Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, i just got 4 30gb SSD's. Using HDTunePro i run a test on an individual drive, it runs at around 200MB/s, then i put 2 of them together in RAID0 and it is around 150MB/s. Putting all 4 of them together makes it even slower so i started using just 2 for testing. For the stripping size i used 64k, however i also tried 16k and got speeds of 80mbs, and 128k and got speeds of 140mbs.

Im running another raid0 with 2 1TB WD Blacks right now, and their performance has remained the same throughout all the tests with SSD's and without the SSD's.

Any ideas on how to make these things improve their performance in RAID0? Not sure whats going on here...

edit: these are the drives i have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You want to use 128k stripe. Also are you using onboard controller? Im not sure but idk if an onboard raid would be very good for a 4xSSD raid. Although i could be wrong.

• Rep+
Reactions: OpTiMaTeZ

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the onboard controller, which you may be right it could be bottle necking it. But i still didnt think that it would make them slower than the individual drive.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Onboard is fine for Raid 0\\1 (NOT for raid5), but yeah you want 128k stripe size.

You'd be surprised what ill-configured raid can do. And I've seen onboard Raid's do 400+MB\\s, so you're not even close to it's max.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Did you try maybe updating the firmware on them? That could help.

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
hmmm....maybe try updating your motherboard drivers? Did you try installing the windows raid thing? I can't recall the name.

• Rep+

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed, i updated my 790i drivers, and i flashed my bios to the newest version. I am not sure what the windows raid thing is, however i did install the nvidia raid.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Your onboard RAID controller is most likely choking on those four SSD's.

I remember back when I used onboard RAID the ICH9R maxed out with four raptorx150's, and if I added anything more my benchies would drop quite a bit. That, coupled with the fact that you're using an nVidia chipset/controller would, in my opinion, cause your problem. If you want to squeeze max performance out of that array, you'll probably want to invest in a dedicated RAID card.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
hmm... i just upgraded from an EVGA 790i ultra and used 2 ocz vertex drives for the OS and such. Try updating everything to current ... thats all i can think of =\\ but the onboard raid driver i believe will top out at 400mb -500mbs ish read speed

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is there a way i can test this thing out without my current WDBlacks in raid0? They have my OS and i dont want to put an OS on these raid drives until i get them preforming well or i figure out the issue. So, is there like a bootable harddrive benchmark that i can use to test the raid out without my WDBlacks plugged in? Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNytAftr View Post
hmm... i just upgraded from an EVGA 790i ultra and used 2 ocz vertex drives for the OS and such. Try updating everything to current ... thats all i can think of =\\ but the onboard raid driver i believe will top out at 400mb -500mbs ish read speed
i cant even get close to those speeds at the moment...

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Ok first off, unlike what everyone else is saying you DON'T want a 128k stripe. You want a 16k stripe. You should be optimizing the SSDs for IOPs, not throughput. If all you want is throughput you could have gotten that from a couple of HDDs instead, and for a lot less money.

Second, your onboard controller is definitely bottlenecking everything. The nVidia controller is known to do this, even with hard drives. It's so slow that the more calculations it has to do the worse it'll perform.

So, either look into a new motherboard, get a dedicated controller, or return the SSDs and get one big one.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You have 2 drives in Raid0 already on the controller, then you're trying to add another 4 SSD's on the same controller in a separate Raid0? Sounds like far too much bandwidth for it to handle to me. NVRaid isn't exactly the best in the first place.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
Ok first off, unlike what everyone else is saying you DON'T want a 128k stripe. You want a 16k stripe. You should be optimizing the SSDs for IOPs, not throughput. If all you want is throughput you could have gotten that from a couple of HDDs instead, and for a lot less money.

Second, your onboard controller is definitely bottlenecking everything. The nVidia controller is known to do this, even with hard drives. It's so slow that the more calculations it has to do the worse it'll perform.

So, either look into a new motherboard, get a dedicated controller, or return the SSDs and get one big one.
EXACTLY what this man said. The NV onboard controller is JUNK. I had 2x250gb's in raid0 a while back and the speeds weren't horrible...but I only gained like 30mb/s out of the raid config. ICH10R is the good controller IMO for onboard.

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTiMaTeZ View Post
i cant even get close to those speeds at the moment...
ahh >_< there was a few things you can try .. although i cant remeber what it was but i was having problems last year with something similar (low speeds ingeneral ) but maybe check and see if its optimized for ssd .. and i think theres a way to format ssd thats a bit different from HDD .. and it also helps with speed. but some programs used to read SSD speed can sometimes be wrong.. on some review websites one read test is always really scewed *Shrug* *stumped*

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well no matter what i try it seems that these things arent getting any faster and i have been trying every combination i can possibly think of here recently to get them to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on a raid card that wont bottle neck them or a motherboard that will handle them? i spent most of the cash on these guys so no big budget products :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTiMaTeZ
View Post

well no matter what i try it seems that these things arent getting any faster and i have been trying every combination i can possibly think of here recently to get them to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on a raid card that wont bottle neck them or a motherboard that will handle them? i spent most of the cash on these guys so no big budget products :p

Return the 4 vertex drives and pickup one intel 160GB G2 X25m. You'll save a hundred bucks, get better speeds than the non-raid vertex drives will give you, and have no bottlenecks. You'll also be ready to raid0 with another drive when you upgrade your motherboard.

Just an option.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts