Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my old ivy bridge build was fun but I've got an itch to build a new system. I'd love to hear opinions on my parts list.

Intel I7-6700k
EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ with backplate
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
GSKILL Ripjaws V 16GB ddr4 3200
EVGA Supernova 850P2
Corsair 750D
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 (I may switch to the 950 nvme drive)
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD
OCZ TRION 960GB SSD

Water cooling
EK M8G monoblock Nickel plexi
EK Titan X / 980ti Nickel plexi
Pump & res combo EK Xres 100 d5 pwm (upgrading to 250 tube)
XSPC EX360
XSPC EX280
Monsoon hardline chain gun fittings
Monsoon 1/2 x 5/8 PETG tubing
Corsair AF120 & AF140 quiet edition red led fans
Darkside connect lighting
Red custom sleeved cables

I just made an Amazon order and a ppcs order. My bank account isn't too happy but what can you do. I will be traveling quite a bit for work this June so progress may be slow. Once I get all the parts I'll take pictures for you!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using m.2 for speed of system drive
Using the 500GB ssd for games. This is from my previous build.
The 960GB ssd is for extra storage. I don't want to have any internal mechanical hard drives.

I am considering waiting for the 1080 to be released.

I got the 6700k because I found a great deal on it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Speed of system drive what are you doing that requires that? You hosting a internet server? Games loads aren't going to change neither is boot times.
Also don't want any internal drives (What about external drives?)(USB 3.0 / 3.1?)

Would wait on 1080 More performance same price tag.

6700K (Great deal as in less then 250$?)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you suggest I use? Why should I not use m.2 if it is available to me to use? I want my system to be the fastest, quietest system that I can build. I appreciate that you believe you are trying to give me good advice but you're actually making me realize why I've never done a build log before. I'm not really looking to make it just good enough. I'm not building to meet any particular need. I am trying to challenge my limited abilities.

I do use external USB 3.0 drives for backup. I realize game loads won't be faster. I do believe I'll get faster boot times over my current system.

I agree about the 1080. I may sell my 980ti and return the water block I ordered.

The deal is got on the i7 was good enough for me to buy it instead of the i5. I paid $275. I realize I won't be using many applications that require hyper threading but it was worth it to me.

ELmo, I really appreciate suggestions but so far all you've done is question me without offering better options, other than the 1080. I would appreciate it if your criticism was constructive.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELmo1989 View Post

Speed of system drive what are you doing that requires that? You hosting a internet server? Games loads aren't going to change neither is boot times.
Also don't want any internal drives (What about external drives?)(USB 3.0 / 3.1?)

Would wait on 1080 More performance same price tag.

6700K (Great deal as in less then 250$?)
Sounds like he's out to lunch.... The over all build looks pretty good
thumb.gif

I would see what the 1080 is all about before purchasing the 980ti or return the 980ti if already purchased

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvman313 View Post

What would you suggest I use? Why should I not use m.2 if it is available to me to use? I want my system to be the fastest, quietest system that I can build. I appreciate that you believe you are trying to give me good advice but you're actually making me realize why I've never done a build log before. I'm not really looking to make it just good enough. I'm not building to meet any particular need. I am trying to challenge my limited abilities.

I do use external USB 3.0 drives for backup. I realize game loads won't be faster. I do believe I'll get faster boot times over my current system.

I agree about the 1080. I may sell my 980ti and return the water block I ordered.

The deal is got on the i7 was good enough for me to buy it instead of the i5. I paid $275. I realize I won't be using many applications that require hyper threading but it was worth it to me.

ELmo, I really appreciate suggestions but so far all you've done is question me without offering better options, other than the 1080. I would appreciate it if your criticism was constructive.
If you don't need hyperthreading. then just get the 5500K and overclock. (But yes you did get a good deal on it.)(So stick with it.)

If your build new from the start it makes no sense to start with older generation video card. Grab 1080. (I think Nexus did a hyrbird video with 980ti watercooler.)

Motherboard is a great choice I would stick with it

Ram is great too good room to overclock or low clock tight timings.

As far the SSD goes. Your really won't see performance M.2 over SATA. (Hell even ramdisk).

If you truly going for the fastest. Then yes. But the only way you would prove your the fastest is with a benchmark. Not a game load. Not a boot time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree about the load times. And a lot of the fun I have is doing all the benchmarks.

I think I will wait for the 1080. Any idea how soon ek will have a waterblock for it? I have a couple of 970s I'm going to sell so I should have enough to buy the 1080.

I'm basically just doing this for fun, trying to get the best benchmarks I can because I enjoy it. Hopefully, people will enjoy this buildlog. I just wish I had all the components already so I could start taking pictures! I got the shipping confirmation from ppcs yesterday. I need to get the case out and start taking some measurements so I can plan out my loop.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvman313 View Post

I agree about the load times. And a lot of the fun I have is doing all the benchmarks.

I think I will wait for the 1080. Any idea how soon ek will have a waterblock for it? I have a couple of 970s I'm going to sell so I should have enough to buy the 1080.

I'm basically just doing this for fun, trying to get the best benchmarks I can because I enjoy it. Hopefully, people will enjoy this buildlog. I just wish I had all the components already so I could start taking pictures! I got the shipping confirmation from ppcs yesterday. I need to get the case out and start taking some measurements so I can plan out my loop.

Thanks for your advice.
It will be available this Friday, the 27th.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-unveils-new-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-water-blocks/

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I saw that the ek block will be out today. Now I have to wait for the 1080, non-founders edition.

I've also decided to go ahead and make my own custom cables for the first time. I just placed my order with ice modz. Ppcs order will be here next week. I am getting really excited about this build! Lots of firsts for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've been trying to buy a 1080 with no luck. In the meantime, ive changed a couple of things.
Instead of the ugly green pcb m.2 hard drive i was planning on, I've purchased a Samsung 950 pro!

This will look soooo much better installed on my black mobo.

Another change I've decided on is that I'm making my own custom cables. I received my icemodz order and im going to start taking some measurements this weekend. It will be all mdpc-x sleeving.

I can't believe how big this 750D case is. I should be able to easily fit everything in here. Corsair really does a great job.

I will be removing the hard drive cages, of course. Not sure yet if I'll be removing the 5 1/4 inch bays.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i decided to install the m.2 drive, the cpu and the cpu monoblock.

Let's see how it looks in the case!

Sorry, I only have my phone to take pictures. I think it looks pretty good. Definitely need to remove the 5 1/4 bays. That's just going to make it look awful.

Well, that's all for now. I will start taking measurements tomorrow for my custom cables. I'm also thinking about making a custom psu cover with black plexi. I'd like to cut out a rog logo and get a nice glow effect with some leds.

If anyone has a good template for the logo, please let me know. Also, any suggestions for a name are welcome.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i was finally able to procure a gtx 1080! Bought it off ebay for about the same price i could have gotten it at the store if any were available! Now to rma my 980ti water block and get a 1080 water block. After that it should be full speed ahead!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts