Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is my second computer build and I am very happy with it so far, but I am ready to take it to the next level and I would like to upgrade to a better CPU air cooler so I can get a stable overclock. When I first built the computer I was using a Coolermaster V6 and was getting a what seemed to be a very stable 3.9 over clock on a Phenom II 3.0 Quad core, also unlocked to 5 cores ( all with using asus overclock / unlock software ) until recently when I decided that the coolermaster wasnt for me because it completely took out the option for a side panel 200mm fan. SO. I took out the Coolermaster and installed the stock cpu cooler so I could use the awesome blue led 200mm side fan. This is not ideal because now my cpu doesnt stay stable at 3.9 anymore. Im guessing because of cooling issues. Anyway I would like to try water cooling but this computer has costed me a lot of money and because i'm a newbie, i would rather not watercool until ive owned the computer for a while at least. So basically what i'm asking is, are there any good mid size cpu coolers that I could use that would give me good performance and not take up my side fan/ram space.

My system specs:

NZXT Phantom Full Tower
Asus Crosshair IV Formula AM3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
240GB Agility 3 SSD
Dual Asus Radeon 6850's

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well, possibly one of the Noctua high-end heatsinks, but if I were you, I would just go with watercooling. It is a lot easier to install than it might seem. Watching how to vids on how to install them, or reading how tos make it sound a lot harder. I can guide you through it on skype or something if you would like
smile.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im gonna go with the NH-C14 because ive been looking that that one myself and it seems like the only possible drawback it might have is the ram clearance. i am definitally gonna go with watercooling later on down the road when i have more money and have owned this computer long enough to not be completely upset if i happen to mess something up during the watercooling install adventure. lol. thanks a lot for your time guys and i will be posting some pics on this page after i get the NH-C14 from newegg and get it installed so everyone can see my setup =)

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Honestly I would just go with a water cooler, H100 or full water cooling, I have the same case as you and for the longest time I had the 200mm fan on the outside of the case because it wouldn't fit on the inside. You can fit an H100 at the top of the case under the 2 200mm fans or you can have a full rad at the top of the case

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda View Post

Honestly I would just go with a water cooler, H100 or full water cooling, I have the same case as you and for the longest time I had the 200mm fan on the outside of the case because it wouldn't fit on the inside. You can fit an H100 at the top of the case under the 2 200mm fans or you can have a full rad at the top of the case
Exactly... I modded my HAF 922 and dremeled out half of the I/O section. Then I dremeled a circle for the third fan... Just that third fan on my 360mm radiator decreased my temps by 10C!!!!!!

I'll upload pics when I have time
smile.gif

·
Registered
870 Posts
You can go with the H100 if you want pain free water cooling just for the CPU. A full blown water cooling install defiantly gives you edge but involves more intense and thorough upkeep and maintenance aka changing liquid, cycling, etc... But you can find nice guides on this via google. Good thing about H100 is you can Water cool just the CPU without any need for upkeep/maintenance of a full blown water cooling system. If you do get a water cooling system get a good quality one and watch out for condensation etc. It is a very advanced fun type of install but you will really have an edge with Overclocking due to the increased conductivity and lower temps, B. It just looks cool as heck if you have green liquid flowing thru your PC. And C. You will have a PC that is PinDrop Silent, if noise bothers you. Personally the noise on my pc helps me sleep at night because i like some kind of sound when i fall asleep as complete silence at night makes my ears ring.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda View Post

money spent now will pay off in the long run when your rig is all nice and awesome
+1 Totally agree on this statement. I've been telling people for years that it is not worth getting a "beginner item", then upgrading, and upgrading, and upgrading, then finally you have the best. It will be 3-4 times as much money than buying the best, and getting it over with...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts