Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
I cant see the YT video seeing as YT is blocked at my workplace, but I don't see whats so special about a 4Ghz OC? Does he have some insanely low volts? Hell, mine is at 4.2Ghz......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's got turbo enabled so he's idling under 1v. When he ran superPi he was hitting 4.0Ghz at around 1.233 volts. When he ran Large FFT on Prime95 using all 4 cores he hit 3.5 running with 1.166 volts.

Temps never got over 51C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilraver018
View Post

That is just how the i7's and i5 are created.

With turbo on single thread programs that are cpu intensive you give your a higher clock.

nice voltages though but this is child play in this forum.

Everyone here is getting 4ghz and over on multithread applications.

I'm just impressed by the volts he's running to get where he's at with the turbo on. I want to duplicate this OC. 4ghz for single threads, 3.5 for prime95 torture, and seriously cold at idle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Plus not to mention all he does is do a quick pi calculation and a near 5min prime95. I could do that with 4.2ghz.

I'd like to see him run 20 runs of IBT and 10hrs prime95 with those settings.
In IBT he wouldn't get past the 2nd run and in prime he'd get errors within the hour.

So allthough it looks impressive, that oc is useless except for some quick benchmarks, and not stable at all...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by genuine555
View Post

Plus not to mention all he does is do a quick pi calculation and a near 5min prime95. I could do that with 4.2ghz.

I'd like to see him run 20 runs of IBT and 10hrs prime95 with those settings.
In IBT he wouldn't get past the 2nd run and in prime he'd get errors within the hour.

So allthough it looks impressive, that oc is useless except for some quick benchmarks, and not stable at all...

I think he meant to show off his speed and 50C temps more than stability in this video. I have no idea who he is or if the OC is stable. It'd be pretty impressive if it was 24/7 stable at those volts though, no?

·
OCN ***** Warz Champ 2010
462 Posts
i could do super pi at 4.726ghz

-TrippinBimmer

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My goal for OC is 24/7 stable, 4ghz single-threads (where I'll be doing most of my work), with turbo ON so my temps/power consumption stay low.

In the video he's got the exact speeds I'm going to be shooting for, and some nice low volts and temps. That's what grabbed my attention.

I'm just wishing he had posted his specs on youtube and whether or not it's 24/7 stable.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer
View Post

i could do super pi at 4.726ghz

-TrippinBimmer

Exactly. And it won't mean anything.
I could do super pi at 4.500 too with ease,
but to get it stable would be a whole different ball park.

I got my rig stable at 4.0ghz, then 4.2ghz few days ago, but since it requires 1.32v and 1.375v vcore respectively, it wasn't worth the extra powerdrain and heat, so backed down to 3.8ghz with a mear 1.24v vcore. This will be my sweatspot for this cpu, and it means more to me then showing off 4.2 for a few minutes. xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags
View Post

I cant see the YT video seeing as YT is blocked at my workplace, but I don't see whats so special about a 4Ghz OC? Does he have some insanely low volts? Hell, mine is at 4.2Ghz......

How did you get it that high? If someone could give me their voltage inputs into the bios than I'd be very greatful. I can only get mine up to 3.2ghz and it doesnt want to go higher. My OCgenie button only raises it to 2.8 D:<

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I love his voltages. I also leave most of the things on [auto] (except RAM and VTT). Great for temps and power saving. Even in games my CPU volts and frequency stay low if not needed. But at full load my volts go much higher. Not sure how he did it.

• Rep+
Reactions: CaptainSWJR

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aminalcrackers
View Post

How did you get it that high? If someone could give me their voltage inputs into the bios than I'd be very greatful. I can only get mine up to 3.2ghz and it doesnt want to go higher. My OCgenie button only raises it to 2.8 D:<

Since I have a 'normal' cpu, which is what most ppl will have, try these :

[/URL][/IMG]

Unless you have a golden cpu, you'll be pretty close to this, with maybe some better temps depending on your HS.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by genuine555 View Post
Since I have a 'normal' cpu, which is what most ppl will have, try these :

[/URL][/IMG]

Unless you have a golden cpu, you'll be pretty close to this, with maybe some better temps depending on your HS.
Nice speed there!

Yours is a static 4ghz OC right? The thing that interested me in the video was that it was a dynamic OC.

At first I thought he just bumped his clock to 167 and left everything else on auto. What intrigued me was the volts being so low. I was hoping people with a dynamic OC would weigh in on how those voltages were achieved.

I love seeing the big numbers that people can pull out of the Core i5-750s, but a static OC doesn't suit my tastes. I want to see how high I can safely go 24/7 with turbo on. I'd rather settle for a lower max speed to keep the functionality.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
If I leave my vcore on auto, bios does the job pretty well, but my vcore is 1.3 @3.6GHz. I am not sure how offset option works for vcore tho. Maybe he used that... dunno

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogon
View Post

Over 4ghz or bust

u have billion of threads for that. Go read them...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainSWJR
View Post

Nice speed there!

Yours is a static 4ghz OC right? The thing that interested me in the video was that it was a dynamic OC.

At first I thought he just bumped his clock to 167 and left everything else on auto. What intrigued me was the volts being so low. I was hoping people with a dynamic OC would weigh in on how those voltages were achieved.

I love seeing the big numbers that people can pull out of the Core i5-750s, but a static OC doesn't suit my tastes. I want to see how high I can safely go 24/7 with turbo on. I'd rather settle for a lower max speed to keep the functionality.

You got it wrong.
This is a dynamic oc !
speedstep ON (when idle it's @1.008 vcore and x9 multi)
C1E ON !
Turboboost ON (hence the x21 multi)

About 5 hours stable now :

[/URL][/IMG]

Gonna leave it running overnight, so I can give you a stable proof tomorrow

EDIT : here's idle to show you speedstep is also ON :

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts