Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my best friend is building his first computer. He doesn't know anything about how to or much of what goes into building a computer. I've cycled through about 10 theoretical builds on newegg and he has some specs:
Quiet
Mid tower
And that's about it
His budget is from 1200 - 1400
Applications: Gaming, mainly
Secondary: Autodesk Revit, Blender and CS5 Photoshop. He also edits movies and does light animation. For some reason he's scared of two gpus because I wanted to get him 2 gtx 460 786 mb. Why those? Because he's dual monitor setup is two 2009 Dell eips panels I believe and they work at 1680x1050 so he doesn't need much ram to produce that high res which the 1 gb version could be used for. So can anyone give any suggestions or builds. Oh yeah ofcourse he wants an i7 over an i5 since he will be using HT applications quite a bit.

·
Banned
5,035 Posts
On the video card he wouldn't need 2 460s. A 460 is more than capable of powering two monitors at that resolution. I would agree with one 1GB 460. If he does video and photo apps nvidia would be the way to go as it is more widely supported.

If you live near a MicroCenter you can get an i7 on the cheap. Personally I'd go with the 1366 platform, but whichever you find a better deal on. There really isn't much of noticeable difference between dual and triple channel memory.

Here lately they have been having really good deals on 470s, so if you can find one at the 460 price I'd snatch that up.

With that budget you should be able to get a pretty nice i7 setup.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-block
View Post

On the video card he wouldn't need 2 460s. A 460 is more than capable of powering two monitors at that resolution. I would agree with one 1GB 460. If he does video and photo apps nvidia would be the way to go as it is more widely supported.

If you live near a MicroCenter you can get an i7 on the cheap. Personally I'd go with the 1366 platform, but whichever you find a better deal on. There really isn't much of noticeable difference between dual and triple channel memory.

Here lately they have been having really good deals on 470s, so if you can find one at the 460 price I'd snatch that up.

With that budget you should be able to get a pretty nice i7 setup.

Good luck!

See he played metro 2033 at my house right and he like it and one thing led to another and basically he can't wait to play metro 2033 on high DX11 on. The problem my two SuperClocked 1gb 460s weren't much competition for that game (hell gtx 480s in sli can't keep up, I'm pretty happy myself) granted I was a ****** at the time and had Tessalation on -__-. But I wouldn't bet my money on a single gtx 460 surviving well, D; seeing as I've read countless benchmarks on the matter. But thank you sir/mam the 470 would be perfect at 1gb 460 prices
! I'll go check eBay and OCN marketplace Oe tell him to wait till blackfriday when the 67xx for ati comes out, slashing the prices for pretty much every card out with black Friday sales
. Thanks for the help! Well I was thinking of the i7 950 and an evga mobo but well then with trip chan available why not get 6 gb (even though you could get 8gb at the same price which I never understood). We will see. It really all depends on the sale of his old Mac, if he can sell it then he will increase his budget. Hello i7 950 with gtx 470 ;D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzyko80 View Post
i7 930
asus p6x58de or gb ud3r x58a
gtx 460
corsair xms 3 1600
corsair cx 600 (for a little headroom)
wd caviar blacks for drives
the i7-930 is no longer a viable choice since they halved the price of the i7-950.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post
Exactly, well I like your list and alot of room to move about on ;D
A lot of people like this over the Sabertooth, but you couldn't go wrong with either one in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Airolden View Post
A lot of people like this over the Sabertooth, but you couldn't go wrong with either one in my opinion.
Well you see about that... My dad got a great pc combo with an 930 a few months back and that mobo on newegg. It came with a HAF 932. After putting it together it wouldn't turn on. After 3 hours of troubleshooting. Nothing. And my dads a busy guy and wanted to be there while I built it. This is close to 24 days so 6 left for return policy. Well i couldn't return it and now I'm sitting with a haf 932, bs gigabyte board, 930, 6 gigs of ram, 850w psu 2tb hd, V8800 workstation gpu... Sitting there. Until I can get enough money to buy a new mobo for my dad who's beyond pissed, a whole new sexy system that I can't return to newegg is just sitting there.

=

I WILL NEVER BUY GIGABYTE (THAT BOARD ESPECIALLY) EVER AGAIN. that board is a piece of flying **** idc if I got a bad board.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Airolden View Post
But really thanks for the help. I'm on my phone so I can't see your rig, but +rep thanks for the great advice

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post
So my best friend is building his first computer. He doesn't know anything about how to or much of what goes into building a computer. I've cycled through about 10 theoretical builds on newegg and he has some specs:
Quiet
Mid tower
And that's about it
His budget is from 1200 - 1400
Applications: Gaming, mainly
Secondary: Autodesk Revit, Blender and CS5 Photoshop. He also edits movies and does light animation. For some reason he's scared of two gpus because I wanted to get him 2 gtx 460 786 mb. Why those? Because he's dual monitor setup is two 2009 Dell eips panels I believe and they work at 1680x1050 so he doesn't need much ram to produce that high res which the 1 gb version could be used for. So can anyone give any suggestions or builds. Oh yeah ofcourse he wants an i7 over an i5 since he will be using HT applications quite a bit.
this is the rig your friend needs

cpu- core i7 930($285)/core i7 950($299)
mobo- asus rampage3 gene($240)/asus p6x58d-e($230)/gigabyte gax58a ud3r($210)
gpu- xfx hd5850($250)/evga gtx 470($330)
ram- 3x 2gb corsair xms3 1600mhz(8-8-8-24)[to run triple channel] ($135)
hdd- 1tb western digital cavair black($90)
dvd drive- asus 24x dual layer($28)
pc case- coolermaster haf 932($ 130)
psu- corsair cmpsu 850tx($130)

Hope u like my suggestion,
the prices mentioned are taken from new egg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.