before when getting unstable RAM setup trying higher speeds I sometimes had to do hard reset in bios (using screwdriver) which is a bit messy. ;-) Now it was maybe 6 months ago I tried higher speeds than 3600MT/s though.

I am also curious if anyone here playing around with the EDC bug? ;-) (I have no idea if this may lead to degradation or not).
EDC = 1, PBO TURBO BOOST
Using ballistix 3000 cl15, oc to 3733 cl16 with flck 1833 with the 3950x.

The crazy thing is, when playing games it's stable never a crash, also memory stress test no crash. But at the end of the day when I shut down the pc and go to sleep the next day I turn on the computer no picture on the monitor. Fan speeds are working and the light on the motherboard. After several times restart it turns itsrlf on and of for 3 times and then it works.

It's definitely the ram I think but it's crazy that the ram is stable when doing benchmark/stresstest?

·
Registered
3 Posts

The crazy thing is, when playing games it's stable never a crash, also memory stress test no crash. But at the end of the day when I shut down the pc and go to sleep the next day I turn on the computer no picture on the monitor. Fan speeds are working and the light on the motherboard. After several times restart it turns itsrlf on and of for 3 times and then it works.

It's definitely the ram I think but it's crazy that the ram is stable when doing benchmark/stresstest?
Is this with 2 stick configuration?
I'm running 4 sticks of B die, 64GB with 3200/cl14 with a 3900x no stability issues at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is this with 2 stick configuration?
I'm running 4 sticks of B die, 64GB with 3200/cl14 with a 3900x no stability issues at all.
I've tested 4x16GB micron edies sticks work well and fully stable on 3200MHz with tweaked timings to CL14 on Zen 1. Newest modded bios.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I'm trying to limit the power consumption of my 3900 (not X) on this board (last bios version used).
I achieved to adjust PPT with Ryzen Master (I choose 72W after testing every 5 from 44 to 88, the goal is to fold..).

BUT I wanna change this parameter in bios, and when I choose PBO to manual, the only parameter for PPT/TDC/EDC is Auto, I can't enter any values!

Do you have an idea of what I'm doing wrong ?

Thx 🤠
found the problem: I used AI tweaking section instead of amd advanced section on the right, where the manual PBO parameter are working.. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts

he, I actually have the same problem, but only if I also turn off my power strip my pc is plugged into or if I just unplug my pc from the power socket whenever I will be gone for a few days. So for me it is definitely not a daily occurrence as I mostly leave the pc plugged in/powerstrip on. Do you by any chance also unplug the power cable from the pc, or turn off a powerstrip to which your pc is connected?

I actually never know how to solve it properly. I turn it off multiple times with the power button (and you can tell it is not booting into windows, because it turns of immediately when I press the power button just once, while if it would have booted into windows despite no video-output, it would need a few seconds to shut down), force it turning off by holding the button, pressing reset button, rocking the power button on my PSU a few times etc and in the end I will finally get a picture, and BIOS tells me it could not load my settings. I can then load my saved profile in the BIOS and everything is fine. But I have yet to find a definitive consistent way to work around the no screen/video output after I unplugged the power.

In my case, it could just be a bad CMOS battery which I could try to replace if I had some of those flat batteries lying around, but I don't (and as I said, it only happens when my pc has been truly powerless for a few hours, which does not happen often).

But yea, you have the extra factor of OC'd RAM and flck. I thought it was pretty unique for mobo's to be able to oc the flck above 1800mhz, and I can imagine that our old Prime X370 Pro is probably not amongst those boards that can go above 1800mhz reliably. As far as I understand, our motherboard was never that good with high speed RAM (at least not above 3600mhz).

I myself have F4-3000C16D-16GISB running at 2933mhz. My pc was 99.9% stable if I just leave it at 3000mhz, and it was even very stable at 3200mhz c16, but in the end, I had a few problems with some crashing in some very select games, like Ghost Recon Breakpoint in Vulkan, which have been 100% fixed by just using default settings for my RAM (DOCP actually sets the ram to 2933mhz, and I cant imagine that I will notice the 67mhz difference).

That is the frustrating thing about OC'ing RAM: Even if stresstests, games etc seem stable, the OC can still be unstable and have a very minimally negative impact on stability, but which can compound over time. For me, 2933mhz and complete stability vs 3200mhz and some rare occurrences of instability in a few select scenarios was not worth it for me in the end.

For you, going from 3000mhz to 3733mhz will probably net you some significant performance increase though, so I can understand you are hesitant to just go back to stock. 3733mhz is actually very high for our motherboard as far as I understand, even if that is the native speed of your RAM. But if you suspect your RAM oc from being the culprit, even though you are stable in stresstests and games, why not try to run it just one setting lower, like 3600? You will still have a significant boost over 3000mhz, and it will at least give you some peace of mind that even if 3733mhz seems 100% stable, then you wil know 3600mhz will be even more stable. Might be worth a try.

·
>^o.o^<___/
146 Posts
Failures on cold boot (power disconnected) indicate unstable memory overclock. Reduce memory speed to fix. Other alternatives are to get newer CPU or faster memory because effective stable memory overclock depends on three things: cpu memory controller silicon, memory silicon and motherboard memory trace layout.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2021 reminder that the chipset heatsink has plastic shrink wrap on top you need to peel off. It's pretty hard to see.

Also, the chipset needs a fan if you're doing GPU compute with uncapped GPU wattage. Without a fan my chipset would go to 90C, cook itself and shut off my computer and/or give me strange temperature sensor glitches.

If you have a spare Wraith Stealth the fan's the perfect size. I don't remember how I removed the fan from the heatsink but it was probably just attached with screws. Tie the fan so it points towards the chipset and you're done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Failures on cold boot (power disconnected) indicate unstable memory overclock. Reduce memory speed to fix. Other alternatives are to get newer CPU or faster memory because effective stable memory overclock depends on three things: cpu memory controller silicon, memory silicon and motherboard memory trace layout.
Hmmm, strange thing then. I still suspect the battery on my Mobo, as if I unplug it for a few hours and plug it in again and then start my computer, everything works fine, but if I leave the power disconnected for a day or so, it will give me an error that it can not load the BIOS settings. Especially because I run everything practically at stock (some power saving features and BIOS settings such as compatibility module disabled, POST delay at 0ms instead of stock 3 ms, etc), and all RAM settings at stock (loaded the DOCP profile, and now I even run at 2933mhz instead of 3000mhz).

This behaviour has been happening ever since I had this motherboard (sinds 2018) and with two different cpu's (2600 and 3600 right now). I have been thinking of buying faster RAM, maybe even 32GB instead of 16GB, so I might be able to find out if my RAM has been unstable all along, or it is just a mobo problem. I might try and find the timings for my RAM and just input them manually instead of using DOCP (G.Skill F4-3000C16-8GISB, never found all the timings, and most timings are set to 'auto' when loading the DOCP, so it could be that something is wrong there, so I will start a search again).

·
>^o.o^<___/
146 Posts
Have you tried replacing the mobo battery? These usually last 4-5 years. Easier than replacing memory. Also try slowing the memory down to 2800.
This board is rather difficult to overclock memory on. I am running 3600-16 sticks at 3200 and consider that good (albeit four dual-rank ones with a 1700 cpu), with increased SOC and DRAM voltages, so "stock"is relative.
With a 3600 cpu you should be able to get 3000 memory up to 3200, after spending some time to tune timings and voltages and to run memory stability tests and applications.

·
Registered
329 Posts
have the newer bioses improved ram compatibility for 1000 series CPU's, or do you still need samsung b-die's for 3000+ mhz?

i'm looking to add another 16gb but samsung modules are hard to find and pricey.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bought a MSI B550 Tomahawk to replace my x370 prime pro and I am quite surprised that it doesn't seem to match the performance of the prime; I can't get near my cb20 score or superposition. Confused...

·
The Challenger
2,294 Posts
Bought a MSI B550 Tomahawk to replace my x370 prime pro and I am quite surprised that it doesn't seem to match the performance of the prime; I can't get near my cb20 score or superposition. Confused...
Which CPU? B550 motherboards don't officially support 1000 and 2000 series, just 3000 and 5000 series.
If it is a 3000/5000 series CPU, you might have to double check your RAM settings to see if they match your old configuration.

·
Registered
84 Posts
3800x; I manually set the ram settings in both cases.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
What do you guys do for fan control? It seems like some of my 1200-1500 fans are stuck at 800rpm, thinking of sticking a fan splitter and ignoring the "Pump" ones

9901 - 9920 of 9930 Posts