Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I will be building my first Computer. Here is what I'm looking at buying.
I'm going with AMD.
Motherboard is GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
Processor is Phenom ll x4 955 Black Edition
Hard Disk is a 1TB or 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
Memory is 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS3 DDR3 PC3-10666
Windows 7 Ultimate
Graphics Card is Sapphire HD4870
Power Supply is DarkPower Pro 650W or FSP Everest pro 1200W

Is there any advice on what to do or use. I welcome any advice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
get the darkpower and upgrade the gpu to 5770

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
No need for Win 7 Ultimate... just stick with the Hope Premium edition.

Also, you need to include a budget or people will just keep telling you to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
'Be Quiet!'

Never heard of them until now. Though based on what I've read they seem pretty good. German based company...

But yeah, that 1200w is way over powered for what you need.

Fill out your new system here.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would not trust be Quiet. Even from Germany, I have not heard too much about them.

For that kind of system, you absolutely do not need a 1200w PSU. I would highly recommend the Corsair HX650. It's a modular PSU that is very stable and reliable, you can't go wrong with it.

Also, for the video card, I would highly recommend the Radeon HD5770 1GB version.

But a budget would be nice.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you wanna save a bit of money definitely stick with Win Home Premium. No need for Ultimate. The 5770 would be better buy than that 4870. As for a power supply I wouldn't get either one of those. Corsair, Antec are a couple brands you could look into. 500 to 600 watts will be more than enough to power that rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks every one for the advice. Trying to stay around $650.00, but also not have to upgrade for 2 years at least.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
stick with the 650w psu, or a psu around that area by a named brand like antec, corsair, seasonic, etc.

upgrade gpu to 5770 1gb.

downgrade os to windows 7 home

just take the 1.5tb harddrive if its priced good

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to every one. Do have one more question. Would there be much of a problem if I stay with XP pro. Till I can buy the Win. 7.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well you wouldn't be able to enjoy DX10 or 11. But if it's temporary then it's not a big deal. Also, you would have to go through the hassle of having to format and reinstall everything.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i'd swap out that mobo for this one GA-MA790GPT-UD3H

Or any other gigabyte board from the 790 series. the 790 nb is way better than even 785, and sb 750 is way better than sb 710.

If you can afford to spend a few more bucks, this might be a wise decision.

Also, this board overclocks well

·
Banned
435 Posts
I would go with Corsair HX750 or HX1000. The Corsair HX series PSU has one of the best efficiency ratings and that could make a difference whn overlocking

·
Registered
566 Posts
go wirth the 650w, change 4870 to 5770, get a cheaper win7, u prolly dont even need 1 TB might wanna go smaller. if u got extra money get either a better gpu or more ram

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'd swap out that mobo for this one GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
Or any other gigabyte board from the 790 series. the 790 nb is way better than even 785,

Thanks for the advice. Found this one a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Socket AM3 790X ATX Motherboard. and when I put it with a Athlon ll X4 630 Processor from www.Mircocenter.com for this weekend only the Bundle price is $205.00 after mail in rebates it will be $185.00

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeqn View Post
get the darkpower and upgrade the gpu to 5770
what he said, the 5770 would be the wiser choice, as it has directx 11 and is a beast when xfired!! I would also switch out the mobo for a MSI 790FX-GD70, one of the best am3 mobos out! Has 4 pcie x16 slots. Runs xfire at x16, tri and quadfire at x8.

I got mine for $125 open box on new egg, then exchanged it for a new one at a pc store near me!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts