Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i just got interested into overclockin since i bought my new amd64 3000+ and Asus K8v SE deluxe no more then 2 weeks ago. i had ****ty ass comps in the past that were handed down to me and u couldnt overclock them. but anyways... i read the tut post on oc'in and i know the amd64's u have to change the fsb because of the locked clock speed of the cpu... ive tryed to change some of the speeds as this 1 guy did that got his amd64 3000+ upto 2500mhz stable. he used a ABIT mobo tho...so i mean i dont expect the same results but somewhere in that region. my problem is whenever i change any of the clock settings that after i save and exit the bois and restart my moniter wont come on...and i read the other post about this motherboard and the kid was havin the same problems and ive tryed many of speeds for the fsb and none were successful...its runnin @ 200mhz right now and if try 245 and 230, and i dont understnad what im doin wrong... also when i tryed to change this i also changed my voltage to cpu 1.75 ht 1.3 ddr 2.8 nd 1.6 and sb 2.5. ive tryed it wit the stock settings and wit the altered voltage neither of them worked. ive also tryed to oc my memory (PQI pc3200 400mhz) i tryed to oc my mem when i oc'ed everything else. i havent tryed just oc'in my memory only. when i oc'ed my memory i had it @ cas 2, trcd 2, trp 2, tras 6. if any1 can help me i would much appreciate it. so i can start my overclockin experience off right.

·
Registered
645 Posts
loosen ram timings to something like 3-4-4-8 then OC, after u reach your highest stable FSB tighten the timings. The lower timings will allow you to overclock higher but will decrease your RAM bandwith.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aiight ill give that a try right after i get done downloadin nfsu2 ill try it out and let u know how it went...also is everything else ok...ie: voltage

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for the welcome...um i understand that psu's have a big part in oc'in but its a 350watt psu i took out of a friends p4 that he didnt need any more and i dont have much on it. i have the mobo ram (1 pc3200 512mb) gfx card (pci) 2 hd's (1 30gb, and 1 40gb) and a cd burner and a cd player. also 2 80mm @ 4500rpm. if its a problem then i can take out the cd player...i dont ever use it anyways ;x

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The Problem is that board doesn't have an AGP/PCI lock and when you increase the FSB too far you overclock the AGP and PCI buses so far that they stop working, and the reason the monitor won't come on is probably because the AGP is overclocked so far the video card just won't run. You'll be lucky if you get much over 215FSB with that board
Also, from the sounds of those timings and type of memory, it sounds like you have TCCD memory chips, and they don't overclock real well unless you really loosen the timings up, you should probably start off with CAS2.5-3-3-10.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i read that it didnt have a agi/pci lock on it... thats probably what my problem is i forgot about it...u know any solutions to that so i can get my comp runnin around 2.2-2.3ghz or so?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Unfortunately your best bet is a new motherboard, like I said, the best you can hope for is about 215-220FSB, and that might be pushing it. You could try increasing the AGP voltage to 1.6 if you have the option, that might help the system boot at higher bus frequencies

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can change any voltage wit this mother board...and i would hate to buy a new 1, i just got this mobo+cpu it would suck to have to have to resell it so soon...ill see what i can get outta this first and if im not satisfied ill see what my options r

·
Overclockiit
3,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH

i can change any voltage wit this mother board...and i would hate to buy a new 1, i just got this mobo+cpu it would suck to have to have to resell it so soon...ill see what i can get outta this first and if im not satisfied ill see what my options r

Sup kush
Yiffy is right as always
i had to buy a new M/B myself and ended up rebuilding my system, The agp/pci lock is a bummer not being able to lock it in the bios but anyhow you can get a nice M/B cheap here www.newegg.com

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aiight well i guess im just gonna have to deal wit a slightly oc'ed comp for alil while cause i dont have the money to buy anything else...as it is now i owe my parents 75$ and im a poor bastard and workin @ bk for 5.75/hour dont really get money to fast... so im just gonna oc it alil bit and just buy a new gfx card and ill see if im satisfied for now...i mean it runs great now i just know it has alot of potential that isnt bein used...but what mobo do u suggest me gettin if i get the money to get a new 1...im willin to pay about 150-200

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

aiight well i guess im just gonna have to deal wit a slightly oc'ed comp for alil while cause i dont have the money to buy anything else...as it is now i owe my parents 75$ and im a poor bastard and workin @ bk for 5.75/hour dont really get money to fast... so im just gonna oc it alil bit and just buy a new gfx card and ill see if im satisfied for now...i mean it runs great now i just know it has alot of potential that isnt bein used...but what mobo do u suggest me gettin if i get the money to get a new 1...im willin to pay about 150-200

DFI!!! It'll let you squeeze the most out your CPU/RAM.... Once you get a new mobo, you might come to the conclusion that you need new ram...
it never ends does it?

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

DFI!!! It'll let you squeeze the most out your CPU/RAM.... Once you get a new mobo, you might come to the conclusion that you need new ram...
it never ends does it?

yea my ram sucks i know...but hey i built a decent comp for $390 (amd64 3000+, asus k8v se deluxe, speeze 80mm heatsink/fan and pqi pc3200 512mb ram)...what more can u ask for, for that price

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
i have a A64 3000+ aswell my mobo didnt let me change my memory timeings to anything other than auto so i just left it

i didnt even increase my voltage to my CPU and i am able to oc mine to 2.4 stable and cool temps

what you should do is slowly start to increase you FBS in intervals of ten

and see how far you can go tilll your moniter wont turn on

when it is at the furthest run prime 95 and if it has no errors for about 4 hrs its good

remember small steps....

-rep if helped

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea ima try to oc again but i gotta wait for need for speed underground 2 to finish downloadin...so i got about 2 hours left before i can actually try anything

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |2A|N

Sup kush
Yiffy is right as always
i had to buy a new M/B myself and ended up rebuilding my system, The agp/pci lock is a bummer not being able to lock it in the bios but anyhow you can get a nice M/B cheap here www.newegg.com

Good to see you finally came back Rain

Quote:

I, too recommend the DFI LANParty UT nf3-250Gb as the best Athlon 64 overclocking platform money can buy, but there are a lot of advanced options (some that even I don't know fully about) so don't try to change too many things at once, but the good part is that you can continue to use that board as your knowledge grows

1 - 16 of 16 Posts