Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an MCP655 and for my newest build I am stepping up the water cooling loop quite a bit. Here's what will be in the new loop.

D-Tek Fusion V2
EK 780i NB block
2x EK GTX280 full coverage blocks
GTX 480 4x120mm rad
GTX 240 2x120mm rad
EK multioption res 2500 version 2 (295ml)

Do you guys think my MCP655 running at max flow is enough? Should I add a second?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I would definitely add another one for your GPU loop, and have the other for your CPU loop.

As one pump is not going to be able to handle all of that.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar_T
View Post

Use this. http://martin.skinneelabs.com/Martin...Estimator.html

Thanks for the help. Downloaded it and put in all my details - it tells me my estimated flow rate is 1.11GPM, although they don't have exactly all the blocks I'm using. If I add another MCP655, this jumps up to 1.62GPM.

Now I know absolutely NOTHING about GPM so I'm wondering if someone can help me make a decision based on those numbers. One or two pumps?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA
View Post

My MCP655 ran my current loop with another rad in it just fine. Full-coverage GPU blocks are pretty restrictive though....

If you're going to buy another pump why not just have dual loops, one for the CPU/NB and another for the GPUs?

I really don't want to deal with dual reservoirs, that's why. Not only is it a pain, but it involves more tubing and won't look as sharp. Seems like the consensus is add another pump... I think I will do that.

Is it okay to just daisy chain the two pumps to each other in series? Or do I have to spread them apart in the loop? I don't know much about this but my instinct tells me that daisy chaining should be okay.

·
Banned
930 Posts
one pump will be able to handle it, except you'll only get around 1gpm if that.

i had a GTX, 2x MVR-40's, 2x MCW-30's, swifty gpu block (forgot the name), and 2x feser 360's on one MCP-655 B model. it had low flow, but i didn't note a difference in water temps once i added another pump. it just sped up the flow.

if you put two pumps in series, the flow will be about the same, but the head will sky rocket - not exactly double, but you'll get a ton more pressure. if you have to radiators, i like to go like this... res>pump>rad>cpu>nb>back out the case>pump>rad>gpu1>gpu2>and back again.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
And running a single pump at high capacity enhances the risk of pump cavitation IMO so go for a second pump.
It can handle it yes no prob but cavitation sucks.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, it seems pretty unanimous - I will add a second pump. Thanks to all and +rep for everyone since you were all right.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
im really skeptical on whether or not pc pumps cavitate

i mean that takes alot of force to do that

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehighlander123
View Post

im really skeptical on whether or not pc pumps cavitate

i mean that takes alot of force to do that

Whaaaat
I thought cavitation was was a water pump running out of liquid and sucking air? That the water pump was cooled and lubricated by the fluid and without it the pump got hot and damaged

Please, someone clarify this

DCing for the CURE

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait, so do I really need 2 pumps? I don't care about the science I just want to know:

1) If 1 pump will explode/implode/stop working/make other components blow up/give poor performance then I'll add a second pump

2) If 1 pump is fine, but some scientific phenomenon occurs that has no impact on me, then I don't care

thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
You don't really need a second pump. Also you don't have to get a res for your second loop. A tline is just fine.

·
Banned
930 Posts
i highly doubt these pumps will cavitate much. i could be wrong, but i think that happens more in higher volume pumps.

one pump will work, 2 pumps will work better
it's also nice to have two pumps as a safety measure.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Two pumps really are better for safety(such as backup), as well as longevity the strain of using only one pump is reduced.

I have one ddc thats is brand new that I'm not using yet due to the fact that it will be for a chiller which shall have slightly denser liquid, so in my case two pumps is even more important in terms of increasing head and longevity of both pumps.

The reasons for you getting a second pump are numerous, but you can go with one until the time for you to have the second.

Also, it has been mentioned that your line pressure will be much higher as a result of the increase using two pumps.

Consider some very good clamping for securing your loop tubes

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Performance-wise... and by performance i mean temperatures on the CPU and GPU, are two pumps going to make a material difference over 1 pump? That's my main concern.

·
Banned
930 Posts
more than likely, no.

but as i don't have the same components you do, i can't say with absolute certainty. that's just an educated guess on my own experiences.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Is it okay to just daisy chain the two pumps to each other in series? Or do I have to spread them apart in the loop? I don't know much about this but my instinct tells me that daisy chaining should be okay.

I always ran mine one right after the other. I gained a C or two by adding a second pump, thats in a CPU only loop, the more blocks you the more it would help I would think.

Your adding a little more heat dump by adding a second pump to, but as long as you can keep it under a 40-50W pump heat dump you should be alright. Which 2-D5 varios will be well under that.

I liked dual pumps for redundancy, but my jet barb blocks really liked that extra head and flow to.These were the old high head orange impeller 18W DDC.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok then, 1 pump it is, and if I'm unhappy with performance I'll add a second pump.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts