Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's cheap guitar (Squire Fender) died so I'm doing a full Fender Stratocaster build.

The parts:
- Fender Pickguard
- Fender Knobs
- Fender Vintage Noiseless Pick-ups
- Fender Super 5-Way Switch

Pick ups:

Knobs & Switch

On to the build!
Pick-ups mounted

Potentiometer mounted

Switch mounted

Pick-ups soldered

5-Way switch soldered

To-Do List:
Finish Soldering Potentiometers
Install and Solder Output Jack
Install Pickguard Assembly
String Guitar

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Looking good. I am thinking about learning how to play the guitar.

I am more of a Les Paul style fan myself.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Subbed for awesome.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sick dude! Im more of a Gibson sg guy but I still respect a great guitar. im stoked to see the outcome of this!

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys

The guitar will be housed in the old Squire Fender body and neck for now. There's a local shop that makes custom Fender licensed necks and bodies. I'm planning on looking into the neck upgrade with a bridge and tremolo swap as well.

Update time!

Output jack finally came in. One small problem, it didn't come with a 2nd nut so it didn't fit quite right.

Quick trip to the Home Depot for a washer

Installed

Much better!

It's all soldered up! Had to move the 3 ground wires for the pick-ups to the top side of the potentiometer, it was bumping into the body of the guitar when I tried to test fit it.

Here she is. There's a small humming issue, I think it's probably because of a bad solder joint. Gonna try and take care of it tomorrow and hopefully post up some clips of it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaLLeNAn9eL View Post

It's all soldered up! Had to move the 3 ground wires for the pick-ups to the top side of the potentiometer, it was bumping into the body of the guitar when I tried to test fit it.

Here she is. There's a small humming issue, I think it's probably because of a bad solder joint. Gonna try and take care of it tomorrow and hopefully post up some clips of it.

Looks great.
*Internet high five* I know that most people would have just tossed it.

For the slight hum, check the height of all the frets, and try adjusting the pickup heights.

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicFrost View Post
Looks great.
*Internet high five* I know that most people would have just tossed it.

For the slight hum, check the height of all the frets, and try adjusting the pickup heights.

Thanks! And thank you for the tip. I'll give it a shot. This is the first time I've tried anything like this (learned how to solder while doing it) so I'm really in the dark about troubleshooting.

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Played around with the height of the pick-ups and it did help but there was a bit of humming still going on. Read online that it might be caused by the ground wire for the output jack. Re-soldered and it got rid of most of the humming. Gonna poke around a bit some more and maybe swapping out the old tremolo ground wire as well.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Nice work, ditch that Squire neck and Tremelo. A quality Fender neck, tremelo and custom nut will make a world of difference.

As for the humming I know that unless you pick up a specific model that those single coils are pretty noisy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts