Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! My sister is occasionally playing sims 3 and I,from time to time,play BF3 on her laptop.The temperatures average about 80-83C and they peak at around 89-90C on one of the cores.That's after 3 hours long gaming sessions.Are this temperatures save for a laptop? I don't have any knowledge when it comes down to laptops,i only know about personal computers.
Her laptop is the Lenovo Y570 with i7-2670QM,GT555M,8GB RAM DDR3.She doesn't have a cooling pad.Thx in advance!

·
Registered
981 Posts
To me personally that seem pretty hot, especially when it's in the 90C range. I'm no expert on laptops either so we shall wait till someone else chimes in. Anyway, there's my two cents
2cents.gif

·
Registered
900 Posts
Those temps are safe and seem about right for most laptops but it really could be better. I'm thinking she needs to clean the fans/heatsinks on the laptop, perhaps blow some compressed air into it to remove some of the dust. If this doesn't help then most likely it's a bad manufacturer thermal paste application.

If your up for it and if her warranty is out already then perhaps carefully taking the laptop apart and redo the thermal paste would help. Some people reports of temps reduction in over 8-12C just by redoing the thermal paste.

My last laptop dropped an incredible 12C just by redoing the thermal paste, HP did a horrible paste job on the older HP dv6 series.

The cheapest most effective and in fact I still think the best to this day laptop cooling pad is the Belkin cooler which curves and only has one fan in the middle. Belkin has recently updated this laptop cooler into the Belkin Cooling Lounge which cost around 30 bucks at Walmart. Still the best and most effective if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do it but im not very sure ill be able to.New TIM on personal computers is.easy,not sure how it is on laptops.Is it hard?She doesnt have warranty,she bought the pc from USA and we live in Bulgaria.She bought it few months ago,august 2012.She plays only for around 2 hours a daty,are this tempa going to hurt her laptop?I didnt expected temps like the one on my pc but i.didnt expected them to be soo high...

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
900 Posts
I recommend you find some information on how to take apart the laptop first before going into it. Changing the thermal paste requires you to take a part the laptop to get access to it_ You might be able to locate a tutorial if you search around enough. Perhaps even find a Video on youtube (if your country allows access to youtube)

It won't hurt the laptop as long as you do everything correctly and ground yourself to the laptop to prevent any static(as with all electronic devices)

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,532 Posts
A peak temp of 90*C is a little high... but nothing bad.
tongue.gif
However repasting is probably a good idea at this point.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,monitoring with HwInfo and MSI Afterburner combination gave me around 82-83C average,only one peak at 90C,that's with ambient of around 21-22C.I'm a bit afraid doing it,the laptop is new and i'm not entirely confident in my skills when it comes to laptops.If it was my PC,meh,i'll do it in 5min,but laptop...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommanche View Post

I'd recommend trying out a cooling pad and see how that helps before opening up the laptop and pissing off your sister
smile.gif
I don't really think my sister would like the cooling pad idea,they aren't that cheap in Bulgaria.
She isn't even playing every day so i think i'll leave it like that for now,i bet 1-2 hours MAX per day won't hurt the CPU @ 80C,am i right?If she starts playing more,which i highly doubt,i'll reapply the thermal compound,it would be a good enought reason for my parents to get me a new TIM,my old one is gone
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before 30 minutes,i booted the PC and tested it out.I guess yesterday there was something with the laptop because currently,the temps are around 70-75C.The core max is 81C,using thermal efficiency option from Lenovo cooling menu.Is this safe now? Some cores at @ 69 or lower than 70C.The ambient,i don't know what is it,i have my i5 in the same room,my CPU temps are around 33-22-23-24 as we're speaking,i guess ambient of around 17C?
The GPU (GT555M) is @ 82C currently,quite hot!!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: So,my max core was around 81-2C but i thought it's still too much.The GPU was @ 87C.I decided to check the frames per second,and I got amazed - 100-110FPS.I immediately shut down the game and went into Nvidia Control Panel,where i forced Vsync.Now,the frames are still smooth(60fps all the time) ,gpu temps are @ 71C max and CPU temps are between 60C and 67C.Max core temp now is 67C.I know you can't call this a fix,but my sister isn't playing anything else and i think this is the perfect solution for her.Temps of 67C max,avg 65C(according to HWInfo) seems quite good for gaming,even if they are long sessions.
Not the perfect one,but still a solution.What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There's really no need to go over 60 FPS if the laptop's screen doesn't support it, and 120hz laptop screens are very rare.

In the past, my laptop would be running at 300 FPS in TF2 when it's displaying the "select a team or spectate" menu, the "pick a character" menu, or the death screenshot. I forced TF2 to run at a max of 60 FPS, and the CPU/GPU ran 5 C cooler.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Day View Post

There's really no need to go over 60 FPS if the laptop's screen doesn't support it, and 120hz laptop screens are very rare.

In the past, my laptop would be running at 300 FPS in TF2 when it's displaying the "select a team or spectate" menu, the "pick a character" menu, or the death screenshot. I forced TF2 to run at a max of 60 FPS, and the CPU/GPU ran 5 C cooler.
Yes indeed! After i capped it @ 60fps,i get max temp of 67C.Otherwise,it was around 80C.67C - pretty save temperature,what do you think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts