Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my rig purchased almost exclusively from Microcenter when they were advertising the i7-920 for $200 bucks. Given a $1400 buck budget, I sought for some decent components. I have only had it for a few weeks so far, but I'm trying to make some improvements. ^^ Its name was inspired by the computer GERTY from the movie Moon.

So far I have a dual-monitor setup. Soon when I eventually hit Tri-SLI or get a GTX470/480 and use the GTX275 as a PhysX card, I'll make the third monitor for temperature/voltage monitoring plus widgets display. Right now it's connected to my house's mainframe computer, a dedicated box that holds backups and media for the whole house to enjoy.

Scythe Kama Bay for some additional intake. It sadly wasn't the black one, the silver one was the last one in stock. It will be replaced or repainted shortly. =D

The SATA backplane's default 800D cables were too tight fitting for my taste, so with my HX850 I used a modular line and connected it with a sort of twisted loopy way...and that I'm more comfortable with.

My Venomous-X with 2 Yate Loon Medium Speed 120mm fans =3

A Corsair HX850 I acquired from someone BNIB on Craigslist for $140. What a steal!! ^^

More to come..3 low speed Yate Loon fans with green LEDs for the top exhaust to show my nVidia pride. =D

UPDATE 6/9/2010: Looks like I finally got up to taking pics of the rig with some updates. Pardon the quality, they're taken from my Nexus One rather than the SLR. I got the LED YL's up on the top case, and got a second GTX 275. Not entirely impressed with the GTX 400 series, but in due time, I'll replace them. I also got an OCZ Vertex LE 100 gb SSD, replacing my Velociraptor as the primary drive. What an improvement..

I also obtained a Corsair H50. Cools just as nicely, and gives the case a bit more breathing room. Very very nice. Maybe I'll get GentleTyphoons or San Aces when newark.com gets them in stock.

A lot roomier, no? =3

Maybe I'll tuck those 12v 6-pins in a bit more, but the right side of the case is bulging with all of the molex's running around there ><; Looks like I'll have to clean the inside a bit, i see dust reflecting from the phone's camera flash xDDD

9/15/10 - I got water cooling! CPX-Pro pump, Swiftech Apogee GTZ, MCR-320, and a rev 2.0 MicroRes. 1/2" ID tubing the whole way through.

10/6/10 - Decided to sell my i7-920, 6 gb ram, 2x GTX 275's and GA-X58A-UD5 for an i5-760, 4 gb ram, and a GTX 470. Pics to follow =3 Going to be buying a Swiftech MCR-80 with the GTX 470 heatspreader too.

·
Initializing...
23,798 Posts
Nice setup! I like the case! Hows the airflow and temps?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth0789
View Post

Nice setup! I like the case! Hows the airflow and temps?

With my current voltage (LLC Level 2 1.360V), I'm getting 38 degs C idle and 86 degs C load after 20 LinX runs. It does get very hot after maybe 80 runs, hitting 90 degs C, so I'm not ultimately content. I'll hopefully land some San Ace fans for some nice static pressure and maybe drop those load temps more. Also I'll probably shift the rear 140mm as an intake once I get the YL fans for top exhaust so the machine can get lots of positive airflow in. Any tips to improve by chance?

·

13,213 Posts
The 800d case isn't the best airflow case, but it sure is nice to look at

·
Registered
567 Posts
Any fans on the top?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I'm eventually going to migrate to water cooling, but money isn't coming in because I'm dedicating my time for school, maybe I'll continue a part time job in the summer and get it. For now, when i'm playing games, I don't see temps hit higher than 70, which I'm okay with. Not the best, but eh. Not gonna kill my chip too early right? We'll see tho. Definitely going to pick up WC components for sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren_F1
View Post

Any fans on the top?

None at the moment unfortunately. My old Antec Tricool fan would've done the trick, but for some reason it vibrates too much at low speed and causes an annoying hum that I can't seem to get rid of. Noise I don't particularly mind, but..I guess you could say I got spoiled with these quieter fans. I used to run stock case fans on my old Centurion 5 case and my Q9450 rig and two Antec Tricools at high speed on a lapped TRUE. Haha..lets say that noise is a consideration in purchases now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some goodies are arriving, a second BFG GTX 275 OC for SLI, 3x YL Green LED Slow speed fans for top exhaust, and perhaps a 600 gb Velociraptor with a 2 TB Samsung F3 storage drive. I'm in the up and about right now. Just thinking of which new UMPC/netbook to replace my white EEE 901 first, and then maybe the latter hard drive upgrades will come to place.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for showing us your rig! I was thinking of using a HAF, but then started thinking of the Obsidian, and this helped convince me. Looking forward to seeing pics with the new parts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's definitely the most spacious case I've worked in, this was coming from an old Chieftec Dragon and a Cooler Master Centurion 5 mid tower ATX. The cooling options are supposidly stark, but I've been playing around with the fan directions. So far, my temps raised by putting the rear 140mm fan as intake and having the 3 YL slow speed fans up top as exhaust. I believe this was since it was a pain trying to put the rubber grommet back on (I decided to remove it, but I notice the case has a tiny bit more noise..) and I was leaning against the VenX. I'll probably reseat it tomorrow or later tonight. A friend recieved his new mobo and secondary vid card so I might be working on that.

Since my single SLI bendy bridge gave my 3d games in fullscreen some discoloration, I popped the mobo-provided gigabyte 3 way sli bridge, and for some reason, I'm super tempted to purchase a third one to make it look proper..convince me either way! Haha =3

I've also settled on getting an EEE 1005PR with a 2 gb upgrade and an OCZ Vertex LE 100gb SSD. If the SSD proves to be just as fast as the stock 250 gb 5400 rpm HDD on the EEE 1005PR, I'll probably put it on GERTY. Of course, going with my new naming convention, my EEE will be called GERTY 2. =) Expect some interesting skinning in due time for GERTY 2 in another thread!

Will indeed keep up to date, and hopefully some pics for everyone tonight!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do apologize, I haven't posted new updates in a while..but that's not to say I haven't stopped working on her

Recently picked up a Corsair H50 from Best Buy when it was $60 to experiment with, and turns out that the H50 cools just as effectively as the VenX. o_O strange, but whatever works..I'm guessing the YL Medium speeds are mediocre as a heatsink fan. I also opted for a second GTX 275 because the 400 series still needs to mature IMO, just too early to pay a premium for something that'll be superceded just like the GTX 260 and GTX 280 were (275/285).

Here's some pics, pardon my poor quality, they're taken from my Nexus One instead of my Canon SLR.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by princedwi View Post
I do apologize, I haven't posted new updates in a while..but that's not to say I haven't stopped working on her

Recently picked up a Corsair H50 from Best Buy when it was $60 to experiment with, and turns out that the H50 cools just as effectively as the VenX. o_O strange, but whatever works..I'm guessing the YL Medium speeds are mediocre as a heatsink fan. I also opted for a second GTX 275 because the 400 series still needs to mature IMO, just too early to pay a premium for something that'll be superceded just like the GTX 260 and GTX 280 were (275/285).

Here's some pics, pardon my poor quality, they're taken from my Nexus One instead of my Canon SLR.

lol love the rig man ;] i wish i had a case with that much space, and the cable management is fantastic as well. also, i see hara

Also, ur idle temps are fantastic with that Ven X (from ur past post) im using lower voltage than u for my 4.1 ghz oc, and the lowest idle temp i have seen is 43 C lol.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The UPS man was also happy to send me this. How thoughtful of him! =)

Currently getting a 7.7 rating in the WEI for the hard drive, bested the 5.9 from the Velociraptor which is now serving as my backup/bulk storage drive.

Some comparisons of my drives, I've used the F3 as my primary drive for quite some time to make judgment, and honestly, it's been a great budget drive. But the Vertex LE just blows everything away, bar none.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpopsaranghae
View Post

lol love the rig man ;] i wish i had a case with that much space, and the cable management is fantastic as well. also, i see hara

Thanks for the kind remarks about the rig, though my phone seems to have exaggerated the amount of dust..looks like I'll have to give it a nice clean up this weekend. Lol, glad you caught onto my Hara ^^; I see you're a Tiffany from Soshi fan =3

·
Registered
938 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by princedwi
View Post

Thanks for the kind remarks about the rig, though my phone seems to have exaggerated the amount of dust..looks like I'll have to give it a nice clean up this weekend. Lol, glad you caught onto my Hara ^^; I see you're a Tiffany from Soshi fan =3

lol yes im a big soshi fan :3 but kara is good too :] i liked their song, mister ;]
anyways, ur load temps seemed really high on ur ven X. on my h50, i hit 84 C at those same voltages (1.344 Vcore), and but that is with increased summer heat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It could be because I didn't tighten the VenX properly. When I installed the heatsink, I believe I overtightened it and the heatsink wasn't making proper contact on the entire die. I saw the bulk of the pressure was mostly in the center, but the outer edges appeared to be less on contact. I did the double line thermal paste technique to get the most surface spread, but I guess it was just my lack of experience with aftermarket coolers.

The H50 is also using stock TIM and I had issues mounting it, probably causing the rise in temps and probably air pockets between the heatsink and CPU die. I'll try and investigate that soon enough too.

Man, that Tri-SLI bridge with the third empty pair of ports really tempts me to put a third GTX 275 on there just to make it even. Lol..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.