Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i want to get a full coverage waterblock for my 5870, but i have a problem, NONE of the block you can buy, look really that good....
If i have a 5870 or a 5890 or even say a 480, why would i want that model on the top of the waterblock, as far as i know, not many people stick their heads into the case to see under the card and what model is printed on the waterblock. WHY??? Why not, make a really good looking engraving on the side of the block that faces your window.

Another complaint, so sure they don't have the card model on the side etc, I can live without that, my Real gripe, is the overall look of the card.

It might just be me, but i find the cover of the ATI HD5 series to be quite sexy, now why not make your own cover that add some bulk to a powerful card so it does not look like a dinky toy. Cards with just the waterblock, look thin and like they are missing something. It just doesn't look right.
The cover does not need to be functional, just improve the looks a bit.

Now i have to try make my own waterblock, that fits inside the cover of my current card, Why do i need to do this? why cant someone create it with a cover????

Im just griping and letting out my frustration....

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Weirdest rant I've ever heard. One of the biggest advantages (non-temp related) of GPU water blocks is their relatively small foot-print, which leads to more room for upgrade expansion. And if it really bothers you, why not get a plexi block and put some LEDs in it?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Or you could just mod the stock cooler. Rip the guts out of the cooler, cut a space for the tube inlet and stick the plastic cover back on the card. Sorted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I actually hated the look of the circuit board being face up also when I did my gpu's. I opted to purchase backplates from EK and they make the entire setup look great.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemTech View Post
If i have a 5870 or a 5890 or even say a 480, why would i want that model on the top of the waterblock, as far as i know, not many people stick their heads into the case to see under the card and what model is printed on the waterblock. WHY??? Why not, make a really good looking engraving on the side of the block that faces your window.
Like a 1cm thick engraging is that noticable either....

Quote:

It might just be me, but i find the cover of the ATI HD5 series to be quite sexy, now why not make your own cover that add some bulk to a powerful card so it does not look like a dinky toy. Cards with just the waterblock, look thin and like they are missing something. It just doesn't look right.
The cover does not need to be functional, just improve the looks a bit.
Why get a single slot waterblock and make it dual slots?

Quote:

Now i have to try make my own waterblock, that fits inside the cover of my current card, Why do i need to do this? why cant someone create it with a cover????
Why get a single slot waterblock and make it dual slots?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Your going to make your own water block for a 5870??

This i have to see,is it a reference or non-reference btw?

I understand what you mean by loosing the shape of the cards cooler,but you soon forget about that after you realise the performance you have just gained.

With regards to not seeing the engraving on the water block,not always the case!
I purposely searched for a coolermaster stacker 832 (old case now)as i heard you could flip the entire mobo tray to btx,so now i can see the coolant flowing round under the plexi on my cards blocks,looks good with some leds thown in there.

Not a very clear shot and this was just a pic when building up so ignore the plastic clips as they were temp.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Swiftech MCW80 + unisink. Looks better and you don't need to drop 100+ dollars on a new FC block when you upgrade.

·
Registered
925 Posts
While I do agree slightly with this rank, I think its funny how fancy some manufacturers make their covers, then we never see them. But then, I would not try and make a cooler myself, thinking that I could do better than a pro manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The Lain-Li 1200B v2 case has the mobo flipped with a left side door. Could always go that route if you HAVE to see your GPU block.

Not a lot of room in that case for Rad's unless you mod the top with like a Koolance shroud, but hey, you see your blocks.

Or you could go for a desktop case that keeps your cards vertical.

Switching crazy rants... I like pie.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
This is what I had in mind.

If you like the stock cover then you can mod it to hide the water block. Attached is a very quick sketch-up render. I know it's not spot on, the water block is for a GTX 260 for a start, but its just an idea.

Edit: I like pie too. Both sweet and savoury. Mmmmmm, pie.
LL

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

This is what I had in mind.

If you like the stock cover then you can mod it to hide the water block. Attached is a very quick sketch-up render. I know it's not spot on, the water block is for a GTX 260 for a start, but its just an idea.

Edit: I like pie too. Both sweet and savoury. Mmmmmm, pie.

That's clever, I like that. cut out the shell just to add to the sexy. I think your on to something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts