Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i built my system in my sig but the NB was overheating so i got a HR-05 to put on top of it. i cpu was then too hot so i reseated my heatsink and hr-05 NB cooler. now the pc switches on for 5 seconds and cuts off for 3 seconds and on for 5 seconds and off for 3 seconds over over again. i changed memory, GPU and reseated all heatsinks but still will not work. i even cleared cmos by removing the BAT for 20 mins.

please help, i have tried all i can.

BTW_i got the hr-05 due to NB causing stability issue after 1 hour prime95 with my quad q6600

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
i built my system in my sig but the NB was overheating so i got a HR-05 to put on top of it. i cpu was then too hot so i reseated my heatsink and hr-05 NB cooler. now the pc switches on for 5 seconds and cuts off for 3 seconds and on for 5 seconds and off for 3 seconds over over again. i changed memory, GPU and reseated all heatsinks but still will not work. i even cleared cmos by removing the BAT for 20 mins.

please help, i have tried all i can.

BTW_i got the hr-05 due to NB causing stability issue after 1 hour prime95 with my quad q6600
You did make sure to use the plastic washers for the mounting bracket and the rubber piece for the base of the HR-05, correct?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i only used washers for the 2 screws into the MB.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
no i only used washers for the 2 screws into the MB.
You didn't use that little rubber thing for the base not to come in contact with the area around the NB? You probably should put that on.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Sounds like most likely something is still overheating and tripping a thermal alarm causing the comp to shut down, other thing it could be, but less likely is that your PSU is causing it-- but I doubt it since you were having previous thermal issues. You could check the PSU to rule it out though if you've got a multimeter.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It sounds like the psu or mobo. The screws might be shorting it out, like said above, but I don't have the rubber washers on mine. Is the head of the screws bigger than the ring that looks like where the screw should go? Do you have another psu you could try? I doubt it is overheating in 5 seconds so I don't think heat is the issue.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I had the same problem with my board- reset the cmos

I orginally thought it was the powersupply but found out after RMA that it was just that the bios had corrupted. Reset it and you should be fine!

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i put the rubber washers on and the rubber square that comes with the HR-05. I also reseated all heatsinks and reset Cmos by removing the BAT for 10 Mins however it is still switching off after 5 secs then switching on itself for another 5 secs ect.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
my friend i think your nb went to hell. it happened to me before.. new mobo for you.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seriously?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but the nb was fine was fine then i switched off the pc, reseated cpu heatsink and it short circuits

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superon
View Post

Sounds like most likely something is still overheating and tripping a thermal alarm causing the comp to shut down, other thing it could be, but less likely is that your PSU is causing it-- but I doubt it since you were having previous thermal issues. You could check the PSU to rule it out though if you've got a multimeter.

Yah make sure the fan on your CPU is spinning... sounds like an overheating issue

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i tried nb stock heatsink but i still have a problem. i reseated all heatsinks on the motherboard but still there is a big issue here. i can't see damage to any part of the pc including the NB.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinstrong
View Post

I had the same problem with my board- reset the cmos

I orginally thought it was the powersupply but found out after RMA that it was just that the bios had corrupted. Reset it and you should be fine!

I'm telling you, all you have to do is reset the cmos. I had the same problem and that is how I fixed it! In my gaming rig, I have the EP35-DS3L

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did. i took the BAT out for 20 mins and in the book it tells you to put a screw driver in between the two pins for 10 seconds to reset the Cmos. i have done it all and it still will not work.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts