Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my now cpu a couple of days a go it is a Opteron 170 dual core. The stepping is CCBWE 0551UPMW any1 know how good these are suppose to overclock I havent found any info about this stepping.

I've done some ocing atm I'm at 2500Mhz with 1.328Vcore wich is stock for this cpu

My temps are atm Load 28c Idle 20c with my Apoge w/c

here is a pic of both my optys

everything @ stock

some mild overclocking to 2400Mhz

the gfx is @ stock in both 3dmark06

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

Take a look at the chart in POST #2

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/59...tml#post631796
THere is a 170 CCBWE @ 2600 ... so get working on that and post your stable results

2600Mhz with 1.4Vcore
1:1 gonna try 2.7 now. only downside is that my ram maxes out around 260 will have to see if I can get more out of them

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Use a small divider for now to see where the CPU will go

·
Registered
455 Posts
im planning on getting an Opteron 175, an ideas on which steppings are good and, i have one question. if you have 2 cores both at 2.5ghz is that basically 1 core at 5ghz, so can you say you have a 5ghz processor?

btw nice overclock. hope i can get these numbers too.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
no, it performs like a two 2.5GHz single-core. The dual cores aren't utilized by most apps.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
You will have a 2.5GHz core doing one thing, and a 2.5GHz core doing another thing. Until programs become multi-threaded and compleatly utilize dual core technology, that's the way it will work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jeppe-

I got my now cpu a couple of days a go it is a Opteron 170 dual core. The stepping is CCBWE 0551UPMW any1 know how good these are suppose to overclock I havent found any info about this stepping.

I also have an Opteron 170. I don't know what the stepping is though, I was too excited and just put in my MoBo and covered it up with my heatsink as fast as I could and booted up.

I've got mine running at 2700MHz, 1.6V and it's always turned on running BOINC/SETI 24/7 - even when I'm playing games.
48 - 50 degrees celcius - full load 24/7 (air cooling - Thermalright XP-90c)
I'll check out the stepping tomorrow - I have been curious myself as to what stepping I actually have.

I can achieve my 2700MHz two ways - 10 x 270 & 9 x 300.
Both are stable, but 10 x 270 proves to be faster with it's lower memory timings.

·
Registered
455 Posts
umm , im guessing you dont wanna go higher then 1.7V even with phase change

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would personally go no higher than 1.6V (unless you have the money to replace it, should something happen to it). You shouldn't run it at over 50C for everyday use as well (with your W/C you shouldn't have a problem doing this). I can personally hit 2.7GHz on air with 44~45C load (depending on ambient - fluctuates wildly in this room) with no more than 1.475V (and that's game and prime stable (at the same time, WinX64)). As you can see in my specs, I have a CCBWE 0546XPMW (Opteron 170), and you have the same mobo that I do. Yours would appear to be falling in lockstep with two others that I've seen on HardForums - possibly one is yours? It said Prime stable for 7 hrs, 1.4V, and W/C...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taishan

I would personally go no higher than 1.6V (unless you have the money to replace it, should something happen to it). You shouldn't run it at over 50C for everyday use as well (with your W/C you shouldn't have a problem doing this). I can personally hit 2.7GHz on air with 44~45C load (depending on ambient - fluctuates wildly in this room) with no more than 1.475V (and that's game and prime stable (at the same time, WinX64)). As you can see in my specs, I have a CCBWE 0546XPMW (Opteron 170), and you have the same mobo that I do. Yours would appear to be falling in lockstep with two others that I've seen on HardForums - possibly one is yours? It said Prime stable for 7 hrs, 1.4V, and W/C...

nah it's not mine

·
Registered
964 Posts
well i seem to think that nearly all AMD dual cores lock up at about 2700mhz whatever the fsb/multi, i have only ever seen one dual core go higher and he had a 4800+ with ocz phase change but he hit 3000mhz (lucky bugger)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

im planning on getting an Opteron 175,

I would save the money and just do a 170...both will probably overclock to the same speeds. Unless of course you want to run 1:1 with your memory. But being that the max clocks you can expect are 2.7-2.8, the x10 multi on the 170 should be plenty enough for 1:1 clocks if your memory can run 270-280.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts