Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a few P4 2.8ghz HT (lga775) CPUs and only use 1 of them so decided to OC it on my Asus P5P800. I tried 2 stages and got the following results:

Original: 2.8ghz
Overclock: 10%
Overclocked: 3.06ghz
Idle Temp: 38º
Gaming Temp: 48-52º

----------------------

Original: 2.8ghz
Overclock: 20%
Overclocked: 3.36ghz
Idle Temp: 42º
Gaming Temp: 52-62º

Now, what i'd like to know is, are the 20% results too high? I know 42º is ok but it shoots to 50-60 during gaming, and was wondering if it would be dangerous if i left it on the 20% all the time ...

I have a large Thermaltake Cooling Tower which costs quite a bit and is bloody good for me, but i'd like your opinions please

What do you think?

Many Thanks
James

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that, i've just give it a good clean and vac and got rid of a bit of dust, seems to have dropped the temp by 4-5º so its around 36º idle

I've attached 2 images below, one of 2.8ghz and one when running at 3.36ghz ... images contain Everest Ultimate Edition and CPU-Z snaps!

2.8ghz:

3.36ghz:

Sorry if i sound dumb, just a bit new to this thats all ... Ideally i'd like to keep it running @ 20% as i noticed a bit of boost and extra FPS when gaming, although i should really overclock my x800xt for that

If you spot anything wrong in the images, or can give me some more good advice or pointers relating to the above, that'd be great, i'll try have a play around with manual settings in BIOS

Thanks
James

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I downloaded that ATI Tool about an hour ago, loaded it and click that find max core ... it then proceeded to go from 499 and up and up ... it got to about 545mhz and about 71º before i got worried and cancelled it as i didnt want to damage it as its on stock cooler and im awaiting my new artic silencer 4

1) is it safe to let it find the max itself?
2) once it finds the max core/memory ... shall i put it on that or just below to be on safe side?

As for oc'n the CPU, yeh i've printed out lots of screenies of CPUZ/Everest ready for manual settings in BIOS, but my BIOS has some options that i dont see in either CPU-Z or Everest so i'll have another look and let you know how i get on

Cheers
James

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
true, it just got me worried was hitting like 71º @ 545 and seemed to be still going up and the fan was making a fair bit of noise ... Should get my Artic Silencer 4 tomorrow so will do it then hehe

So, should i set the core/mem to what ATI Tool finds as the max, or just set it a bit below?

Fanks m8!

Regards
James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.