Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have contacted HP and Intel and they wont/can't help. The turbo boost feature doesn't work on my Intel core i7 2630QM processor. So my only other option is to manually speed up the min processor speed. The BIOS is locked and wont allow my to change the frequency. I don't know how to find out my mother board info since its a laptop. I have already tried updating/reinstalling the BIOS, and that didn't do anything. The only option HP gave me was to send my laptop to one of their repair centers. My laptop is a HP ENVY 17 3D. With switchable intel HD graphics and Radon HD 6850M. The clock speed that it is stuck at is 2.00GHZ. The clock speed that it can run to without overclocking is 2.90GHz.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Send it back.

if it is faulty they should sort it out. the specs say it should turbo to 2.9

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
you sure its not working? how did you test?
it will only enable turbo under exact conditions like whether the app is single threaded or not, if the cpu is cool enough, if you have the laptop plugged in, and have the power management in high performance profile.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
You are loading up a game to see if Turbo is enabled right? It's only going to use Turbo if it detects that it needs it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Disable speed step in the bios and set it to high performance.

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins;15267100
Disable speed step in the bios and set it to high performance.
His BIOS is locked by HP
wink.gif

You should of came to us before getting a HP.
Send it back and get them to sort it out, Because turbo core should be working, Or sue their butt back to HP HQ.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alternatively if you're confident and daring enough then you might find an unlocked version of your BIOS at http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/.

This is where I recently downloaded one for my (obviously not your laptop however) M14x (A05) which is no longer limited to options you can change, turbo power limits (MSR lock can be disabled), and has a nice voltage mod to the GT555m GPU enabling better overclocking of that
smile.gif
. Good luck if you go down this route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts