Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the parts I have bought and on their way. It is still in the window for returns though.

Code:
Code:
Component         ModelPrice ($)
CPUIntel Core™ i5-2500K: $195 
CPU CoolerCorsair A70 CPU Cooler $38 
MotherboardASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z:          $165 
RAM2 x 4GB G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage          $50 
Graphics         2  x 1GB MSI Hawk GTX 460          $260 
Hard DriveSAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB          $50 
CaseCooler Master Storm Sniper Black          $60 
PowerSeasonic X750 Gold $130 
OpticalASUS 24X DVD Burner $18 
OSWindows 7 Ultimate         $15 
Total Price$981
Windows 7 Ultimate is student pricing. I would have rebates pending with my purchases (The prices I listed above are prices before rebates). $50 off the GPUs, $15 off the case, and $15 off the cooler.

For the whole mATX in a big tower is I scored a sweet, sweet deal on the case and through reading reviews, I really like the Gene-Z. And with the SLI on the mobo, the large volume in the case will provide better airflow as well.

My overall rationale for the two 460GTX was based on:
  • I am currently in professional school and found a good deal on the two Hawks for a total of $210 after MIR and it helped fit things in my budget for now. Great performance now especially for that price.
  • I don't play many of the very GPU intensive shooters such as Battlefield 3 coming out. Instead I play mainly RTS and RPG only on 1920x1080 (Skyrim, StarCraft II, Diablo 3)
  • I intend to upgrade next Black Friday or so (2012) with the 7xxx or 6xx cards when they come out when I have been out working and making a lot more money than I am making now but keeping a lot of the same parts. Doctorate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was asking elsewhere about comments on this build and someone really suggested I should go watercooling even if I only overclock the CPU to 4.5 Ghz. From his experience, his i5-2500k is running at 4.5 Ghz at 1.33v and his CPU is running at over 60 degrees celsius on a H100 at load.

But someone else on the same community told me to scrap Ultimate for $15 and get Home Premium instead.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Windows 7 Ultimate for $15 is a sweet deal, keep that.

Looks like a great build for a tighter budget. and you have no reason to got to watercooling if you don't want to. My 2500k is at 4.5ghz with a $25 dollar cooler. I guess it depends on what you will be doing, I mean my cpu temps are in the high 70's during prime 95 or IBT, but just gaming they are nowhere near that high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts