Overclock.net banner
9961 - 9980 of 9997 Posts

·
Somewhere Else
503 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it better to run this board with 2x32GB memory sticks or 4x16GB? If i remember correctly i read somewhere that this mobo is some kind of "4-way" architecture and using all 4 slots should be actually better. Or am i mistaken?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 6 Pro mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any one else experience a similar issue?

I updated the bios for my board to the latest (Version 6026) and since then I have noticed two power off related problems:

1. When I stick a usb stick in the the machine, use it by copying files to or from the stick, and then remove it, when I try to shut the machine down it will look like it is powering off (screen goes blank) but the machine remains powered on. It will just sit like this indefinitely.

2. Today I noticed another similar issue. I issued a shut down and was puzzled when the pc rebooted. So I thought OK, I must of pressed reboot, I tried it again to shut down and it rebooted again!

I shut the machine down in the end by right clicking the start button (win 11) and choosing shut down.

Obviously most of the time the reboot and shutdown works but there is definitely a bug in this somewhere. I had none of these issues before I upgraded the bios last week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any one else experience a similar issue?

I updated the bios for my board to the latest (Version 6026) and since then I have noticed two power off related problems:

1. When I stick a usb stick in the the machine, use it by copying files to or from the stick, and then remove it, when I try to shut the machine down it will look like it is powering off (screen goes blank) but the machine remains powered on. It will just sit like this indefinitely.

2. Today I noticed another similar issue. I issued a shut down and was puzzled when the pc rebooted. So I thought OK, I must of pressed reboot, I tried it again to shut down and it rebooted again!

I shut the machine down in the end by right clicking the start button (win 11) and choosing shut down.

Obviously most of the time the reboot and shutdown works but there is definitely a bug in this somewhere. I had none of these issues before I upgraded the bios last week.
Did you reinstall your chipset drivers as well? After the BIOS update, Windows said it discovered new devices and installed standard drivers for the chipset. Could be helpful for the USB problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you reinstall your chipset drivers as well? After the BIOS update, Windows said it discovered new devices and installed standard drivers for the chipset. Could be helpful for the USB problems.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have never had to reinstall the chipset drivers before after updating the bios.

Regardless I tried it and the problems still persists.

I will contact Asus (not that they care) and tell them these issues started when I upgraded the bios.

Can I down grade? Or is that not possible?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it better to run this board with 2x32GB memory sticks or 4x16GB? If i remember correctly i read somewhere that this mobo is some kind of "4-way" architecture and using all 4 slots should be actually better. Or am i mistaken?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 6 Pro mit Tapatalk
It's a T-Topology board so it's better to fill all DIMM slots. From my experience I've had much better luck reaching higher memory clocks with 4 DIMMs than 2 on this board.

·
A fish with teeth!
1,084 Posts
That's weird. 5900X working just fine.

View attachment 2553200 View attachment 2553200
My 5950X went on, I removed the motherboard battery for a few minutes.

View attachment 2553438
I've been tossing up between just settling for a 3900X or 3950X or holding out for Zen3 support over the past year-ish.
I even considered trying some kind of hacked or modded BIOS if I could find one that could run Zen3.
Been checking every so often, since the official announcement, for the new BIOS w/ Zen 3 support and just noticed today that it's finally out.

Have to say I was pretty disappointed when I noticed the support list doesn't include the 5900X or 5950X.
Having to choose between more slower Zen2 cores (which I could have done already for a while now), or
the same number of Zen3 cores (vs a 1700) was quite a let down after holding out all this time.

I'm less of a gamer these days and would rather have the extra cores for more VMs and container'd services and whatnot.
Getting the same number of (admittedly much faster) cores wouldn't feel like that great of an upgrade.
Seeing if I could get the best of both worlds was the only thing that held me back from settling or ditching the whole platform.

But I had a feeling the 5900/5950X might work anyway, and my first instinct was to check this thread, and lo and behold, they do!
Thanks for testing this you guys, this is great news!
Good to know this socket really is as long lived (longer even!) than was promised. Good job ASUS and AMD.
It took a while, but you finally got there. AMD...you win my CPU money again this upgrade cycle
(although those Intel E-cores looked mighty interesting for running the hypervisor and offloading background tasks).
ASUS...you're...not bad? I can't necessarily say the same about GigaShyte, MSI, or ASRock for various reasons? ¯\(ツ)

Congrats fellow value-conscious holdouts :p

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
6206 BIOS:
"2. Improve system performance and stability"

This is never reason to upgrade eh? BIOS I would think would always be the place to say if it ain't broke... don't

Still running 2700x

·
Registered
6 Posts
5950x works great with bios version 6206. My Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 sticks that I could only get to before 3066 MHz now suddenly works perfectly with D.O.C.P and finally runs at their rated 3200 MHz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
6206 BIOS:
"2. Improve system performance and stability"

This is never reason to upgrade eh? BIOS I would think would always be the place to say if it ain't broke... don't

Still running 2700x
5950x works great with bios version 6206. My Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 sticks that I could only get to before 3066 MHz now suddenly works perfectly with D.O.C.P and finally runs at their rated 3200 MHz.
Where is the download link for 6206?

Cheers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where is the download link for 6206?
On the ASUS download page.

9961 - 9980 of 9997 Posts