Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal, did the speedtest.net thing last week, was getting 2mb/s when I was paying for 12. Called the cable company (cox) - they came out, did the azspeedtest.net (through their servers) and it showed 15. Guy blamed it on my wireless, so we hooked it up and sure enough it bumped up to about 20.

Here's my problem, I am trying to get back into quake. When I wake up in the morning, my cable hits about 30mb/s on their website, and my pings stable to California servers at about 40ms. After about 5pm, ping and packet loss makes the game unplayable. It jumps from 60-190 non-stop.

I've got the cable running straight from the modem to my computer without the wireless and still getting these results, yet my downloads are still around what's acceptable for them (15mb/s on their server). Is there anything I can do to get that 40 ping all day, or am I pretty much boned that the entire block is home by 5pm and using the same node? Was thinking of upgrading to their 30mb/s service, but not sure if that'll do anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
you're going to have to call them and ***** until they finally upgrade the infrastructure in your neighboorhood/village/area. the same thing happened to me several years ago and they kept doing this and doing that and basically not admitting to the problem until finally it got sent up to the right people and that was it. what you need is data to send to them. call and ask to speak to a 2nd level tech/tier 2 or whatever once you've got the data. get trace routes and comparisons of different times and email it to them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
(most) cable uses a distributed FTTN service which runs fiber to a node which services an area. The more people that are using that node, the slower/worse ping it will have. Granted, just being busy shouldn't make your games unplayable....

If you want a dedicated line for yourself, switch to fiber optics or DSL. depending on where you are at, you might also have a 2nd cable provider that has better service. Look around at reviews at dslreports.com and other websites.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you buy their upgraded service you'll just be adding to your throughput, it won't help you with your delay.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sigh, well i can't get anyone else here...I move 10 miles and suddenly I can't be picked up by the DSL carrier I had....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but even hooked up directly to the internet with the wireless completely shut off it's balls. =\

1 - 7 of 7 Posts