Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On high loads the CPU rad is not removing enough heat from the loop and not only is the CPU pretty warm but the fluid starts to get hot too. Like 20C over delta hot.

I want to try a 360 radiator instead of the 240 for the CPU.

I have Black Ice Nemisis and am happy with them except possible being too small. Will the 360 version add enough overhead for the 5950x?

I am also thinking of mounting the CPU radiator and possibly the fans BEHIND in the back of the case so they push air out better instead of it pooling in the cord area by the power switch and usb ports before exiting.

Since I have to take everything apart I am thinking of any other improvements I can make.

I did cheap fans from amazon to save money but they are very bring at night and I will need one more anyway so what is an economical set of white led fans that would be dimmed down, look nice and perform ok. All they have to do is pull air from the bottom grill with the dust filter and push through a thin rad. Not asking a lot and the fans I have are ok I think. The air flow is good but the bright white light late at night is a deal breaker! They are Vetroo Computer Case Fans, Halo Ring LED max airflow 35.2 CFM. I do not want anything requiring proprietary controllers and/or software. I'm trying to run as light and minimal as possible. I'm looking at the Thermaltake Ring 12 High Static Pressure Circular Ring White LED Case/Radiator Fan which would bump me up to 40.6 CFM.

TIL: Would switching out my 240 CPU rad for a 360 and upgrading the fans fix my heat issue?

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Can you list your full specs and cooling setup.
Very hard to make suggestions or help when guessing what you have.
With that I highly doubt adding an extra 120mm of radiator space will make much of a difference though.

Still more info is needed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lian Li PC-O11DW 011
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
RYZEN 9 5950X
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Vision
Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz (2x16GB)
Samsung-SSD-980-PRO-1TB
Corsair RMX Series, RM850x

Cooling:
Corair Hydro XD5 RGB Pump/Res Combo
XSPC RayStorm EDGE CPU Water Block AMD4
(2) Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS
(6) Vetroo LED 120mm – White
EKWB EK-DuraClear 10/16 3/8-5/8 Soft Tubing
(12) SDTC Tech G14 Compression Fittings for ST
Mayhems Pastel & Clear Concentrates
Thermal Paste Grizzly Kryonaut

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think it might be due to the position of your cpu in the loop but I could be completely wrong.
what temps are you getting on gpu?

·
Premium Member
20,612 Posts
Might help to pull air in through the second rad.

EDIT: If you can run Cinebench R23 (Loads just the cpu) and have HWINFO64 in background and check the readings after a few minutes of loop (10 mins test throttling). Post a screenshot please.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will run Cinebech in the morning. I am in the process of undervolting individual cores and I want to make some tweaks before benchmarking again.
The GPU never gets hot. Stays 53C. My ambient temp is 27C. I thought undervolting was the answer and had the CPU down to 63 vs 73 or more but tonight playing New World closed beta I had a nasty thermal shutdown.
On other games my coolant would get to 42C which was not great but useable but playing Cyberpunk it got up to 44C the New World 47 even 48C. So there is not enough heat being removed from the loop and I don't think 240 is enoungh for a 5950x.
The air off that CPU rad is burning hot. No way I would inject that into the case. It's setup specifiically for the room it's in with the hot air out the top and back where it's can't bothering anything and the coolest cleanest air in thru the bottom.

·
Premium Member
20,612 Posts
I will run Cinebech in the morning. I am in the process of undervolting individual cores and I want to make some tweaks before benchmarking again.
The GPU never gets hot. Stays 53C. My ambient temp is 27C. I thought undervolting was the answer and had the CPU down to 63 vs 73 or more but tonight playing New World closed beta I had a nasty thermal shutdown.
On other games my coolant would get to 42C which was not great but useable but playing Cyberpunk it got up to 44C the New World 47 even 48C. So there is not enough heat being removed from the loop and I don't think 240 is enoungh for a 5950x.
The air off that CPU rad is burning hot. No way I would inject that into the case. It's setup specifiically for the room it's in with the hot air out the top and back where it's can't bothering anything and the coolest cleanest air in thru the bottom.
Run Optimized Default as a base first. You can set RAM to DOCP or whatever.

I suggested to pull air to apply fresh air to the rad. I think that case does not allow good airflow. No way to add a fan at the back?

EDIT: Here is thread for that motherboard.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,783 Posts
(6) Vetroo LED 120mm – White
switch to pull mode instead of push..are those fans even rated fairly for static pressure?? fans do play a large role specially your rads are very restrictive..for my use case on a HWLABS 360GTS pull config with decent Static pressure optimized fans (mine's a bit crappy at 2.3mmh2o) the GTS cools down my PBO tuned 5900X (200W) PPT max temps while benching is 68-72c..

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Run Optimized Default as a base first. You can set RAM to DOCP or whatever.

I suggested to pull air to apply fresh air to the rad. I think that case does not allow good airflow. No way to add a fan at the back?

EDIT: Here is thread for that motherboard.

You are 100% right about that case and airflow.

·
Iconoclast
31,435 Posts
Both radiators are part of the same loop so referring to them as CPU or GPU is misleading. Unless rate flow is woefully in adequate, water temperature will be equalized through out the entire loop. If the air coming out of one rad is hotter than the other, at similar fan speed, something is wrong with your flow rate.

Going from 2x240s to 1x360 and 1x240 would likely help, mostly by allowing more airflow, almost certainly not enough to make this a well performing loop. A less restrictive case and better fans would probably help more.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Take one of your bottom intake fans and mount it to the rear of your case as an exhaust fan. Have ALL of your rad fans on top of the rads pulling cooler air into your case. From your picture it appears you have no intake in the front, just from the bottom?

Think cool intake and hot exhaust.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,445 Posts
I think it might be due to the position of your cpu in the loop but I could be completely wrong.
Loop order is not as important as shortest path.
The issue is not related to CPU or GPU first.
The gremlins lie with elsewhere.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You really need to invest in good pressure optimized fans. If case flow is as bad as others say I would be fixing that too. Using a 280mm rad on my 5800x, I would call it adequate. With literally twice the cpu, I would be looking at close to double what I use now.
So it looks like you are seriously lacking in airflow both on the fans themselves and on the case as well. And have too little radiator. Should be using 140mm fans and 140mm width rads too if possible.

·
WaterCooler
4,356 Posts
No that's not it, loop order doesn't matter.

I would be more curious to hear what the fan configuration is in terms of intake/exhaust.

As for rads, you could benefit from a thicker 360 up top, and maybe a thinner 360 on the bottom if you can make it fit with the side intaking cool air instead? I'm not really sure best fan configs for O11-D (something I'll need to figure out when I build new rig as I have same case).

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,762 Posts
Sorry, what is the issue with 20C delta? Am I missing something?

5950x + 3070 GPU on 480mm of radiator seems on par.

If fans are quiet and components are around 40-50C under full load, you won't gain much performance by adding another 120mm of radiator.

My only suggestion is to review your airflow strategy to optimize your equipment. It appears you only have two intake fans (bottom) and 4 exhausts (radiators).

If budget wasn't a concern, I'd put a 360mm radiator on the bottom and keep the 240 up top.

Both rads (top and bottom) are intakes, and the side panel (parallel to the motherboard) could be exhaust.

Edit: I see the user above has a similar approach. You could also simply relocate the side rad to the bottom and test the theory out before buying more rad.

Edit2:

Visual of rad/fan revision.
Blue = intake
Red = exhaust
Yellow = radiator

·
Iconoclast
31,435 Posts
Sorry, what is the issue with 20C delta? Am I missing something?
I read this as a 20C air to water delta (supported by the mention of the exhaust air being 'burning hot'), which is large for a custom loop. A good setup should be around a 10C delta with the same rad area (120x480mm) and heat load (~400w). A top-end loop can do ~5C.

Either there is an obstruction limiting flow, or, more likely, there just isn't enough fresh air through the radiators.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I read this as a 20C air to water delta (supported by the mention of the exhaust air being 'burning hot'), which is large for a custom loop. A good setup should be around a 10C delta with the same rad area (120x480mm) and heat load (~400w). A top-end loop can do ~5C.

Either there is an obstruction limiting flow, or, more likely, there just isn't enough fresh air through the radiators.
A DT of 20C, and 480mm of rads, while it might not be optimal, should not be causing any throttling or a thermal shutdown.

Could OP's issues be related to nvidia's poor design choices that came to light recently?
See this buildzoid video:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sit here trying to get Cinebench to look good while getting the thermals under control but then I play a game and it all comes crashing down. Cinebench32 = 27309. It doesn't reflect my real world results.

T-Senor is the pump's thermal sensor. My ambient room temp is 26C. My idle water temp is 34C but playing newest games I had coolant at 48C so I'm not moving enough heat out of my loop.

I will try switching to 360 rads and proper static pressure fans. I thought this was a good case for a custom loop and it's actually my 2nd case so I'm not too keen on buying a 3rd one. I'm very reluctant to push hot radiator air over my motherboard and the location of the PC is such that the hot air coming out the back would dump right on to my router and other networking components and if it's out the bottom then it's a spaceheater to sit next to and that's why I got rid of my old PC. I don't think 140mm anything will fit.

Should a 360mm radiator with static pressure fans cool a 5950x or should I just get an automobile radiator and mount it to the side of my desk? Cuz that's starting to look like a rational solution.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts