Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying a HUGE true copper I found that it would not fit with my RAM in slots 1 and 2 on my Mobo so I moved them to the 3rd and 4th slots, after booting up I found my system was unstable at the stock clocks (P95 failed under a minute) thinking I had buggered something up I checked the processor and mobo for thermal paste in case I had shorted anything and reseated everything... still no luck, so I put my old cooler on with the RAM in slots 1 and 2 and it is now P95 stable for over 12hrs.

I have tried all the usual resetting of the cmos, trying different RAM and updating the bios but it always has the same result, so... any ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
A silly question, but did you attach the stock fan to the heatsync or were you so anticipated to put the heatsync on that you forgot?

Edit: nice rig, btw

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by forgot_to_order_a_quad
View Post

A silly question, but did you attach the stock fan to the heatsync or were you so anticipated to put the heatsync on that you forgot?

Edit: nice rig, btw

I had a Antec tri cool attached to the TRUE copper and temps under load reached 19C at stock clocks, but my processor under load only lasted less than a minute, also the bios is at default settings for everything which works fine until I move the ram.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyra
View Post

I had a Antec tri cool attached to the TRUE copper and temps under load reached 19C at stock clocks, but my processor under load only lasted less than a minute, also the bios is at default settings for everything which works fine until I move the ram.

I dont think your mobo likes you moving your ram. Try turning the heatsync around so that it does not interfere with the RAM placement.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by forgot_to_order_a_quad
View Post

I dont think your mobo likes you moving your ram. Try turning the heatsync around so that it does not interfere with the RAM placement.

No can do, the TRUE mounting plates only let you mount it so it draws air from the bottom to the top on an AM2+ Mobo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I see.

There is very limited options that will work then.

You might be forced to do water cooling instead.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was waiting for someone else to give you this response, but since no one else will, I will give it to you.

True Copper has a bad record for being very unreliable. The unreliability is usually generated from the sort of thermal paste and how good your application of the heat sync to the processor.

You need top quality thermal paste and a good application to pull off major temperature differences.

I use OCZ Freeze, its fantastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts