Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is right place but anyways this is my result:

Yet, the bill says we are supposed to get 20 down 6 up. I know we don't always get that but I never get above what I just showed you.

What is wrong?

·
Registered
306 Posts
what they tell you is the max you will under the best situation. IE, no one else is using the net at the same time. I have seen a lot worst, my connection is crap and I lose the conection to the dns server for our isp all the time and will be with out a connection for hours at a time. Do the test around 6pm and 7pm when everyone else in your area is on the net. you will see a drastic drop in performance.

·
OG
1,611 Posts
Comcast is notorious for not giving their customers anywhere near the advertised speed. I own a telecommunications company and it happens all the time, the best thing to do is to give them a call and let them know your situation, and do not take no for an answer. Keep demanding to get at least something close to the advertised speed (within a few mbps within the speed advertised).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Most of it is from something called bandwidth or Traffic shaping What it does is you will get small boosts and spurts of speed to help downloads start ect ect.. then it will dumb the connection back down. But there is a lot that goes into it distance from server, server capacity, the load on your network node ect ect..

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is same result I got before the upgrade a few months ago to. I have tried testing at all different times. I always get this.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got a new modem and this was the results.

When the ISP first came out we got 30 down 3up but I am still happy after many tests after this is the lowest I have seen.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
is your gigabit adapter's driver up to date?
I know comcast is notorious for skewing actual net bandwidth to the premises.

and please don't hate my cablevision.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
It's not a driver issue. When you signed the contract with the ISP, you probably did not pay much attention to the part where they say that the service includes speeds up to x Mb/s download and y Mb/s upload.

They never promised 20 Mb/s download and 6 Mb/s upload, they said you could theoretically attain those speeds if your proximity to their infrastructure is ideal and there is no one else on the line.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichtwork View Post
what they tell you is the max you will under the best situation. IE, no one else is using the net at the same time. I have seen a lot worst, my connection is crap and I lose the conection to the dns server for our isp all the time and will be with out a connection for hours at a time. Do the test around 6pm and 7pm when everyone else in your area is on the net. you will see a drastic drop in performance.
Why don't you just use public DNS servers then? Like Google's...

8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8

Always on and very responsive

And I've got Comcast, I surprisingly do get 20Mb/s down like they advertise, but then again I'm in the suburbs so good conditions I guess...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nik12937 View Post
Why don't you just use public DNS servers then? Like Google's...

8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8

Always on and very responsive

And I've got Comcast, I surprisingly do get 20Mb/s down like they advertise, but then again I'm in the suburbs so good conditions I guess...
How do I know what is for every website? I don't get it completely.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
You do not need to know DNS servers for every website. A DNS server's job is to keep an up-to-date record of which FQDNs map to which IP addresses.

You need to set the DNS servers in your NIC's IPv4 settings. Set 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary. This tells your NIC to hit 8.8.8.8 first if it needs to resolve a FQDN to an IP. In the extremely unlikely event that 8.8.8.8 cannot resolve the domain name, your NIC will then send it's request to 8.8.4.4.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Using a different DNS won't help with download speeds really.

Try some other things such as downloading Service Pack 3 from Microsoft (that will show you the real download speed). Just make sure to remember that that download speed will be in Bytes, not bits that network speeds are rated for.

Are you sure you are rated for 30mbit, and not 30mbit with power boost? In my area we are getting the 8mbit plan, with 16mbit power boost (first 30 seconds of a download are 16mbit and it drops off to 8mbit after that).

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
(first 30 seconds of a download are 16mbit and it drops off to 8mbit after that).
First 10 MB of a file per connection*
5MB if it's an upload.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA View Post
They never promised 20 Mb/s download and 6 Mb/s upload, they said you could theoretically attain those speeds if your proximity to their infrastructure is ideal and there is no one else on the line.
... and Jupiter is in the seventh house...

Ads for this stuff are all misleading. Sure, they advertise the maximum, and really, if I was getting 18 instead of 20 because of distance or something, I'd be fine with that. But to get like 6, or less - they should be chopping your bill, or at least giving you a much more generous cap and no traffic shaping.

In my book, traffic shaping is a cop out for "we are too cheap to invest in real infrastructure".

Up here, one of the ISPs had a big ad campaign that was filled with lies. They kept showing people watching movies on their Internet. That is fine, so long as the cap isn't a crummy 2 GB/month - which is like half a movie. It's also fine if they don't cap all of the ports you need to actually download the movie, and if they don't traffic shape your movie download into stilted, ersatz viewing that stutters every second and a half.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts