Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first ever post on pc related forums so bare with me please!

Until today I manged to solve any problems I encountered with my PC's on my own. But now my Geforce GTX 260 Top is suddenly overheating with no aparent
reason to do so. I won't get into my chassi colling. (It is very well set up).

I have played all latest games on very high resolutions and details.. and GPU temp. rose from 33 Idle to 51 Loading at max. (I use Smart Doc to keep an eye on things).

The day came where I desided to dust off the pc. (Carefully !
)
So I took him apart and made him look like new!

Now after putting him back togheter the Idle temp of the GPU is 47-51.. the temp. wich it was at loading before... :swearing:

Now when I play any game the GPU temp rises to 60-85, wich causes a big performance drop in my GAMING routine!

The CPU and Ram temp's are goody!

I know the GTX 260 likes to eat a lot of watts and that a 550 PSU is stretching it a bit finn.. but I never had a problem before.

Any intake on this matter is greatly apreciated!

Best possible regards,

Saphyroth1988

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
60-85C @ load is fine for a GTX 260 (65nm edition). I don't even think the fan even runs at max speed at those temp. 550W is also fine for a GTX 260.

I think it's more of a software issue. Check the CPU usage in Task Manager and install latest nVidia WHQL drivers. It could also be a problem with a game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heya Shadow,

Well thing is it's the first time ever the GTX 260 rises to those temp levels.
I usualy have the fan speed set manualy at 85% before launching a game.
Keeping the drivers updated is a routine for me, so I recon it's all fine with that aspect.

I rechecked the CPU temps and they are really *cool*. 57C is the max recorded.

I tried out an older game to test if it would crash or freeze up, Sacred 2.
After 10min it froze up, so I quickly tabbed to check task manager and it recorded a major spike in the 4th Core.. all outher 3 didn't rise over 30-40%. I have around 32tasks running.

And I trust that if you say the GPU temps at 60-85C @ load are fine, I just don't get why my pc suddenly stopped performing the way it used to with games. Right after I polished him to be clean as an hounds tooth

-Might it be XP related?-

Best possible regards,
Sapyroth1988

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiber View Post
This is old and all, but did you get to fix this?

Have you tried bumping up the fan speed in EVGA Precision?

·
Registered
5 Posts
when i first got my gtx 260 i was using a 400w power supply and it worked fine even on hardcore games so a 550w will be fine and my overclocked gtx runs at 68c on 75% fan even on the best games

·
Fortnite Fanatic
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeCombatArms;11870793
when i first got my gtx 260 i was using a 400w power supply and it worked fine even on hardcore games so a 550w will be fine and my overclocked gtx runs at 68c on 75% fan even on the best games
Are you a Wizard?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts