Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help guys!

IThunderBoxl: And then to top it off I have a extra Hard Drive that won't even be detected by MyComputer
mYNamEISMurTy: aww.. hmm... why won't your computer detect your hard drive? did you install the software correctly?
IThunderBoxl: It didnt come with any software, just the Hard Drive
mYNamEISMurTy: well, that's not right.
mYNamEISMurTy: k let me check something
IThunderBoxl: The BIOS has it detected by I cant find it on My Computer
mYNamEISMurTy: you have to install the hard drive first for it to be detected, i believe
IThunderBoxl: I'll update the drivers for it
mYNamEISMurTy: try that. the basic input system should automatically start an install, no?
mYNamEISMurTy: it did that for my hard drive
IThunderBoxl: nope, it didnt do anything
IThunderBoxl: when I put it in

Can you guys help? He got a new hard drive, and it won't install. Is there any way he can fix it? A reply is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
make sure it has a partition on it. Without a partition created windows cannot recognize it. I believe...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RWS

Please help guys!

IThunderBoxl: And then to top it off I have a extra Hard Drive that won't even be detected by MyComputer
mYNamEISMurTy: aww.. hmm... why won't your computer detect your hard drive? did you install the software correctly?
mYNamEISMurTy: you have to install the hard drive first for it to be detected, i believe
mYNamEISMurTy: try that. the basic input system should automatically start an install, no?

Can you guys help? He got a new hard drive, and it won't install. Is there any way he can fix it? A reply is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks

Did he create a partition for it?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Make sure hes using the right socket on the IDE cable. And that hes set the jumpers up correctly. My dvd drive wouldnt install until I did

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RWS

Please help guys!

Thanks

He says it recognizes it in the bios right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewchamp1232

He says it recognizes it in the bios right?

IThunderBoxl: Tell him it does recognize in the BIOS, I just cant find it on my computer anywhere

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Did he set the jumper on it to slave?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigval

Did he set the jumper on it to slave?

IThunderBoxl: The jumper is set to slave

now what?

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Is it SATA or IDE? IDE probably if you're moving jumpers.
If SATA does he have RAID drivers installed?
What OS is he running?
Does it show up in the bios?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

Is it SATA or IDE? IDE probably if you're moving jumpers.
If SATA does he have RAID drivers installed?
What OS is he running?
Does it show up in the bios?

IDE, I use Windows XP, and yes it does show in the BIOS. I can find it on my decive manager but I can't find it in My Computer.It's there but I can't see it and I can't save anything to it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Box

IDE, I use Windows XP, and yes it does show in the BIOS. I can find it on my decive manager but I can't find it in My Computer.It's there but I can't see it and I can't save anything to it.

Put the windows disk in and make sure a partition has been created I bet that's the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Put the windows disk in and make sure a partition has been created I bet that's the problem.

It's a rented computer that didn't come with the disk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

It's a new HDD right, did you format it yet?

No I didn't.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Box

It's a rented computer that didn't come with the disk.

No I didn't.

Well they have a disk but if it's an internal hardrive don't tell them because your not supposed to even open the case until you pay it off.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
You need to format it. Do you have partition magic? If not then I think you can just use a bootable floppy or even the bootable XP CD. Make sure you format the correct drive letter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Well they have a disk but if it's an internal hardrive don't tell them because your not supposed to even open the case until you pay it off.

Well the Hard Drive is just for extra space, so would I need to partition it or anything. I mean if nothing is on it, then would I still need the windows CD?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know how you guys feel on double posting, but I finally figured it out. Thanks to everyone that helped me. Mods can lock this now or do what they will with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts