Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.. i'm really new to gtx400 series and sli.
but i came across my gtx 470 underclock so often. one running at stock and other one running at 405mhz. is there anyway to disable this auto underclock?? dont' really want to see 60% on one card and 15% on other.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so any idea??? if there isnt' please let me know as well so i don't have to keep searching on net how to fix this

·
Registered
489 Posts
We kind of need more information than just that they keep underclocking, since this could be caused by a number of issues. My first guess would however be that they're getting overheated, well either that or they just aren't stressed enough to need to be at full speed the whole time.

Do please give us more info though.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
yup, it underclocks when it's not used to save power and low heat output. When a game or movie/app is opened a single 470 will go back to it's normal clock. During gaming mode both 470s will operate at normal clock.

You can use msi profiles/rivatuner to make it run at full speed all the time, but it's really not needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok running 100% fan speed using precision. current temp is 45'C on top gpu and 39'C on bottom gpu. while i'm playing game goes to top 55'C on top and 50'C on bottom gpu.
but still my gpu's get underclock here and there.. sometimes 405mhz sometimes 607mhz.
regardless of heat. is there option somewhere i can just run at stock speed 100% of the time instead getting underclocked

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Yes this is because you have the adaptive power setting in the NVIDIA control panel (under 3D settings). This means that the cards clocks will vary depending on the GPU load, mine usually runs at 405Mhz in most games (eg. worms) which is fine, changing the setting to full power doesn't really help performance though, it just increases heat and power consumption so it's just best to leave it in adaptive imo, especially in SLI

Oh and why do you want to run 100% all the time? Do you prefer to idle at 75*c all the time?.. it won't really help performance if the game isn't intensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i changed to Performance from adaptive power setting in nvidia contorl panel. but sitll goes to 405mhz clock. even at stock clock running 100% don't think it will ever go 75'C idle.. well i'm running my fan at 100% and saving money to get waterblocks

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joohyung86 View Post
i changed to Performance from adaptive power setting in nvidia contorl panel. but sitll goes to 405mhz clock. even at stock clock running 100% don't think it will ever go 75'C idle.. well i'm running my fan at 100% and saving money to get waterblocks
It isn't really advised to run it at 607Mhz all the time because nobody wants all the extra heat and power being used, and it wouldn't hurt to have the GPU clock down if it can manage the load easily. You're probably worried that by running at 405Mhz over 607 it will affect performance but it only does that if the load put on it is something it can handle (it wouldn't downclock in something like Crysis, but it would for Peggle).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah ok. well it seems bit sluggish running at 405mhz using 60% on both gpu. which runs around 38% if it was 607. i will see wag happens if i play crysis on it

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
What game(s) are we talking about here?

I see this same thing regularly with games that are really easy to run like Kings Bounty, or on loading screens of lots of games. It's totally normal, and I've never noticed any serious 'lag' when it happens. You should definitely be runnign any games where this happens at the highest available in-game image quality settings. You could also try forcing AA/AF in the control panel, see if that increases the load enough to stop downclocking ... but note there's a lot of games where nvcp 'forced' settings don't work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts