Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, like the title stated, I have dual sli gtx 480 and I set my fans to 75% and was playing bfbc 2 for a couple of hours and during some period of gaming my top card reach 105c for a period of time and I didn't notice it until I alt+tab out to change a song..... this has never happen before and I always set my fans between 75%-80% when I game and I never have temps reach over 80c.... my cards are fairly new..... will my card be damage because it has been running so hard for a while??

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aldfig0
View Post

105°C is the maximum safe temperature according to Nvidia.
Nevertheless, that is dangerously close to the limit, and should not happen at all with 75-80% fan speed. Try reseating the cooler/new thermal paste.

I doubt that will help much if it's hitting 105.

@OP how is the airflow in your case? are the cards spaced togather? Try putting a fan on front/side if you can to blow on them, should provide some extra airflow.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
More details about your rig OP!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
time to RMA maybe

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Well I am willing to GUESS that this is because of how the cards are spaced and airflow in your case.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Most likely airflow... Mine max SCII at 71, so there's no reason yours should hit 105 in a good case.

Fill out your system specs beneath your user control panel.

·
Banned
2,309 Posts
You should leave ur cards on Auto fan if u ask me.
Much better than leaving at 75%.

Cos for high loads 75% fan is not enough by far.

Also spcae the cards as wide apart on ur mobo as possible.

Also make sure have a case with exceptional airflow to accomadate TWO of those heat monsters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Haf X case and I have an EVGA SLI 3 mobo. The cards are put on top of each other, but I had the rig for quite a while and this has never happen before as my cards never went over 80c before even when I game with metro at all settings max.... I'm wondering if it is a misread by evga precision..... but the card is fine now.... so I wonder if there was any damage...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Stick with MSI AB if you need to change anything.
I've had an older EVGA Precision 'bug' my fan speeds & consequently cause my temps to run ~100C+.

Edit:
Just as an addendum, although precision/AB stem from the same program RivaTuner; they are not one-in-the-same.
Thus the separate release dates, slightly different features and unfortunately bugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see... I guess I'll stick with MSI AB.... But I'm wondering if my card is damaged.... but so far things seems fine....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
it will seem fine
but those cards are hot
u need to puta a fan infront of them, and set the fan speed to 80% manually

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
@OP

Are you running evga precision and eleet at the same time?

If so the newer versions of eleet will clash with precision and other monitoring programs that monitor fan speeds and such.

It wil make your video card fans run amok or go to zero rpm's

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razi3l
View Post

I doubt that will help much if it's hitting 105.

@OP how is the airflow in your case? are the cards spaced togather? Try putting a fan on front/side if you can to blow on them, should provide some extra airflow.

Re-seating the heatsink and applying new thermal paste lowered my 8800GT temps back when I had it from 112C to 82C under full load. Probably had more to do with me cleaning the dust though.

·
Bigger is Always Better
1,115 Posts
If it was at 105 for a short period, it should be OK. Set MSI AfterBurner in manual and adjust it so that the fans can run at 100%. It's not the default, you have to move it to 100%. I was playing the Arcania demo and my SLI of GTX480's, stacked similar to yours, got to 85c with the fans running 100%!

While I wasn't worried, it surprised me that they got that warm. Of course I had everything maxed out, right?
Anyway, I put a couple fans in the side panel of my Corsair B00D and it made a huge difference in temps. Put a couple fans in your side door for the added insurance.

edit: It's the case in my avatar. The fans are positioned to blow directly on the 480's

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
You should leave ur cards on Auto fan if u ask me.
Much better than leaving at 75%.

Cos for high loads 75% fan is not enough by far.

Also spcae the cards as wide apart on ur mobo as possible.

Also make sure have a case with exceptional airflow to accomadate TWO of those heat monsters.
^^^ This.

You can't leave 480's in SLI at 75% fan or this is what will happen. They need to be able to get to 100% if they need to.

They should be okay, but don't make a habit of letting them get this hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts