Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an Opteron 148 for Christmas to replace my dead Mobile 3700+ (rest in peace...). Stepping is CACJE 0546APAW, never heard of it. But after testing, it appears it's certainly no dud.
Just passed OCCT's thirty minute test at 2.7GHz on stock voltage (1.4 volts) and on my little dinky Cooler Master heatsink... I have high hopes for this chip.
Could it be? I actually got lucky for once...

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
I hope you have better luck with this one Yiffy, it sounds like you could make 3.0 with 1.6v. Just keep us up to date.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Cool congrats. I'm likin' the new system. Do you have all the parts now? You might wan't to go with 2 gigs of RAM with the way games are sucking it up nowadays, though.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pvt. Pritchard

Cool congrats. I'm likin' the new system. Do you have all the parts now? You might wan't to go with 2 gigs of RAM with the way games are sucking it up nowadays, though.

Yeah, I'm gettin another gig (for 2GB, but I also need dual channel
) within the next couple weeks. Testing 2750MHz (250x11) right now, still stock voltage. I'll put up a screenie if it passes.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

Where did you get this cpu?

Newegg.

Well, 2750MHz OCCT stable!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
1337 CPU you got there Yiffy.

·
Professional Lurker
74 Posts
This SO gives me high hopes for the system I'm building next week.
(Opteron 170, DFI Lanparty SLI-DR)

·
15 Year Club
2,322 Posts
That beats my 144, 2.7 @ 1.5v. I got it to 2.83 bootable, but I got errors everywhere. Cmon Yiffy, you have aftermarket cooling, get it to 3GHz.

What happened to the newark?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat

That beats my 144, 2.7 @ 1.5v. I got it to 2.83 bootable, but I got errors everywhere. Cmon Yiffy, you have aftermarket cooling, get it to 3GHz.

What happened to the newark?

Aftermark cooling, yes, but it's really nothing more than the stock heatsink with a copper core and a slightly more powerful fan...
I'm pushing 50C loads as is, so I don't think I'm gonna touch the voltage... might dig out my XP-120 and see what it can do then.

The Newark suddenly and unexplainable passed away a couple weeks... I'm still not sure what happened to it, just up and died on me one day... oh well, needed a reason to go S939, and I'm glad I did.
Just tried 2915MHz (265x11) and it locked the system up, so I think 2.8GHz is about as far as it's gonna go on stock voltage (testing 2860MHz right now though).

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Yiffy, congrats dude, look like you got a great chip! That thing is pulling some great clocks fo far so power to ya

It will probably do better if you put a good heatsink on there, and be a great phase chip when u finally get two cold done

GL getting it to 3!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, 2860MHz also failed OCCT's test (keep in mind, this is still stock voltage
), so I'm back down to 2.8GHz. Running 280x10 with the RAM on a 333MHz divider, so it's running 433MHz with 2.5-3-3-6 timings. Gonna leave it here for a while, play some games, Prime overnight, then I might slap my XP-120 on it tomorrow and see if I can't snatch 3.0

·
Registered
183 Posts
hey yiffy, just a question and it mite sound stupid, but what socket is your opty? i'm contemplating getting one just the only ones i can find are socket 940 and 940 boards cost so much.

Great overclock by the way!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Mongoose

hey yiffy, just a question and it mite sound stupid, but what socket is your opty? i'm contemplating getting one just the only ones i can find are socket 940 and 940 boards cost so much.

Great overclock by the way!

It's Socket 939. Newegg and Monarch, and a lot of other retailers carry them.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, 2.8GHz is officially stable (by my methods at least) on stock voltage!
Really excited to get some better cooling on this thing and see what it can do, even though I told myself I wasn't going to spend any more money on heatsinks and such and save for the phase change project... this thing will probably rock under phase too!
Either way, 2.8GHz (280x10) RAM on a 333 divider and runing at 466MHz (2.5-3-3-6 2.85v) 11 hours Stress Prime stable (would've gone longer, but I got tired of waiting
).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts