Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. so I went extremly cheap.. got a Koolance (i know there crap now) MOTHERBOARD block! Im using it on my cpu btw..
Its rated at 30watts.. I didn't even think it would have a chance at cooling my cpu.. It was $18 from newegg
Not to mention, I got a $17 submersible pump..

Ok before with a stock cooler on my 1.4ghz processor, 45c at complete idle (rare), usually around 51c, 65 came very fast at full load, and it crept up to about 68c

With this block using radioshack compound (AS5 comin tommorow) with room temp water, I boot up to 39c
throw in half a tray of ice cubes, boot to windows, by the time im at windows, 34c
Wait a few more minutes, it got down to 30-31c idle for about 20 minutes.. Then I went and played some unreal.. After 15 minutes of unreal and 100% proccesor usage, 39-40c. Motherboard temp, 41c! hahah score

Now I got a really ghetto radiator, homeade, the glue is currently drying.. Im gonna hook it up tommorow and see what temps I can get from prolonged use without ice.

Here within a few days - week i'l be going out of town to my sisters house and getting a heatercore out of her 89 crown vic.

I do plan to improve my setup as money allows, I did this since it would be cheap, and if it didn't work, I could always wait tell I got a better water block.. But the block is fine, i'l keep this block for a few months tell I have extra money layin around and then get a better one, and throw this one on my graphics card..

End of my rant, just posting about how a cheap setup can work.. Hell, this water block I got is just a peice of 1x1x1/4" copper with 3 holes drilled through it....

since I took the pic of the radiator, i'v added two 80mm fans to it

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
lol "throw in half a tray of ice cubes" Yup, ghetto is the word I would use for that
Interested that it actually worked though.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even better news.

Hooked up my homeade radiator, and its plenty to dissipate the heat

Last night I let it run for like 4 hours striaght before bed, it was at 42c idle

I poured in pretty HOT water into the resivoir

Checked temps, 48c idle
10 min later, back down to 42c idle..
Just woke up 7 hours later also, 42c.

·
Registered
663 Posts
dude thats real cool its like homemade and creative more props to you for creating something cheap that gave an awesome decrease in temps

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
im glad to know that worked....but i know it wouldnt have enough to cool a fast prescott or A64. thats really cool, and little by little u can tweak it around and get it nice and organized. great job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts