Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

About 3 months ago I decided to make my first PC build. I was sick of just buying PC's from shops and getting them to do small upgrades for me, so I decided to do a bit of research and have a go.

Being my first build, only being 17 not having that much money I didn't go all out.

The parts I got were:
  • Core 2 Quad Q9550
  • WD 1.5 TB HDD
  • Cooler Master ToughPower 600W PSU
  • GB GTX 260 OC
  • Kingston DDR3 1333mhz
  • 2x Samsung DVD burners
  • Cooler Master HAF 922 case
I've been doing some small work on it here and there, I purchased a 120mm red LED fan for the rear which is nice and a Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler.
I attempted some stealth drives, they came out pretty nice as well

I'm considering painting the inside of the case but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Is it possible to paint without dissembling the actual case?

Today I purchased some 20mm split loom tubing in an attempt to tidy up the cabling a bit. Here are some before and after pics.

Pics:

Before the split loom, stealth drives and 120mm rear LED fan.

Working on the split loom cable management. Graphics cards been taken out. I have also removed the unused DVD drive bays for improved air flow.

Close up of the loom.

Split loom tubing completed almost.

Tubing completed, rear panel back on and black tape over some leads.

Completed. Side panel off with the lights off.

So that's my project so far. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do next? I was thinking about somehow placing LED's around the case. Does anybody know how I would go about actually lighting the LED's up?

I am also thinking about getting a red cold cathode as well.

Thanks for having a look
All comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Not bad I am surprised it actually looks good using the tubing. I thought about that also, but I was scared it would look ugly but seems it really doesn't.
No you don't have to remove the case's rivets to paint it. I actually did my painting a few days ago, half-a**ed but it's decent for the effort I put in.

Here's my advice from someone who painted the HAF 922...
- Get lots of painters tape, you will need this to prevent primer/paint from getting over the already painted sides..
* You need to cover every ventilation hole for the front fan/top fan, 5.25" bays, and any place there is a hole on the already-painted sides. the tape should be applied on the side of the black paint not on the bare steel side (duh).
* Remember to double check the tape to make sure it's sealed.
(start with primer, then end with paint after following the instructions)
- Start with the "top" of the case by flipping it upside down, then the motherboard tray/5.25 bays, and hard drive cages, the expansion side. You will need to rotate yourself around the case to get all the bare steel. Be sure to paint the bottom of the case while your at it (will be the top of the case while the case is upside down).
- Flip the case around gripping the sides with the tape. Finish painting the case.
- Triple check to make sure you painted every part (I missed a couple parts). before you let the case dry, depending on the paint you may have 10 minutes to check before the paint becomes "dry to handle". Some paints can easily take longer.
- I recommend using only 1 coat of primer, and 1 coat of paint. Any thicker paint coats and you may have issues with the 5.25 bays, screws, and anything else requiring a very tight fit.

FYI Do not get Valspar paint. It really is not as good as I thought it would be. I should of gone for automobile quality paint..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words and advice

I'm considering doing it maybe next weekend if I'm not too busy. The taking everything out of the case then putting it back in will be a somewhat argues task but necessary I guess.
If you wouldn't mind, could you please post up some pics of your case? I'm keen to see how it finishes up when not done super professionally.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
you must have done a lot of research. i wouldn't have chose that cpu cooler, but other than that this is a nice setup!

edit: btw, you should add a rig in you user control panel so we can see it in your signature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you joking about the research or?? Why wouldn't you have chosen the CPU cooler? I really liked it due to it matches my theme as well

I will add my rig to my signature now.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapo View Post
Thanks for the kind words and advice

I'm considering doing it maybe next weekend if I'm not too busy. The taking everything out of the case then putting it back in will be a somewhat argues task but necessary I guess.
If you wouldn't mind, could you please post up some pics of your case? I'm keen to see how it finishes up when not done super professionally.

Thanks

Yeah I will take some pics later. Gotta prepare for a birthday party first I will try to do a video however. I will also point out some common mistakes done while painting the case (I did rush this one pretty badly because I did not have an alternative case to put my system in. Now I wish I would have taken my time).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soterakl
View Post

sorry thats FARRRR better
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...build-haf.html

Yeah it is better looking but considering the OP's budget/time frame, I would have to say that it looks pretty good all things considered. I just did cable management last night, couldn't sleep. I am pleased with the results. I will get started on the video now.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Nice build. Very subtle and looks professional.

The cooler does match your theme and it looks nice , but as for performance there are way better for about the same price and look.

I was skeptical about the tubing , but it looks really nice honestly. You might want to tidy it up a bit and tuck them a little just to make sure it's not hindering airflow.

Also maybe get some heat spreaders for the ram. They are not too expensive and of course would lower the ram temperature and add a little to the look.

Let's see some temps and benchmarks!!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I meant that you did very well since this is your first build. The tubing is a great idea. Are you going to move to 64-Bit windows?

The CM V6 is soon to be out. it spanks the V8 and meets your theme. The heat pipes are in a V shape so they get maximum airflow. the fins are slanted because fans create vortexes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soterakl
View Post

sorry thats FARRRR better
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...build-haf.html

I'm sorry. Maybe if I had that sort of money, was a bit older and had some more time on my hands? Sorry if I can't please all...

Also, like the title states, this is my HAF 922 project. Not 932.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsAnAtheist
View Post

Yeah it is better looking but considering the OP's budget/time frame, I would have to say that it looks pretty good all things considered.

Thanks mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sno
View Post

Nice build. Very subtle and looks professional.

The cooler does match your theme and it looks nice , but as for performance there are way better for about the same price and look.

I was skeptical about the tubing , but it looks really nice honestly. You might want to tidy it up a bit and tuck them a little just to make sure it's not hindering airflow.

I will have another go at it next weekend, tidy things up a bit and make it look a bit nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sno
View Post

Also maybe get some heat spreaders for the ram. They are not too expensive and of course would lower the ram temperature and add a little to the look.
Let's see some temps and benchmarks!!!

This sounds interesting. Do you have any in mind that would go nicely? Is there any free benchmarking software available? My idle temps are roughly around 35 degrees ish. When playing BC2 they go up to about 47 or so. My CPU that is

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon-nick
View Post

I meant that you did very well since this is your first build. The tubing is a great idea. Are you going to move to 64-Bit windows?

The CM V6 is soon to be out. it spanks the V8 and meets your theme. The heat pipes are in a V shape so they get maximum airflow. the fins are slanted because fans create vortexes.

The V6 looks very nice, might be worth an upgrade when it comes out. What would the benefits of going to 64-Bit be? Apart from the obvious and having more than 4GB of RAM. (I wouldn't mind having 8GB
)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much, I'll look into one. Is there any real benefit of getting one except heat reduction? I don't think they would get that hot now would they?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well it always good to keep your important components cool and not unless your overclocking your ram then you shouldn't worry.

You could say keeping them cooler might prolong their life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stormcr4nk View Post
Just wanted to jump in and say great job on your first build man, keep up the good work

Thank you very much
+rep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sno View Post
Well it always good to keep your important components cool and not unless your overclocking your ram then you shouldn't worry.

You could say keeping them cooler might prolong their life.
I've never tried over clocking RAM, but I might pick up a cooler and give it a go.

I'm going to have another crack today at the cable management, see if I can hide those rogue cables

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by drb328 View Post
good job on the first build. +rep
Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts