Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So its that time again when I am thinking of upgrading my rig of 3.5 years now.

here's my current spec:

MB: ASUS P5LD2 VM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 MHz (E6300)
RAM - 3 GB DDR-2 (1GB+2GB memory sticks - 667 & 800 mhz,running @ 667)
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital, 500 GB SATA Seagate
DVD Writers - Samsung 16X, MoserBaer 16X
Graphics Card - MSI 9800GTX+ 512 MB
Monitor - LG 17 inch Flatron (not LCD)
SMPS - Cooler Master 650 Watts

now i have 2 options:
1. upgrade to a core i5 750 with a suitable p55 mobo from asus/msi. have considered i7 9xx & i7 8xx series but they are expensive and i feel i5 will suit me just fine - would be using it mostly for gaming. think i can live without hyper threading & 3 way DDR3 memory boost.

2. overclock my bottlenecked cpu! - my rig plays even the current games just fine (ofcourse crysis is always an exception). but i feel if i m able to OC my cpu i dont think i would need to upgrade.

however, i m a total noob when it comes 2 overclocking - never done it, dont know much about it, though have read about it on the net.

so i would really appreciate if someone would be helpful enough to post a guide/step by step tutorial specifically to overclock a e6300 on asus p5ld2-vm board? i ve read somewhere that my cpu has great overclocking potential & it can even reach 3 ghz! i wud however just be ocing for probably 2-2.6 ghz max so that it evens out when i game with the 9800 gtx+.

also, i have read that overclocking can damage hdd as well? is this true? if yes, then plz lemme know how i can avoid that cz i wudnt wanna lose 1.5 TB of data!

alternatively, in case u guys feel that an upgrade is better, feel free 2 post suggestions.

thx a lot!
Slayer

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
It's very difficult to read your post... Sorry, let me rephrase that.

its very diffcult 2 read ur pst

On a more serious note, that mobo is not the best for overclocking. You can get 10%-20% out of it maybe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tNok85 View Post
It's very difficult to read your post... Sorry, let me rephrase that.

its very diffcult 2 read ur pst

On a more serious note, that mobo is not the best for overclocking. You can get 10%-20% out of it maybe.

thx 4 ur response

i guess then it wud be better if i upgraded? cud u suggest me a gud bt not 2 expensive board 2 go wid da i750?

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riou View Post
I am sorry OP, but the text speak is difficult to read.
Agreed... it's frustrating to read.

Are you posting from a phone or something?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok great, but as requested by me in my original post, can 1 of you please post a step by step tutorial (level: beginner) to overclock E6300 (1.86ghz) on ASUS P5LD2-VM board - I am not looking at 3 ghz+, just a healthy 2.6-2.8 ghz would serve me fine, i think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 other thing: i read that my mobo model BIOS has an option called 'Overclocking Profile' in which I would not have to do anything but select preset options like 'Overclock by 5 mhz, 10 mhz & so on'.

Would this be a good option to start for someone who has absolutely NO experience in overclocking?

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
First thing you should do is start at stock spec for your cpu, and ram. Then increase your FSB by say 10-20MHz increments until your system becomes unstable after testing with prime 95 or intel burn. Once you reach that threshold back off by like 5MHz until your system is stable again. Watch your RAM because when you raise the FSB your RAM will OC with it. Its best to underclock your RAM to begin with so that you dont push it to far out of its rated frequency. hope that helps.

Also keep an eye on your temps. that is a critical element that I left out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
First check your temps...if they are low 40s and below overclock the heck out of it. If you can get a 1ghz overclock out of it then consider yourself lucky and stick with what you have for a while.

The main reason I said check temps is that you might wanna get a new cooler...which could be used on your new rig too if you choose to go that route. But overclocking is fun to start with and very satisfying if you reach a certain goal. Never pass up an opportunity to learn something new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJack View Post
First check your temps...if they are low 40s and below overclock the heck out of it. If you can get a 1ghz overclock out of it then consider yourself lucky and stick with what you have for a while.

The main reason I said check temps is that you might wanna get a new cooler...which could be used on your new rig too if you choose to go that route. But overclocking is fun to start with and very satisfying if you reach a certain goal. Never pass up an opportunity to learn something new.

yeah i know - am always open to learning new stuff and this is something i would really like to get my paws into. the only problem is that I have read horror stories on the web that if not done properly can blow up your hard disk as well as your graphics card. I just can't afford to lose any of those! I can live without the cpu, ram & motherboard bcoz those I am anyways planning on upgrade but hdd & my 9800 gtx+ -> that would be invaluable to lose

your thoughts on this F.E.A.R? :-!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts