Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ordered an Intel SSD that should be arriving today and I wanted to get everything all ready for installation. I tried last night to get everything disconnected so that I could just install ASAP.

I had the worst time I ever had with my computer and struggled for about an hour trying to figure out how to get one of the clamps off. There was no room at all to move things around. I tried to disconnect my pump bracket to see if that could help and it really didn't.

I ended up pulling the tube off of the pump's left side with the clamp still on it. I have not found a way to open the clamp still, using pliers/screwdrivers to pry it open doesn't work. I ended up draining a majority of the water out (95%) but it was a messy ordeal. I didn't get any water in the case at all but I sure got it on the floor below the workspace I am using. I don't know why I am having a hard time but with the awesome cable management CD put together really restricts me disconnecting everything.

I am very lost at the moment wondering how I am going to disconnect everything and then reconnect it. I have some pics at home that I can't upload until later, but I am feeling like I started an impossible task. What gives, I figured it would be a ton easier just removing clamps, draining water, disconnecting components, and reconnecting. Hell, I even had CD put on a drain port in the back under the radiator to allow for easy draining. That didn't drain much at all when I undid it and had to use the method above to actually get most of the water out.

I had no idea what I actually signed up for would put my rig out of commission and leave me up in arms. I am at the point to just completely remove all of my watercooling and part it out so I don't have to deal with it anymore

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
what kind of clamps did you use? the plastic type? i recommend the metal screw type, much easier to get off, or compression fittings.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

what kind of clamps did you use? the plastic type? i recommend the metal screw type, much easier to get off, or compression fittings.

CD had clamps at his shop, I ended up not having to order them. They are metal clamps and have an interlocking system that keep them in place. No screw on them. I do not think they are reusable. I could be wrong

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcichetti
View Post

They are crimp clamps. How the hell do you remove them?

They are not designed to be removed and re-used.

It is likely that your only recourse is to cut the tubing as close to the barb-attachment, remove the component and then use needle-nose pliers or a small flat-head screwdriver to work the clamp loose. Oftentimes the tubing will be stressed or damaged in the process.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

They are not designed to be removed and re-used.

It is likely that your only recourse is to cut the tubing as close to the barb-attachment, remove the component and then use needle-nose pliers or a small flat-head screwdriver to work the clamp loose. Oftentimes the tubing will be stressed or damaged in the process.

I ended up "shimmying" off the clamp off the end of the tube. It is still attached to itself. This means I would have to order another thing of tubing in addition to new clamps. I really am contemplating parting out my WC parts instead of hassling with all of this......

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A pair of heavy duty wire cutters will snip through those plastic clamps without any issue, and are a worthwhile investment for general modding.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grossebeaver
View Post

A pair of heavy duty wire cutters will snip through those plastic clamps without any issue, and are a worthwhile investment for general modding.

Metal crimp clamps .. and this really hinders that I am trying to reconnect everything. I am about to dismantle the setup altogether.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Why don't you just get steel worm drive hose clamps? They are inexpensive and available at any hardware store.
edit: and they are easily taken off and re-used.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
why dont u reconsider compression fittings =/? it'll make ur life so much easier than clamps..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah... can't go wrong with compression fittings or metal worm drive hose clamps. Both are reusable. The compression fitting cost more and looks nicer. The metal worm drive hose clamps cost about 1 dollar a piece, you could reuse your barbs, but slightly less eye appeal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts