Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first OC of the e6600. I brought it up to 3.0ghz on a Zalman 9700 and I 'm happy with that for now. I have all the parts including an all brass top V-6 stinger, costom made by Fred ready to go, just don't have the time to set it up.

I have yet to dial back the voltages to get rid of some heat but right now CPU tep was maxing out in Prime95 at 67c...here are my voltages as it stands
CPU Core: 1.45V
CPU FSB: 1.5V
nForce SPP: 1.50V
I will start dialing them back tonight. What cpu temp should I be trying for?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
WHOA. Those temps are tooo high!!!

Make sure you used only a little AS5!!! If your using stock gunk get rid of it and buy AS5.

You want to keep below around 50 - 55 degrees. Anything above 60 is pushing things and asking for a broken CPU.

·
Banned
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really! the tutorial that I'm following(http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p3.html) says "ideally you don't want it to hit 70c. If it's getting too hot, look to replace the HSF with a custom, enthusiast-level solution, or lower your CPU voltage."

so I thought I was doing good. anyone with the same CPU on air give me a load temp?

also I'm using the Zalman paste that came with the heatsink it cam with a nice brush and I was able to put a thin sheet of past on it. not sure what past they include stock but it looks to be good stuff.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
you want AS5 and you also dont want to even touch the voltage until you have to. Upping the voltage straight away is the fastest way to kill your CPU. Only put up the voltage if its not posting or Prime95 produces errors early on in the tests. You're aiming for the highest clock speed at the lowest voltage possible. You dont want to be putting up the voltage if you dont have to.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
trust me. That is wrong. Everyone here will agree that putting the voltage up is only done when you need to do it.

Also what they say about putting the FSB up is completely wrong. Increasing the FSB will not destroy your computer. Only voltage and heat can destroy components, not excessive clock speeds. Thanks to POST a computer will be able to tell if it can or cannot run at given clock speeds.

·
Banned
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok when I get home I will drop my voltages back down and see if I don't get a good drop in temps... I hope so. should I go back to default while keeping my 3.0ghz OC and see if I can boot to windows. this seemed soo simple in the artical. then I end up with a 67c load temp after doing word for word what they say..

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
just start from stock settings

Then up the FSB until it wont go any further.

NOW you can up the voltage a little, now see if the FSB will go anymore. Keep doing this till youve got an OC your happy with.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a 6600 at 3.6ghz 400 fsb multiplier of 9 and bios cpu voltage at 1.5 its 1.45ish after vdrop. Then again i have an aftermarket cooler the Tuniq Tower. My temps at load are low-mid 50sC week 32A

·
Banned
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went home for lunch as it was really buggin me and dropped my voltages back to stock, keeping my OC at 3.022ghz it posted fine and I ran prime95 for about 10min CPU temp never went over 54c. This I feel much better about and was still able to pull 11,390 in 3dmark06. my view right now is I'm running faster than any stock C2D and I'm fine with that. I may try to up it to 3.4-3.6 when I get my WC loop on line but for now I'm happy and not going to get greedy as I can't efford to replace anything this time of year.

Alk , Jagger, Thanks for the help!!!!! I'm am very happy with the new system. It has surpassed my expectations which were already very high.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baran View Post

Alk , Jagger, Thanks for the help!!!!!
Thats what we're all here for!

·
Banned
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you think of my OC .I'm happy at 3ghz untill I get my WC loop going. This being my first OC any one see anything that I should change?

edit : i had to save it on 16 color to get it under 1mb sorry.
LL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts