Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first PC build, and I've been trying to learn as much as I can before I buy all the components.

I will be primarily using this PC for music production, some video editing, and some gaming (mostly SC2 Diablo 3 borderlands 2 when it comes out)

I'm definitely leaning towards the 3770k even though people are complaining that it runs hot.

I'm entirely new at this, and I have a few questions regarding a good motherboard, and also a good case.

Here is what I have so far:

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

ASUS P8Z77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558

CORSAIR H100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

My main concerns are with the H100 and the motherboard.

Will the H100 keep the CPU cool enough to where I can overclock it a decent amount?

and is the P8Z77 a good motherboard for my setup? I haven't decided on a graphics card yet but I do not plan on running in crossfire or anything like that.

Sorry for the wall of text, and sorry if this is not an appropriate forum for this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
If you're only going to be gaming, you can save a lot of money by using different parts.
biggrin.gif


If gaming, the 3570k will be just fine.
I suppose for video editing and other things the 3770k would also be good. You really only need it if you know you'll be using lots of threads.

8GB will also be plenty for gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096
That Samsung set can overclock way far and is inexpensive. They're sold out in a lot of places, but if you can find them they're well worth it.
thumb.gif


You could definitely get a cheaper board, however ASUS is a pretty respected brand.
If you don't need the Wi-Fi that comes with it, though, you could get a cheaper board from ASRock or Biostar. Highest end Z77 Biostar mobo is about $35 less than that ASUS board, and the Extreme6 from ASRock is cheaper as well.

You should check out the power supply forum in the components section. I'm not sure you would need, which is why I recommend those threads. There's a calculator made by the PSU editor and a thread for suggested PSU's.
biggrin.gif

PSU Calculator
Suggested PSU's

The Thermalright Silver Arrow is just as good, cheaper, and quieter than the H100. You can look into that, the Prolimatech Genesis or Megahalems, the Noctua NH-D14, or the Phanteks dual tower cooler. All pretty much equal.
By the way, the H100 isn't bad, it's just expensive and doesn't offer (much) better cooling than the others I listed.
biggrin.gif


Phantom has great reviews and most people on OCN like it.

What's your total budget and then the budget for the graphics card?

This is one of the appropriate sections you could put this, so you're good.
biggrin.gif


Hope I helped
thumb.gif
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Ampharos

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually looking at the BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 But I've heard that they can be unreliable. And yeah I really don't need the wifi at all haha

Would this be a good PSU for my setup? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

And what is the difference between modular and not?

I'll check out the PSU calculator you showed me
biggrin.gif


And for the graphics card, I was leaning towards either a 7770, or a 6850. I'm aiming around $200 or less seeing how I won't be playing any games to really require more than that.

Also do you think I would be able to overclock to above 4Ghz using air?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
The PSU would probably be overkill for the cards you're looking at paired with the low wattage 3770k. I know that the SeaSonic is a good PSU, but you might want to check the PSU calculator to see what wattage you need. I'm sure you'll be fine, but better safe than sorry.
thumb.gif


Modular on PSU's just means you can use only the wires you want or need, instead of having all of them bundled up and using less than half of them. Saves space and looks better
biggrin.gif


If you're unsure about the Biostar, then go for the ASRock.
tongue.gif


What resolution will you be playing at? If it's above 1080p, you might want to consider a 7850 just because it has more VRAM. If you're on or below 1080p 1GB VRAM should be fine, unless you're know you're going to play a game that uses a lot of VRAM. Skyrim (with mods) is a good example of a VRAM eater, Battlefield 3 is another.
tongue.gif
 

·
MegaTechPC
Joined
·
19,215 Posts
Definitely stick with the H100. It may not perform any better than the Silver Arrow but it sure looks a whole lot better and is pretty much fool proof in installation. As for the PSU, the one you picked originally would be fine but that Seasonic is one of the best PSU's made. Modular just means that the cables are a plug-in type so that you can just use only the cables you need (beware though that some modular PSU's like the HX series Corsairs have hard-wired 24-pin and 8-pin cables).

As for video cards, if you are aiming for a $200 price range it would be hard to go against a 560Ti or a 6950....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm good to know. the PSU calculator was around 475-500w for me depending on my graphics card selection. The only reason I would go for a 650w though is if I ever do want to add another graphics card to my setup.

Actually, ****... I'd rather spend the extra money on a 7850 and get a 500w PSU.

Do you think I would be okay with 500?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Definitely stick with the H100. It may not perform any better than the Silver Arrow but it sure looks a whole lot better and is pretty much fool proof in installation. As for the PSU, the one you picked originally would be fine but that Seasonic is one of the best PSU's made. Modular just means that the cables are a plug-in type so that you can just use only the cables you need (beware though that some modular PSU's like the HX series Corsairs have hard-wired 24-pin and 8-pin cables).
As for video cards, if you are aiming for a $200 price range it would be hard to go against a 560Ti or a 6950....
Would you recommend getting a 7850 and buying a smaller power supply?

I would definitely like to save money on the electricity bill. Also the main reason that I wanted water cooling is because a lot of the air cooling units touch against the ram.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post

Would you recommend getting a 7850 and buying a smaller power supply?
I would definitely like to save money on the electricity bill. Also the main reason that I wanted water cooling is because a lot of the air cooling units touch against the ram.
Just because you have a smaller power supply does not mean your system will pull less power from the wall. PSU's only pull the power they need to pull. Power supplies are also most efficient around 50% load. I would say don't cheap out on your PSU because if that part screws up, it could take your entire system down with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Batgirl View Post

The Thermalright Silver Arrow is just as good, cheaper, and quieter than the H100. You can look into that, the Prolimatech Genesis or Megahalems, the Noctua NH-D14, or the Phanteks dual tower cooler. All pretty much equal.
By the way, the H100 isn't bad, it's just expensive and doesn't offer (much) better cooling than the others I listed.
biggrin.gif

Phantom has great reviews and most people on OCN like it.
I know you may not be implying this, but I wanted to say that the H100 is not loud at all. I have it on my PC running pretty hard and it's barely noticeable hum. It keeps my OC'ed 3770K really cool. At idle, I get down to like 25C and load from games maybe the 50s. Just wanted to put my 2c as an actual H100 user.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgineng View Post

Just because you have a smaller power supply does not mean your system will pull less power from the wall. PSU's only pull the power they need to pull. Power supplies are also most efficient around 50% load. I would say don't cheap out on your PSU because if that part screws up, it could take your entire system down with it.
So I should go ahead and get a 650w or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post

I know you may not be implying this, but I wanted to say that the H100 is not loud at all. I have it on my PC running pretty hard and it's barely noticeable hum. It keeps my OC'ed 3770K really cool. At idle, I get down to like 25C and load from games maybe the 50s. Just wanted to put my 2c as an actual H100 user.
Yeah I'm gonna go with water cooling. I don't want all the bulk of air cooling, and I really don't care about sound too much... I play loud music and I hardly notice my current fans at 100% speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
100% fan speed on the H100 can be near 50dBa.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/6

Plus, there are better fans out there, and there aren't enough stock fans to do push pull. If you're okay with that, the H100 is certainly for you.
biggrin.gif


Ampharos, if you're thinking about getting another 7850 in the future, you can put that in the PSU calculator and see what you'll need. Getting a 650w sounds about right even for two 7850's.
Eric's idea for a GTX 560 Ti or a 6950 (which can partially unlock to a 6970) are both good ideas. The 7xxx series are supposed to overclock like beasts, though, so that's something to take into consideration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Batgirl View Post

100% fan speed on the H100 can be near 50dBa.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/6
Plus, there are better fans out there, and there aren't enough stock fans to do push pull. If you're okay with that, the H100 is certainly for you.
biggrin.gif

Ampharos, if you're thinking about getting another 7850 in the future, you can put that in the PSU calculator and see what you'll need. Getting a 650w sounds about right even for two 7850's.
Eric's idea for a GTX 560 Ti or a 6950 (which can partially unlock to a 6970) are both good ideas. The 7xxx series are supposed to overclock like beasts, though, so that's something to take into consideration.
Personally, that review can say what it wants...I'm sitting here listening to mine and I can whisper louder than it. Maybe that reviewer got a crap one, who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
Well, that was 100%, and low is in the mid 30's (which isn't bad). I was just showing that it can get very loud.
tongue.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post

I was actually looking at the BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 But I've heard that they can be unreliable. And yeah I really don't need the wifi at all haha
Would this be a good PSU for my setup? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088
And what is the difference between modular and not?
I'll check out the PSU calculator you showed me
biggrin.gif

And for the graphics card, I was leaning towards either a 7770, or a 6850. I'm aiming around $200 or less seeing how I won't be playing any games to really require more than that.
Also do you think I would be able to overclock to above 4Ghz using air?
Man..that Biostar board looks good to me..Who said they were unreliable?
I'm planning that as umm..my 3rd next purchase..
Hmm..for $140..hmm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256058
I think there's a Corsair tx850 around there,to..but I closed Newegg
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgineng View Post

If you are only going to stick with one gpu, yeah. In fact, that's probably enough for 2 mid-range gpu's, but if you plan on doing sli or crossfire, i would recommend at least 750 watts to be safe.
750w is enough for an overclocked 2600K and two overclocked GTX 580's.
tongue.gif


I was going to have GTX 580 SLI with Bulldozer (yes I know...). The only reason I got the 850w SeaSonic PSU is because I didn't know how much power Bulldozer would use.

The 3770K is a 77w CPU, and the 7xxx series Radeon cards and GTX 6xx cards are all pretty power efficient. He doesn't need a humongous PSU.

I totally understand your better safe than sorry attitude, though.
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input guys.

But if I get a 7870, or a GTX 670 I definitely won't be buying another to crossfire. and If I ever did, then I would just buy a bigger PSU and give the other one to my dad.

I'll probably go with the seasonic x650, because its modular and 80 plus gold rating.

and for the H100, should I just go ahead and buy different fans? I'll probably mount 4 fans to the radiator for push/pull.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post

Thanks for the input guys.
But if I get a 7870, or a GTX 670 I definitely won't be buying another to crossfire. and If I ever did, then I would just buy a bigger PSU and give the other one to my dad.
I'll probably go with the seasonic x650, because its modular and 80 plus gold rating.
and for the H100, should I just go ahead and buy different fans? I'll probably mount 4 fans to the radiator for push/pull.
Seasonic is a solid brand for psu's. And 80+ gold and modular is certainly nice!

I have the H100 just running with stock fans, and they do the job, but there are definitely better ones out there if you want to drop a couple degrees.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top