Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start off by saying that this is in no way directed towards apple or macs in general. This is just a tale of a general "dummy" that was just too funny not to tell. I in NO WAY want anyone bashing apple because I have seen plenty of Best Buy "geek squad" reps act just as dumb about windows based computers.

So my graphic designer friend is in the market for a new computer and she knows that I build them so she wanted me to come along to get facts instead of hype. ALOT of graphic designers use apples so that is where we went first. So as soon as we walk in we are greeted and asked if we could be helped. She tells the guy that she is torn between a windows based machine and a mac. Immediately he said "oh you dont want a PC" and listed a few legit reasons like viruses and build quality and such. However she mentioned she wasnt sure if she could afford a mac and his outragious response was a "PC" laptop lasts around a year or two where an apple laptop last TWELVE YEARS? My jaw dropped. I said ok, your telling me that you think this laptop will last 12 years? "Have you seen a 12 year old Mac"? I giggled and let him continue. He said that the parts where custom made to be more powerful and outlast PC's. I had to stop him and say "well it looks to me like its just got a standard intel core 2 duo, ddr3 RAM, and an Nvidia 9400m, whats special about these parts?" He just said "apple just makes it different". Ok fair enough. There were other comments that boggled my mind like running windows on this MAC ran TWICE as fast as running windows on a PC with same specs (even though he said it was custom apple parts) and that Linux was ILLEGAL. Ok the linux thing was funny because I asked him if it is still considered a PC if its running linux and his response was "Linux is illegal". We ended up leaving without a shiny new laptop but a HUGE grin on my face. I just had to tell the storry and it makes me wonder how people get hired with this kind of thinking. Like I said, Im not against macs and this is not an anti-mac post but more of an anti-idiot post. Its just sad that people fall for this whether its PC fans or mac fans.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The US government wants Linux to be illegal, but thats an entire different point. I love doing stuff like this to the apple store people, so much fun.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:
The US government wants Linux to be illegal, but thats an entire different point. I love doing stuff like this to the apple store people, so much fun.
you are too right about that....its also fun to listen to what sales people are saying to other n00b customers and correct them on the spot right in front of the customer, but only as long as they are spewing bull****.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by s0nniez View Post
whoa! macs last 12 years? ima go get one now
I already had one and its 13 years old

The OP don't know nuffin

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hate when these guys are trying to sell you a computer without even knowing about the computer parts. They are just there to get commission and nothing more. They are really annoying. At best buy too and most tech stores. This doesn't only happen with computers

·
Registered
210 Posts
my mac has 4 years so that means, i have 2/3 life left in to it HAHAHA

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by isstern35 View Post
my mac has 4 years so that means, i have 2/3 life left in to it HAHAHA
Ya. If I hadnt sold my powerbook it would be 7 years old now and Im sure it would be running just fine. I mean any laptop will last a long time if you take care of it. Ive already had my XPS 1530 for 3 years and its still like brand new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chr0n1c View Post
Great story

Seems like all the retail jobs that deal with computers are being sucked up by pizza-faced frat boys that don't know SATA from SCSI.
VERY true. I couldnt get a job at best buy while I was in school. Haha funny how things are.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I use an 11 year old Mac as a foot rest. Even if it worked, it would be so slow it wouldn't be worth using.
Thirteen years? not really.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
I still have a working Lisa. So yeah, his point is correct. The parts are custom designed except for the major components, and Linux is trying to be considered illegal by the US government. He was correct. Mostly. He probably didn't come about it the right way.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

VERY true. I couldnt get a job at best buy while I was in school. Haha funny how things are.

dude its not like you would want to work there anyway. atleast 90% of the workers there are absolutely stupid soooo......i dont know if you would want to be part of that group even if you were in the 10% who had a brain...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

I still have a working Lisa. So yeah, his point is correct. The parts are custom designed except for the major components, and Linux is trying to be considered illegal by the US government. He was correct. Mostly. He probably didn't come about it the right way.

He wasn't mostly right in the least. Your old Lisa might still be working but I'm sure there are plenty of old pieces of crap that still run, PC or Mac.
The parts aren't any different than PC parts or at least there's nothing special about them besides they run in OSX... or maybe selling video cards and RAM for way more than they're worth makes it special.
Telling customers that Linux is illegal is giving out false information as a scare tactic, trying to scare people into using a Mac. It was all BS and you as well as everyone else in here knows it.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Seeing as Mac OS/X was based off of Unix, shouldn't Mac OS/X be illegal too?

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sintricate
View Post

He wasn't mostly right in the least. Your old Lisa might still be working but I'm sure there are plenty of old pieces of crap that still run, PC or Mac.
The parts aren't any different than PC parts or at least there's nothing special about them besides they run in OSX... or maybe selling video cards and RAM for way more than they're worth makes it special.
Telling customers that Linux is illegal is giving out false information as a scare tactic, trying to scare people into using a Mac. It was all BS and you as well as everyone else in here knows it.

Sir, the parts are custom apple designs. I specifically stated that everything besides ther main components liek the CPU, Videocard, are not manufactured by apple. The RAM is manufactured by Apple, the Logic Board, and the smaller PCB's are apple designs. Linux is "trying" to be somewhat outlawed by the software groups taht represent the software industry, due to it undercutting it's profit margins. Sir, I never said anything that wasn't true. Granted, their are PC's and macs equally alike that last 12 years, but my Lisa is over 12 years and still working, and I never said that he was completely right in every way, nor did anything is say prove false.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

Seeing as Mac OS/X was based off of Unix, shouldn't Mac OS/X be illegal too?

at the price they charge for it, yes.

Quote:

Sir, the parts are custom apple designs. I specifically stated that everything besides ther main components liek the CPU, Videocard, are not manufactured by apple. The RAM is manufactured by Apple, the Logic Board, and the smaller PCB's are apple designs. Linux is "trying" to be somewhat outlawed by the software groups taht represent the software industry, due to it undercutting it's profit margins. Sir, I never said anything that wasn't true. Granted, their are PC's and macs equally alike that last 12 years, but my Lisa is over 12 years and still working, and I never said that he was completely right in every way, nor did anything is say prove false.

maybe they make some of their own parts, but the parts they do make are not performance enhancing and I dont know why apple just cant buy cheap boards from other companies and charge less instead of making thei own crap and charging insane amounts of money for it. A similar mobo and RAM would be almost EXACTLY the same as the apple crap!

1 - 20 of 203 Posts