Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I smelt the strange smell of burning plastic, turned of my pc and went to tounch my pump only to almost burn my hand. Took it apart and found this:

To make matters worse I hooked up my spare pump and that wouldn't start
So I am back on air cooling till tuesday till the replacement DDC gets here. Been a lot of work over a simple pump, I had to change boards as well as my TRUE doesn't have a 1366 mount so I had to take the le out and put my bloodrage in as it has 775 holes (but thats another thread)

LL
LL

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think it got burnt a little...

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
I would think that a pump amperage monitor would have give some warning this was building up. Some think I am overboard to want this type of monitor, pump temp would also have given some warning. Any idea on how many hours on the pump or are you aware of any type of contaminent suspended in the coolant? In short, why did this happen?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
wow. That sucks. Luckily you caught it before anything catastrophic happened like coolant leaking all over the place. I recently completed v.2 of my first watercooling loop and am not looking toward the day that something eventually fails...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by whe3ls View Post
this is why i like the d5's mines been going to last 4 years now
Not a fan of D5's personally, take up too much space and not enough head.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
That's a blue impeller isn't it? Another guys blue burned out on him a couple of weeks ago, well 2 actually. The blues have only been out a year or two now, I've been wondering how durable they were going to be.

I had 2 of the old orange impeller hi po 18W DDC burn out on me, one after about a year and the other a year and a half or a little longer. One burned the PCB like that one and the other showed no damage at all, other then it wouldn't pump.

The first 10W DDC black impeller I've had none burn out yet.

D4's and D5's I've never had one die yet.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
That's a blue impeller isn't it? Another guys blue burned out on him a couple of weeks ago, well 2 actually. The blues have only been out a year or two now, I've been wondering how durable they were going to be.

I had 2 of the old orange impeller hi po 18W DDC burn out on me, one after about a year and the other a year and a half or a little longer. One burned the PCB like that one and the other showed no damage at all, other then it wouldn't pump.

The first 10W DDC black impeller I've had none burn out yet.

D4's and D5's I've never had one die yet.
Its a purple impeller 18w although my spare pump was a blue impeller 12w pro.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 View Post
Its a purple impeller 18w although my spare pump was a blue impeller 12w pro.
Purple..I guess that's a newer color. MadMax22's pump that died on him was a blue 18W and another guy that posted in the WC'ing club had a blue that burned on him also.

Sux having to change all that up, hopefully your next one will be a lot more durable...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]'D
View Post

thats' god damn unlucky starbuck

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumbhammer
View Post

Aww man, that sucks.

Yea
On the upside a true with 2 deltas and tge 5770 stock cooler are a damside quieter than a GTX360 with 3 Ultra Kazes on it.

3,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck5000
View Post

Yea
On the upside a true with 2 deltas and tge 5770 stock cooler are a damside quieter than a GTX360 with 3 Ultra Kazes on it.

yuck air cooling.

And damn I've just realised I have the same pump, I hope myn doesn't crap itself any time soon

And looking closer at the pics it seems the PCB is wet, is there anyway water could have leaked onto a connection that caused this chain of events

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]'D
View Post

yuck air cooling.

And damn I've just realised I have the same pump, I hope myn doesn't crap itself any time soon

And looking closer at the pics it seems the PCB is wet, is there anyway water could have leaked onto a connection that caused this chain of events

Its possible but it would have to have been a slow and long term leak as about 4 weeks ago the tube came off on one of my connections and dumped about 1.5l of coolant all over the board, gfx etc.... and the pc just kept on chugging away like nothing had happened.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

Purple..I guess that's a newer color. MadMax22's pump that died on him was a blue 18W and another guy that posted in the WC'ing club had a blue that burned on him also.

I've had two blues crash & burn. Neither 1 of them made it more than 30 minutes before kicking the bucket. Patience isn't one of my strong suits, so I switched to 655's and been sailing ever since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck5000
View Post

Its possible but it would have to have been a slow and long term leak as about 4 weeks ago the tube came off on one of my connections and dumped about 1.5l of coolant all over the board, gfx etc.... and the pc just kept on chugging away like nothing had happened.

If you pull apart and examine one of these, it is entirely possible for them to leak internally. Not only that, but when & if it does the bottom portion of the housing acts like a tub for all that water to just collect. You wouldn't neccissarily notice any issue at all until it shorts/burns the board.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
man sorry to hear that. I hope mine dont burn up when I'm away from home on work. wonder how my step-son and wife will react to that.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
I have a thermal pad and heatspreader on my DCC-12v....

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I have a thermal pad and heatspreader on my DCC-12v....
Yeah they are known to run hot hot.

Unlucky matey, you are lucky you have the benching rig to use as well!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts