Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I've never done a work log for any modding before so I am going to try it with this new project. With that said I will appreciate all comments and advice from everyone =]

I recently bit the bullet and decided to try out watercooling for the first time in a PC. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and figured now would be great with the Chimp Challenge coming up soon. I'll be able to OC to over 4GHz and complete more WUs to help the team out.

So after doing some research in the WC forums I ended up going way over the edge and bought all of this stuff:

I have a thing for bright neon and UV colors so I figured I will go all out with this build and make something cool. I plan to paint the inside and various other parts of the case with some reflective yellow/greenish yard paint that I can get locally and have the green UV WC tubes along with the yellow FrozenQ reservoir as a contrast. Also, I have my PSU cables sleeved with UV orange(pronounced "ornch") so that will add a nice flavor to the look.

I spent the last two days learning the ins and outs of Sketchup and came up with a rough estimate of what I want the case to look like. I have the inside of the case colored yellow because I couldn't find a good neon color easily so just imagine the same color as my current case which looks like this:

Here are some pictures of what I expect the case to end up like:

So here is a list of things I want to accomplish:
  • Un-rivet the case and paint reflective UV yellow
  • Cut out the three side panel windows and install clear plexiglass [I might end up just cutting out the entire side depending on what the three windows look like]
  • Succesfully reassemble the case
  • Install watercooling parts, cut tubing to the right length, and test for leaks
  • Neatly wire up the fans and lights to the fan controllers and switches
  • Re-sleeve the motherboard connector cables to single sleeves
  • Install computer parts with organized cable management
  • After the PC is put together nicely I will begin to overclock it to above 4Ghz
The parts should get here on Thursday so I am preparing myself for the challenge this will be and getting my mind ready for the various hardware store trips, ordering more stuff, and complete reassembly of everything that comes along with projects like this. I am going to take my time and do things right the first time for this build. Posting stuff on OCN for everyone to see will be a good motivation to do a good job =]

Any input at all is very much appreciated this is my first build log so bear with me if I am being n00bish

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
excellent work! looks fantastic!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alrighty so I got all my parts in and started working on stripping/sanding/painting the HAF 932. This project is going a lot slower than I expected but here is what I have done so far:
  • Took everything out of the HAF 932
  • Un-rivited the HAF 932
  • Masked off parts of the case I don't want painted
  • Started stripping and sanding the grey factory powdercoat stuff from the guts
  • Took the mesh out of their plastic housings
  • Did some experimental coats of painting on spare parts
  • Started to prime the motherboard mounting plate
Tools:
  • Phillips Head Screw-em-drive (Screwdriver)
  • Flathead (pronounced: flatheed)
  • #3 Allen Wrench for the case fans
  • Dewalt Drill
  • 1/8" Drill bit for the rivets
Materials:
  • Krylon White Primer
  • Rust-Oleum Fluorescent Yellow
  • 3M Auto Sandpaper 400 & 800 grit
  • 120 grit sandpaper from my dad's cabinet shop
  • 1/8" medium rivets
Here are some of the parts I got. I left a bunch at my apartment so I wouldn't be distracted by them

Here's another with my little brother rocking out...yes I do have a 6 year old brother and I'm 22...go ahead say what you want about my sexually active parents

Empty case

To remove the top panel there are 3 Phillips screws that need to come out then the top panel with the wires just slides forward.
You have to pull the bottom front face off from the panel to get to the 6 screws that hold the 2 side strips on. The two side strips slide right off

Stuff from the empty case

After all that stuff came out I started drilling out the center of the rivets to take the case apart

When I got to the rivets in front of the 5.25" bays I had to remove two of the plastic clips so the drill wouldn't hit them. To get them off you have to be careful because there are two springs that will pop out when you pry it off. All you have to do is use a flathead to pry the two top clips down and it will pop off.

Here is what the clips look like off the case

Here is the case after the un-riveting. OH NOES MY CASE ASPLODE

Now to the masking. What I wanted to do was keep the outside black and the inside UV Yellow with the mesh on top of the case UV yellow too (I might keep it black though we'll see)

I only took this pic of the top

Since my dad is a cabinet maker he goes through a lot of laquer thinner so I jacked 5 gallons of it to soak the guts in for stripping check it out

I started soaking all the parts in an old ice chest I found in the attic of the shed

HOWEVER, after a few hours of soaking I checked on the parts and I noticed that the inside of the ice chest was corroding and fusing with my case guts! ZOMG

I had to use a flat putty spreader thingy to get the hard drive bays unstuck

/facepalm.

After transferring the parts and thinner over to a smaller plastic box that won't dissolve I removed the mesh from their plastic housings. The 5.25" bay covers have 4 clips bent into the plastic that holds them in. Just bend them straight and out comes the mesh.

The mesh from the front panel is just held on by phillips screws. The mesh from the two side strips is more difficult. I had to use a soldering iron to melt the plastic that was keeping them in and a flathead to pry them out. I couldn't get a decent picture of this process.

I used the extra bay mesh for the floppy drive to experiment on with painting. I masked one side off and sprayed it with a coat of primer then a coat of UV yellow. After that dried I masked the painted side off and just sprayed it with the yellow. The results are clear...using the primer is what I'll do for the rest of the mesh

After hours of sanding the motherboard mounting plate I think it's time to start painting it

I sanded it with 220 then 400 then 800 grit then rubbed it down with laquer thinner and let it dry. After that I sprayed one light coat of primer and let it sit for an hour. Then I lightly sanded it with 400 grit and recoated it. I am currently waiting to put the next coats on so this is it for this update.

Any comments or advice is appreciated

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Just wanted to tell you that in your sketches you still have the top 230mm fan in there.
To install the 360 rad it needs to be removed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisispatrick View Post
Just wanted to tell you that in your sketches you still have the top 230mm fan in there.
To install the 360 rad it needs to be removed.
Aha ok man thanks. Would throwing a couple 120s in the top work?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckyWootmaster View Post
Aha ok man thanks. Would throwing a couple 120s in the top work?
yup... thats what i got PUSH PULL top mounted 360 rad in my haf 932

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but are you not putting in a optical disk drive? I'm looking at the design and unless you are planning on having a separate (USB/SATA connected i guess) idk where you plan on putting it. Other than that I love the yellow but personally I would make the whole build black and yellow (Yellow tubing with black coils would look sick).

VW

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by melantha View Post
yup... thats what i got PUSH PULL top mounted 360 rad in my haf 932
Push Pull as in the fans mounted on the bottom of the radiator are pointed up and the fans mounted in the top of the case are also pointed up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but are you not putting in a optical disk drive? I'm looking at the design and unless you are planning on having a separate (USB/SATA connected i guess) idk where you plan on putting it. Other than that I love the yellow but personally I would make the whole build black and yellow (Yellow tubing with black coils would look sick).

VW
Yes that's correct I am not putting an optical drive in the pc. I have an external drive to use for when I need it. I don't like the way the drive bay just eats up space and it frees up a great place for me to put the reservoir. The bumblebee theme would look good too but I'm sticking with the design =] thanks VW

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckyWootmaster
View Post

Push Pull as in the fans mounted on the bottom of the radiator are pointed up and the fans mounted in the top of the case are also pointed up?

Yep
the bottom fans push the air up while the top fans pull the air up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcmtank
View Post

Don't think I've ever seen anyone do without the optical drive bay before? Hope the HDD bays don't flex too much. You might want to cut the CPU mounting hole in the mobo bigger before you finish painting; check my gallery for how low the Heatkiller mounting ends up. Keep the updates coming.

Yeah I did consider the stability problem that removing the 5.25" bays would create but I will have to figure something out. I really don't have a need for them at all.

I did take a look at your gallery and you have one crazy setup dude very nice job making all that work. That sucks that the cpu mount is barely off the edge of the original hole but I have already put a couple coats of color on the MB tray. If it is also an issue for me, which it probably will be, then I will have to carefully take a dremel to it *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I made a couple changes to the SketchUp drawing by removing the 200mm fan from the top and adding 3 120mm fans. Also, I added a mesh shroud with UV yellow backing to cover the PSU and add create a false floor. This idea was inspired by what dimwit13 did with the bottom of his CM Sniper.

Link: http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ml#post8963605

Here are my SketchUp changes:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts