Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went ahead and cut a hole in the permanent case side panel for the cpu tunnel ram tube (I had been using a card board temporary panel). I decided that mod was so effective in cooling the cpu that I'd keep it. Yesterday, I cout two holes in the top of the case for 80mm fans. They are placed in an empty space between the PS and the floppy. Knocked about 3 degrees Celcius from the case temp. My next cooling mod will be to replace the 80mm fan in the front of the case with a 120mm fan. Right now I have three 80mm fans (2 on top, 1 in back) exhausting and only one 80mm fan pushining so I'm guessing if I give more push in the front I will get a stronger through put.

See attachment for pic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
looking good very clean, nice job. u said ur case temp went down how bout the cpu?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...147-011&DEPA=1

They make cases with that mod. Thats my case above ^.

But this case has a weird plastic shell on the top so you can carry it by this top handle thingy, but if i can get it up ill put a ninja top exhaust. This case has really great air flow and it was only 40 bucks.

I took out the extra harddrive rack on the bottom of the case, and the exhaust fan and put the thermal take blower on the back. Next stop...si-97 with cool blue thermal take fan w/controller.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipmonk010

looking good very clean, nice job. u said ur case temp went down how bout the cpu?

Didn't have much effect on cpu temp, maybe 1 degree or less. I didn't expect it to because the cpu fan is already isolated from the air inside the case, being supplied by the tube vented to the outside air. In othre words, all the air being pushed down on the heatsink by the fan is outside the case air. I guess there is some benefit to the cpu temp in this scenario because it would make the socket and mb below it a little cooler.

No, I haven't really seriously considerec putting a helper fan in the other end of the tube for two reasons: 1. The extra noise, 2. I can't see how it would help much in such a short, closed and confined space. I mean we are only talking about six inches of tube. Have you ever tried stacking two fans together? Doesn't make any more air, just more noise.

The stock cpu was 2083 mhz. I have it overclocked to 2200. I can go to 2300 but only with core votages I'm not comfortable with. I would have to jump from my current 1.725 volts to 1.85. At 2200 and 1.725 I'm idling at 40 degrees C. with my volcano 12 fan spinning at a super quiet <2900 rpm. I'm satisfied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts