Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I installed my wb I started to run into freezing issues. My card wont run Vantage or Heaven it freezes in the middle of the bench.

I increased the voltage it ran once fine, tried one more time with same settings and it froze again. I OC'ed mildly with higher v and core (1.075/860)
it didnt work either. I really dont want to remove the card to put back the stock cooler because of the loop...I dont know waht to do.

I revert CPU back to stock, it didnt make any difference

Is my card dead?

Edit: 04-06-10
I just installed my new CPU, mobo, case and reinstalled the GPU wb. Installed a fresh windows and still getting the same problem
PSU wudnt cause this issue right?

RMA time for GPU?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Put the rest of your rig at stock and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCOC
View Post

Put the rest of your rig at stock and give it a try.

As I stated in my original post, I have already tried that and it didnt work.

I also recovered my windows back to original state, still no GO!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Freezing eh? Hmm. I've only had my gpu lock up if the overclock was too high (on the gpu) or if the fan didn't ramp up to an acceptable level.

It sounds like you have the gpu overclocked. Take it back down to stock and see what happens. If it still gets you into Windows I'm pretty sure it isn't dead or at least not yet.

That's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What is Memio, VDCC during Vantage when it freezes? got a 2nd monitor to use?

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sti-06
View Post

After I installed my wb I started to run into freezing issues. My card wont run Vantage or Heaven it freezes in the middle of the bench.

I increased the voltage it ran once fine, tried one more time with same settings and it froze again. I OC'ed mildly with higher v and core (1.075/860)
it didnt work either. I really dont want to remove the card to put back the stock cooler because of the loop...I dont know waht to do.

I revert CPU back to stock, it didnt make any difference

Is my card dead?

The card is back at stock voltage/clocks?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hmm since you took it down to stock already It sounds like to me it is dead. I really do not know what to offer after taking it to stock and it still does that. RMA if you can man sorry bud..but I am out of opitions..

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

Freezing eh? Hmm. I've only had my gpu lock up if the overclock was too high (on the gpu) or if the fan didn't ramp up to an acceptable level.

It sounds like you have the gpu overclocked. Take it back down to stock and see what happens. If it still gets you into Windows I'm pretty sure it isn't dead or at least not yet.

That's all I can think of for now.

It is at stock settings now.

That is the thing, it does freeze even with the stock clocks. The only reason I overclocked because I had cold bug issue with stock idle clocks. Increasing idle clocks fixed the issue. So i though increasing the load clocks will fix but didnt work

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

What did you use for TIM?
You've tried different drivers?
The dies are exposed, correct?
Any damage to them?
Inspect the pcb for damage, any screwdriver slips?

- I used Shin-Etsu Micro Si
- Dies at where, I cudnt understand the q?
- I dont think i made any damage but there was TIM I coudnt remove from stock underneat the first GPU
- I am pretty sure screw driver didnt slip

The only thing I can think of I put the washers on top of the back plate. Was it supposed to be in the between of the block and back plate?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never mind I looked at the instructions pics and washer are on the back plate

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sti-06
View Post

- I used Shin-Etsu Micro Si
- Dies at where, I cudnt understand the q?
- I dont think i made any damage but there was TIM I coudnt remove from stock underneat the first GPU
- I am pretty sure screw driver didnt slip

Dies, the shiny square things under the HS

I would strip it down again, take a soft bristled toothbrush saturated with alcohol and scrub around the die area, or anywhere the tim should not be.
Have canned air handy.

Reassemble, making an effort to torque all the screws down evenly.
when you installed the wb, you did make sure to use the insulated washers, teflon, paper, plastic, whatever they may be?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Dies, the shiny square things under the HS

I would strip it down again, take a soft bristled toothbrush saturated with alcohol and scrub around the die area, or anywhere the tim should not be.
Have canned air handy.

Reassemble, making an effort to torque all the screws down evenly.
when you installed the wb, you did make sure to use the insulated washers, teflon, paper, plastic, whatever they may be?

I used the hardware that came with the block. I followed the steps one by one with the provide screws and washers and thermal pads.

I guess I have no choice but take it off.

It looks like one of the pads slid off little bit which is sticking out underneath the block. So that might be the issue.

Time to put computer to sleep. This is the only reason I hate water cooling, have to cut hoses just to takeout the card...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just installed my new CPU, mobo, case and reinstalled the GPU wb. Installed a fresh windows and still getting the same problem

PSU wudnt cause this issue right?

RMA time for GPU?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What are the VRM temps when it freezes? log it if you don't have 2 monitors ( grasping at straws here)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCOC View Post
What are the VRM temps when it freezes? log it if you don't have 2 monitors ( grasping at straws here)
40,39 and 38

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
In my new build I had a problem with running 3Dmark as well, it would always crash somewhere in the beginning or middle of it. I was about to RMA my card, then I ran Prime95 and found that it was failing blended tests, which indicated a ram problem. Ran memtest86+ and sure enough the ram was bad. Strange because I wasn't getting any BSODs. Swapped ram and now 3Dmark06 and vantage both work fine.

Not sure if this is your problem or not, but it sounds like you've replaced just about everything else, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you overtighten any screws when putting on the waterblock? Check to make sure there's no warping in the PCB board.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts