Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks for looking and I appreciate all the help I can get and information that is coming.

I bought an OPEN BOX ASUS 5850 not too long ago, and like many others have said; sometimes the Open Box Products, such as video cards don't come with anything else but the video card.

So, I got mines in the mail and found out that it was in a White Box packed inside another Box to keep it safe and tighty.

So I installed it, and looked upon the default clocks;

- Newegg Specifies that this Card EAH5850 runs at 725/1000 (Core/Memory)
- My Defaults are 850/1200 (Core/Memory)

QUESTION: Did I get something else in the mail? Or at least something better of a 58XX series card?

Maybe I have a new driver I didn't know about? I don't know.

For those who are wondering, I did google everything I could think of. I couldn't find anything, maybe I missed something, I don't know. At least I can have a second, third, fourth and so on opinion.

Now to my Overclock section of this card. Many reviews state that they OC'd to 850/1200 (Core/Memory). I would think this is a general area for OC'ing because the Stock 5870 are at these specific clocks.

Since mines are already at these clocks by default, I thought, why not go a little higher? So I followed the guide by CoffeeJunkey (Good Guide for New OC'ers), and went as far as:

900/1300 @ 1.087v (Core/Memory/Voltage)

At the time 1.087 was default Voltage. I figured, how far can I go on 1.087v? I went as far as 925/1300 (Core/Memory), Ran a bench test of 5 minutes instead of 30s~1m like CoffeeJunky stated just to further proof my clocks.

Note Look at GPU-Z instead of MSI After Burner for Fan Speeds.

I raised the Voltage to 1.1v, I found out the FPS were jumping at weird Lengths.

@ 1.087v: With an Average of 241 FPS on GPU Tool, the range would pop from 428 to 250 FPS.

@ 1.1v: With an Average of 244 FPS on GPU Tool, the range would pop from 237 to 250 FPS.

Now I'm about to hit the 15-30 min benchmark on this card. My question is;

QUESTION: Should I be worried right now from the looks of my temps and Voltage?

Ill be sure to Post my Vantage Score soon after I get a good Bench Test on this card.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Looks like whoever had it first flashed the bios to a 5870.

And as for your overclocking, I would be safe going up to 1.35v but anything after that the temps get too uneasy for me.

Happy overclocking.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
My ASUS 5850 looks exactly like yours in GPU-Z because I flashed it with the ASUS 5870 bios. So it looks like whoever had your card before did the same and flashed it to the 5870 bios.

The 5870 bios sets your GPU vcore to 1.165v, which is up from the 5850's default vcore of 1.087v.

I bet if you run GPU-Z without tweaking any settings in Afterburner, and put a load on the card, you will get a reading of 1.165v vcore of the GPU (scroll to the bottom of the sensor tab of GPU-Z).

edit: And I woiuldn't worry about your temps, they look the same as mine, which is at about a max of 78C with 30% fan speed.

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Physical specs (ROPs, shaders) seem to match that of a 5850, but the clocks are different. I agree with the 5870 BIOS theory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that was something I didn't think of. Looks like I got a free upgrade from someone.

+ Rep for Jshay for the quick response, and a Pat on the Back for Eric since god knows where he put your +Rep button.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Indeed, someone already flashed your card to the 5870 BIOS. As far as overclocking goes, make sure temps are withing range and see how far you can get. I believe with these cards, once you go beyond the limit, you don't face instability but rather a decrease in performance.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I got a OB Asus 5850 too, had the same thing happen to me when I set it to "Default Settings"... Just monitor your temps and you should be fine... I set my fan manually to 60%... I know it is loud, but that is what headsets are for

I am pleased as punch with my card... enjoy yours as well...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had lock ups before just trying to push a steady 1ghz, good thing is that these cards freeze up then automatically runs itself back up without no load whatsoever giving you a safe time response to go back a few steps in your overclock.

@Eric

Yea you were right, it did go up to 1.165v. I have another question.

QUESTION: Since I know that the Volts will push at 1.165v, does it matter what settings I put on the Voltage Meter for MSI After Burner? Or will I get a specific reading if I go higher than 1.165v?

Example: I Put 1.1v on MSI After Burner but GPU-Z is reading 1.165v. It seems whatever I put in the Voltage meter for MSI after Burner the 1.165v will not change in GPU-Z. Will it still be 1.165v if I go higher on the Voltage meter for MSI After Burner (X>1.165)

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I've had lock ups before just trying to push a steady 1ghz, good thing is that these cards freeze up then automatically runs itself back up without no load whatsoever giving you a safe time response to go back a few steps in your overclock.

@Eric

Yea you were right, it did go up to 1.165v. I have another question.

QUESTION: Since I know that the Volts will push at 1.165v, does it matter what settings I put on the Voltage Meter for MSI After Burner? Or will I get a specific reading if I go higher than 1.165v?

Example: I Put 1.1v on MSI After Burner but GPU-Z is reading 1.165v. It seems whatever I put in the Voltage meter for MSI after Burner the 1.165v will not change in GPU-Z. Will it still be 1.165v if I go higher on the Voltage meter for MSI After Burner (X>1.165)
I believe you are asking if the voltage adjustment in MSI AB is exact or added to the default voltage of the card. The answer is it's an exact voltage; what you set MSI AB to is what you will give the card (gpu core specifically). The 5k series cards have a 2D voltage and 3D voltage and your card seems to have been flashed to a 3D voltage of 1.165 (which is spec for 5870s). If I'm not mistaken, MSI AB will only increase voltage over the stock 3D voltage. So setting the voltage to 1.1v won't work but setting it to anything higher than 1.165 voltage will.

btw: Nice find on the OB. I've had a few OBs and so far have had good luck with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts