Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the situtation, i turned folding on and my cpu jumps to 100% usage, ok thats fine and i close the window thinking that it will run in backround but then all folding stops cpu usage is 5-10%. so umm what happened?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
If you installed it as a service it will run in the background with nothing showing on the desktop. If you didn't and just added it to the startup menu...then you turned it off.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Folding program will only use available processing power so if you minimize it and run something like itunes it will only use the CPu power that is left and not the full 100 percent

While this is correct.....you cpu ussage should still show 100% usage. Turning on something else will slow down folding, but the cpu should still show full load...just on diff percent on diff programs.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
You shut of your folding...you have to leave the window open so far as I know. Unless you are running it as a service.

That is my question...is there any way to fold with out having a window open and not run it as a service? Basically I want to manually start it as I don't run it all the time on my laptop, but I hate having the window open if I am folding.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
You can run the graphical version if you don't want a window or a service. It'll just show as an icon in your tray, and the performance is all but identical to the console version.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
You can also create a BATCH file.

Just open notepad, and make fahstart.bat and fahstop.bat.

In fahstart.bat, put: netstart <service>
In fahstop.bat, put: netstop <service>

Change <service> with the [email protected] service (its different on each computer, depending on where you have the folding exe on your hard drive)

Just run the approiate batch file when you want to start or stop folding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts