Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I got two emails from paypal which were receipts for a $37 USD purchase of the game maplestory and a $6 USD guide for the game from another person.

I did not buy either of these items. At first I thought it was just paypal spam emails until I saw that all of my real info was inside the emails. I logged into my paypal and sure enough my balance when from $65 CAD to $17 CAD.

I've filed a claim on both items and changed my password. I also removed my credit card from the account, which I'm going to have to monitor now aswell in case they bought something else somehow.

How the heck does this happen? Nobody would be able to guess my password that easily, I rarely use paypal, I live in canada, and I've never filled out one of those spam emails or anything like that.

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL

This morning I got two emails from paypal which were receipts for a $37 USD purchase of the game maplestory and a $6 USD guide for the game from another person.

I did not buy either of these items. At first I thought it was just paypal spam emails until I saw that all of my real info was inside the emails. I logged into my paypal and sure enough my balance when from $65 CAD to $17 CAD.

I've filed a claim on both items and changed my password. I also removed my credit card from the account, which I'm going to have to monitor now aswell in case they bought something else somehow.

How the heck does this happen? Nobody would be able to guess my password that easily, I rarely use paypal, I live in canada, and I've never filled out one of those spam emails or anything like that.

Could be a KEY LOGGER on your system that you don't know about!!

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Same thing happened to me, but they actually hacked my ebay account, and my paypal account is linked up to it, and then my bank account was linked up to that.

They went crazy buying stuff. It was horrible. Thank fully paypal and ebay handled it very professionally. and with a couple days everything was back to the way it should of been. And paypal got my bank to drop the over draft fees on my bank account. I guess I just got really lucky.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Man that sucks, i use paypal quite regularly and have not had a problem yet.

*walks off to find something wood to touch*

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsLasher

Yeah, backdoor entry. My passwords are nutzo Alpha-Numeric-Capshifted-Symbol muthers...If my account get's hacked, it HAS to be a backdoor entry through my PC.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsLasher

Well I always check my processes, and keyloggers are running processes. I havent logged on from school either...

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Well, I sold a $700 digital item (MMORPG ACCOUNT) to a person VIA paypal, that person then went and told paypal that they didnt purchase this and someone stold there account. Paypal took the money back and they got to keep the account. Sad thing is I know the person was lying and paypal still let them have the money back.

So i'm pretty sure you'll get your money back, but thats wierd how someone knew your password, I would do a full password change on everything.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Why do people do this kind of stuff? They cause so much grief for other people and they eventually get careless, are caught and then go to jail. It's just lame.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Lol thats nothing compare to me.

They jacked $3000 from my paypal. But i got it all back though
. A quick phone call to paypal screaming prophanity and demanded for the supervisor and it solved everything

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL

Well I always check my processes, and keyloggers are running processes. I havent logged on from school either...

Keyloggers are processes but a good keylogger won't show in taskmanager or anywhere else, it will be stealthed. There are many ways that people could have gotten your paypal password, they could have guessed, keylogged, or brute forced your account. The best way to protect your password from guessing or brute forcing is to have numbers, letters, and symbols in your password. Some places even let you use ASCII letters in your password and if you have one then your password will almost be 100% secure unless your geting keylogged.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
There is an old UNIX saying: The highest security risk comes from within. Maybe someone you know jacked it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
well.... I got an email last night from "[email protected]" and said that I had paid $175.00 to some company. freaked me out a bit. I thought my account had been hacked. Then I went to paypal and looked through my transactions and couldnt find the one I had "supposedly" just been charged for. then I went back and looked at the email, and at the bottom of it there was a link to "report unauthorized payments" I didnt click on it but hovered over it to see the URL......bingo.....goes to some really bizarre site....

spam mail.

watch out.

Ps. its really easy to attach a "from" address to an email so you think it came from a server that it really didnt.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC

There is an old UNIX saying: The highest security risk comes from within. Maybe someone you know jacked it.

Know anyone who loves bad graphic, browser based games and buys guides because they are bad at them?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

Know anyone who loves bad graphic, browser based games and buys guides because they are bad at them?

Lol, no. Only 1 person couldve guessed my password and I'd bet my life it wasnt him.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I don't think they can brute force the password thru paypal's login site.

I think your comp. was hacked somehow. Keylogger, trojan etc... I was into this stuff before. Don't trust your firewall and antivirus too much. Change your passwords by using a different comp. and format yours

Edit : You don't use a hotmail address for your paypal account... Do you ?

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke

Well, I sold a $700 digital item (MMORPG ACCOUNT) to a person VIA paypal, that person then went and told paypal that they didnt purchase this and someone stold there account. Paypal took the money back and they got to keep the account. Sad thing is I know the person was lying and paypal still let them have the money back.

yeah, Paypal is smoke and mirrors......not much real protection....unless it's a fluke. LOL

bigval, that sucks, my eBay was hacked once, although that idiot just used it to list a $10,000 painting
I would definatly recomend not leaving money in Paypal, you're better off with it in your sock drawer. At least if they hack it and use your credit card or bank account you can go to the bank and get some real protection and service......

Criminals suck

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Did the emails say where they items were being shipped? Maybe they got stupid and actually have the game and guide sent to their home address.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts