Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago I got Resident evil 5 and ran the ingame benchmark test and it was a solid average 60FPS. Today I moved my computer to another room and it kept opening the BIOS settings so I reset the settings, go into resident evil 5, and now my average FPS is 37. I checked Catalyst Control Center and everything is still the same. I checked my BIOS and the cpu, ram, and other things are good. I never overclocked anything by the way.

NOTE: Ever since I moved my computer to a different room and start it up, the BIOS comes up with two options: the HDD and the ASUS motherboard. I click the ASUS motherboard, takes me to the BIOS settings, check it over to see if everything is good and hit save and exit. When I hit save and exit, it just goes back to the BIOS with the two options again until I exit out by clicking Discard changes and save. It's really weird...

This also happens on Battlefield 3 and other games.

Here are my specs:

• HD Radeon 6870 windforce edition
  • 8GB RAM 1800
  • 500GB HDD WD 7200RPM
  • ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Can you download MSI Afterburner and play a game for a few minutes and exit so that we can see if your clocks are getting hung up somewhere? You can check the graphs on the right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post

Can you download MSI Afterburner and play a game for a few minutes and exit so that we can see if your clocks are getting hung up somewhere? You can check the graphs on the right.
Sure thing, this is when playing RE5 :

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, here is a screenshot of me not playing RE5:

http://snpr.cm/M5n0Xj.png

In my room it was 36 degrees and it seems higher in this room. I'll put it back in my room and see what happens.

Other than that, anyone else have any ideas on why it's doing this?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaldo26 View Post

Sure thing, this is when playing RE5 :
In MSI AB, scroll down through the graphs and see if it displays a "GPU core clock" graph.
If it doesn't, go to settings, monitoring and put a check next to GPU core clock and hit OK. It should then display a core clock graph.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66racer View Post

I would try to reseat the video card. Maybe it got a little rattled and a pin in the slot isnt making good contact?
Yea man I am going to open it and see if anything happened. If everything is okay, might as well call ASRock because im sure the BIOS has something to do with it. Maybe replace me CMOS? But that wouldn't make sense since I only had this PC for 3 weeks :x

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow I think i know what set the problem.. before I kept getting that bios screen popup, I hit the reset button on the back of the motherboard, thats when the FPS started to drop. So I cleared the CMOS again and updated the BIOS to a new version and the bios popup issue is gone but I still get low FPS. Any idea why?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Take out the CMOS battery for 2 minutes and then put it back in. Make sure you unplug it from the wall before you do that. Then put back in your battery and start up the machine. Then load default safe settings and download the latest BIOS version again from the ASRock website. Then put it on an USB flash drive, but don't flash the BIOS yet. Completely uninstall your graphics drivers with the Control Center as well, everything.
Then download the latest drivers for your graphics card and restart your computer and get into the BIOS and update it from the USB flash drive.
Then after the update boot back into Windows and re-install the fresh downloaded graphics drivers. Turn of the Anti-Virus in case you have one enabled before the installation. After the installation restart your computer and check if your graphics card's Core Clock and Memory Clock are set correctly. In case you overclocked turn the clocks back to default values. Then try running games and see what it does.

Also I'd also recommend taking out the graphics card from the slot and then re-install it. ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard are a bad choice when it comes to performance and stability. Trust me, I have experience, even had an ASUS board that had similar problems.
Swapped to Gigabyte and the problems were gone.

Anyways, try that out. It should help, since I've always had a very similar problem once.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
I mean, the GPU usage is at 99%. I'm not sure what this would be. Perhaps an unstable CPU?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas11x12 View Post

Take out the CMOS battery for 2 minutes and then put it back in. Make sure you unplug it from the wall before you do that. Then put back in your battery and start up the machine. Then load default safe settings and download the latest BIOS version again from the ASRock website. Then put it on an USB flash drive, but don't flash the BIOS yet. Completely uninstall your graphics drivers with the Control Center as well, everything.
Then download the latest drivers for your graphics card and restart your computer and get into the BIOS and update it from the USB flash drive.
Then after the update boot back into Windows and re-install the fresh downloaded graphics drivers. Turn of the Anti-Virus in case you have one enabled before the installation. After the installation restart your computer and check if your graphics card's Core Clock and Memory Clock are set correctly. In case you overclocked turn the clocks back to default values. Then try running games and see what it does.
Also I'd also recommend taking out the graphics card from the slot and then re-install it. ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard are a bad choice when it comes to performance and stability. Trust me, I have experience, even had an ASUS board that had similar problems.
Swapped to Gigabyte and the problems were gone.
Anyways, try that out. It should help, since I've always had a very similar problem once.
I just tried what u said and my avg. fps is now 29.9..

so weird..

I think it's time to just switch to an Nvidia.. I even called AMD and they just had me installing 5 different driver updates which didnt do anything. They also told me to reseat the GPU so I did and now its just worse.. its so frustrating.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaldo26 View Post

I just tried what u said and my avg. fps is now 29.9..
so weird..
I think it's time to just switch to an Nvidia.. I even called AMD and they just had me installing 5 different driver updates which didnt do anything. They also told me to reseat the GPU so I did and now its just worse.. its so frustrating.
maybe try putting it into another pci-e slot, if you reseated the card and it got worse, wouldnt hurt to see if its that particular pci-e slot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66racer View Post

maybe try putting it into another pci-e slot, if you reseated the card and it got worse, wouldnt hurt to see if its that particular pci-e slot
So I solved the problem.. I re installed windows 7
lachen.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts