Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was trying to upgrade the RAM in my parents PC which uses an ASRock H55M and I inserted new memory, Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3. The PC would not boot. I tried clearing CMOS and everything, but still no luck.

I put the old 2 x 2gb RAM back in and bam, starts absolutely fine. What I notice now is that the old RAM sticks are labelled "GDDR3-1333mhz". In Windows, the 64bit OS says 4GB installed (3.55gb available)

What the hell is GDDR3, why is it on a RAM stick and is it the same as DDR3?

This is the RAM:

This is what the BIOS reads:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Quote:
GDDR or graphics double data rate memory refers to memory specifically designed for use on graphics cards. GDDR is distinct from the more widely known DDR SDRAM types such as DDR3, although they share some technologies - including double data rate design - in common.
guessing its a really really really budget ram and had a typo because of how cheap it was.

timings and such make sure the new stick is setup correctly, ram is RARELY plug and play.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrader View Post

guessing its a really really really budget ram and had a typo because of how cheap it was.

timings and such make sure the new stick is setup correctly, ram is RARELY plug and play.
Yeah, they came from a pre-built which has steadily been upgraded.

But, with the new RAM, I can't even get to BIOS to set it up. I have cleared the CMOS and still same thing, so I wonder if the sticks are DOA.

Maybe i'll just stay with 4GB memory, it's only an office PC for light web browsing and emails. The SSD made a huge difference over the 5400rpm disk already.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,556 Posts
seems you might be replacing buffer ram w/unbuffered(?)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-memory-for-PC-systems/Acer-X480G-Not-Recognising-Memory-Upgrade/td-p/49534
Quote:
I have the same memory installed on a Gateway with ACER MoBo....here's what I know so far...that memory is FULLY BUFFERED and the MoBo probably won't recognize unbuffered SDRAM. Mine is also labeled GDDR3-1333 and bears the part number GU512303EP0202. My conclusion after much surfing and reading is that the machine will run best with the buffered memory in it and I'm simply going to have to wait for 4GB buffered modules to become available. Buffered memory is a tad slower due to the buffer read, but is much less error-prone and thus the machine should be more stable. Servers, routers, and MACs all run buffered memory. As for the GDDR3 it should designate graphics memory which should not work as system memory unless some proprietary MoBo innovation has been created. I wonder if the memory was simply mis-labeled GDDR3?
i googled:
gu512303ep0202

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

Huh... Interesting... The pc was indeed an Acer...

The motherboard is an Asrock H55m, so I was expecting it could use unbuffered RAM. I wonder why this limitation is in place...

Is there good buffered RAM on the market?
usually buffered ram is labelled as FBDIMM so I doubt it is. I had the same problem when I bought a i5 750 with board and RAM a few years back that I upgraded with vengeance also. After a few tries of plugging, removing, resetting the BIOS it worked. I don't really know how, but eventually it did, but as 1333 RAM and not 1600. I then overclocked the FSB to get 1600 xD

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

usually buffered ram is labelled as FBDIMM so I doubt it is. I had the same problem when I bought a i5 750 with board and RAM a few years back that I upgraded with vengeance also. After a few tries of plugging, removing, resetting the BIOS it worked. I don't really know how, but eventually it did, but as 1333 RAM and not 1600. I then overclocked the FSB to get 1600 xD
Is there any software that can tell if it's buffered? The CPU-Z memory tab has that field greyed out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts