Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All ,

Yesterday i went and bought 4GB of Ram to the current 4Gb i have on my computer.. the ram was the same as the current - G.Skill Ripjaw 7-7-21 133 MHZ. i plugged in the new set and turn on the computer , after few seconds i noticed a burn smell and a smoke coming out of the MOB
, immediately turned off the computer and let it rest... after couple of min turned it on again- the MOB green light is on and the fans are working but there is nothing on the monitor , in notice the RAM led is blinking all the time . the MOB don't start the POST phase at all
. took apart everything and sent it to the store- they said it will take up to 14 days while on the time they will send it to the official vendor and they will check it.

Now- i ask myself what the hell went wrong? i just plugged it in and that's it! i don't see any signs of burn out on the memory slots .. any suggestions?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that, took out the new one and put only the old one.. didn't work . also try different slots also same results. the weird thing is the MOB turn and the only thing is nothing is begin presented to the screen.. i don't hear anymore the beep saying he can move on

·
ShakinHips
1,902 Posts
I dont know on that board but...When you changed the ram did your motherboard recognize it and put your clock settings back to stock ?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Maybe the RAM was a lower voltage so you short circuited the MoBo.
Happened to me once on an M2r-FVM.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No , the computer was not ruining while i installed the RAM , took out the power cable from the PSU.

No i didn't try to reset the CMOS because there was a burn smell coming from the MOB so i thought it was toast.. right now the MOB is at the store and they told me they need to examine it and see if its working or not and also to check any physical damage on the board preventing them to replace it to a new one.

What they mean when they say physical damage? there are some scratches on the board but its a common thing...

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg1983;14186579

What they mean when they say physical damage? there are some scratches on the board but its a common thing...
I dont have scratches on my board...

Usually what they mean is if there is notable damage that caused the board to fail. This sounds like faulty ram to me, I would also notify the manufacturer of the new ram and RMA that as well while you wait.

No sense in trying to plug the same ram in again..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you , i also think the RAM is the one who produced the burn smell and not the MOB but i wanted to make sure everything is ok.

Let's hope they will call me and say the RAM is the problem not the board.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg1983;14187011
I agree with you , i also think the RAM is the one who produced the burn smell and not the MOB but i wanted to make sure everything is ok.

Let's hope they will call me and say the RAM is the problem not the board.
In general, ASUS has a good RMA policy, so don't worry too much
smile.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts